Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2015, 19:47   #46

Re: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I've never ever heard that term anywhere..
Nor had I, specifically. However, the English vocabulary works something like this:

1) hard = difficult, as opposed to solid
2) yards = distance, as opposed to landscaping

Thus, 1 + 1 = 2. It took me about one-tenth of a second to understand what the poster meant by "hard yards".

Quote:
In any case, me thinks you are mistaking these "sailing vlogs". I don't beleive they are about sailing at all.
No, I am far from mistaken. However, you are completely correct about those "vlogs" not being about sailing to the most part. They are about "How can we, as uneducated 20-somethings without 2 nickles to rub together, con others to sponsor our bum-about lifestyle."

Quote:
These are "cruising vlogs", where its more about the experience and the destination than sailing. Shocking I know, since we are talking about this on "Cruisers Forum".
Not shocking, at all. However, for video-related experience and destination, I prefer to watch the Hiscocks in the 1950s. That's TRUE cruising. In fact, over their 3-year circumnavigation they spent "8 DAYS" ashore. Please read that again: "8 DAYS". No begging for beer/diesel money via a youtube channel. Yes, they eventually sold their movie to BBC, yet for 3 years they were "cruisimus maximus".

Quote:
If you are interested in vlogs about sailing.
I'm not.

Quote:
Why don't you create one of your own. I would be interested to see the viewership numbers and how long you could make videos before you run out of content!
There are two types of people in this world. 1) Those that LIVE their lives without the constant need to videotape/photograph everything, as their memory banks are big enough to retain those memories until passing over to the other side, and 2) those who grew up with youtube and measure their success by viewership numbers.

Please guess which camp I belong to. Ok, I'll help you. It's number 1.

Old 01-09-2015, 20:38   #47

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup... Ok...

Old 01-09-2015, 21:53   #48

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Nor had I, specifically. However, the English vocabulary works something like this:

1) hard = difficult, as opposed to solid
2) yards = distance, as opposed to landscaping

Thus, 1 + 1 = 2. It took me about one-tenth of a second to understand what the poster meant by "hard yards".

No, I am far from mistaken. However, you are completely correct about those "vlogs" not being about sailing to the most part. They are about "How can we, as uneducated 20-somethings without 2 nickles to rub together, con others to sponsor our bum-about lifestyle."

Not shocking, at all. However, for video-related experience and destination, I prefer to watch the Hiscocks in the 1950s. That's TRUE cruising. In fact, over their 3-year circumnavigation they spent "8 DAYS" ashore. Please read that again: "8 DAYS". No begging for beer/diesel money via a youtube channel. Yes, they eventually sold their movie to BBC, yet for 3 years they were "cruisimus maximus".

I'm not.

There are two types of people in this world. 1) Those that LIVE their lives without the constant need to videotape/photograph everything, as their memory banks are big enough to retain those memories until passing over to the other side, and 2) those who grew up with youtube and measure their success by viewership numbers.

Please guess which camp I belong to. Ok, I'll help you. It's number 1.
Not sure about the others, but the principal 20-something on Delos who for some reason you believe doesn't have two nickels to rub together claims to be the founder of a successful software co. and continues to work for this same co. from the boat. According to his bio, he spent a fair portion of his life working 24/7 to develop this co. and then decided he didn't like himself much and so went sailing. Since you're such a quick study, I'm sure it won't take you more than 3/10 of a second to read up on it and determine whether its credible.

Oh, and by the way, why do we care? If videos centered around sailing the world on a 50'+ Amel Super Maramu contain too many bikinis and footage of exotic Asian destinations, then I'd suggest you don't watch. If you do watch but are offended by the option they provide for donations, then simply opt-out. Not sure it only took me your 1/10 of a second, but even I caught on pretty quick to that one. Lately it looks like the Delos folks are also earning some extra cruising funds by using their website for people to pay them to cruise onboard their boat. If that's offensive to you too then I would suggest you not apply. Simple, huh?

To the OP -- another set of videos I found interesting and entertaining, and yes with an emphasis on actual sailing, is "Guidos Sailing." Last I checked there were over an hour of free vids but I think you have to pay to see more. Not sure how old Guido might be, how much education he's had, or how many nickels he may or may not have to rub together, but this looks like another "vlog" which would also clearly not be recommended for PortClydeMe.

I'm off to watch the video about the Hiscocks which I'm sure I'll enjoy as much as the others mentioned here. Hats off to the efforts ALL of these sailors make to entertain & inform the rest of us.
Old 01-09-2015, 21:55   #49

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Can we go back to the videos with the girls in Bikinis?

I like Skip Novak's how-to videos myself.

https://youtu.be/YSexcg7f4vU

The monetization of video blogs is just following the recent technologies that companies like Facebook and Youtube has made available "recently". When youtube first came out you could not get paid for advertising, you could not put links in the videos, or easter eggs. Patreon did not exist.

Now, they do and you can. So, its natural for people to reach out to make some money to go sailing. I don't watch video's of people asking for donations. It like they are coming and knocking on my front door. But there are some clever ways of getting someone to donate that is not a hard sell.
Old 01-09-2015, 23:30   #50

Boat: wharram tiki 26

@ EXILE thanks mate for the heads up https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJ...MYuQnS_eugSvlA
Old 02-09-2015, 00:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Not sure about the others, but the principal 20-something on Delos who for some reason you believe doesn't have two nickels to rub together claims to be the founder of a successful software co. and continues to work for this same co. from the boat. According to his bio, he spent a fair portion of his life working 24/7 to develop this co. and then decided he didn't like himself much and so went sailing. Since you're such a quick study, I'm sure it won't take you more than 3/10 of a second to read up on it and determine whether its credible.
My mistake. I must have missed that point, or it's very well hidden. So, the name of Sailing Bill Gates Jr's software company is what? Care to share?

From my memory, and I glanced at two of their videos, I could swear that they mentioned that they could not sail full time due to lack of funds and the need to do day jobs from time to time just to get beer/food/diesel money.

I'll need to pay better attention. No, strike that. I could care less whether they have 2 nickles or the latest/greatest NASDAQ IPO. Their sailing videos bore me.

Fair winds, my friend.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:54   #52

Quote:
My mistake. I must have missed that point, or it's very well hidden. So, the name of Sailing Bill Gates Jr's software company is what? Care to share?

I have a feeling the guy is too smart to share such personal info on the internet, but since you're so curious about his professional background & financial wherewithal you can have a look here if you wish: The Crew | Delos Sailing Crew. He goes around giving lectures at yacht clubs and covers this apparently "vital" info in at least one of those videos as I recall. But be warned that you run the risk of increasing his cruising revenues if you watch it! Maybe just hit the "Not Like" button to be safe?

From my memory, and I glanced at two of their videos, I could swear that they mentioned that they could not sail full time due to lack of funds and the need to do day jobs from time to time just to get beer/food/diesel money.

Could very well be, or it could have been his brother & girlfriend who crewed for awhile but then had to bail to get some work. Your point?

I'll need to pay better attention. No, strike that. I could care less whether they have 2 nickles or the latest/greatest NASDAQ IPO. Their sailing videos bore me.
From your previous comments, it actually sounds like you do in fact care. Then again, being bored by their videos is certainly understandable, as is being taken aback a bit by all the donation requests one encounters these days. In your case, however, not caring about another cruiser's professional background, financial position, or personal history is a good way of not making yourself too busy minding someone else's business. Good thing you have the option of watching other sailing-related videos that are more exciting for you. Meanwhile, Delos & others will continue to earn donations and advertising revenues to help fund their cruising from the thousands of viewers who enjoy the entertainment & information.

Back on topic, another good one I like (in a weird sorta way) is Drake Paragon. Maybe it's already been mentioned, but if you want something focused more on sailing then I'd suggest that his singlehanded Bermuda vids are pretty priceless. No bikinis or wild parties so Clyde shouldn't get offended, although Drake now has a very cool drone which might just be a tad too entertaining for some. But watch out! Drake has a donation link too! So caution to all those who are vulnerable to getting "conned" out of giving up their money to such devilish schemes!
Old 02-09-2015, 13:28   #53

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Not a video blog per se, but I like this guys writing.He is about to cruise a part of the world that interests me. Solstice Sailing The World's Oceans | Solstice Home I suppose it's all about what you like in the end.
Nothing wrong with a bit of titillation and palm trees,but as others have posted there really is some great informative stuff out there that is neither dry nor didactic.
Old 02-09-2015, 16:41   #54

Quote:
From your previous comments, it actually sounds like you do in fact care. Then again, being bored by their videos is certainly understandable, as is being taken aback a bit by all the donation requests one encounters these days. In your case, however, not caring about another cruiser's professional background, financial position, or personal history is a good way of not making yourself too busy minding someone else's business. Good thing you have the option of watching other sailing-related videos that are more exciting for you. Meanwhile, Delos & others will continue to earn donations and advertising revenues to help fund their cruising from the thousands of viewers who enjoy the entertainment & information.

Just a flurry of unsupported nonsense. Bravo! Listen, it is YOU that mentioned that those bums are software tycoons, not me. Thus, I asked you to name his company. You could not. So before throwing up nonsense "fluff" about sailing bums who beg via the Net for cruising money, maybe best to check your facts first. I won't be clicking on the link that you provided. If you have any info to share, then share it here. If not, well....

Oh, and regarding my dislike of their boring bikini videos, it remains. For those exited by idiot 20-somethings in bikinis begging for cash, please have at it.

Quote:
Back on topic, another good one I like (in a weird sorta way) is Drake Paragon. Maybe it's already been mentioned, but if you want something focused more on sailing then I'd suggest that his singlehanded Bermuda vids are pretty priceless. No bikinis or wild parties so Clyde shouldn't get offended, although Drake now has a very cool drone which might just be a tad too entertaining for some. But watch out! Drake has a donation link too! So caution to all those who are vulnerable to getting "conned" out of giving up their money to such devilish schemes!
Yes, I've watched his videos. They were a tad better before he starting dragging the new girlfriend into them, but they do offer some interesting info on boats and cruisers from time to time. That said, I don't "donate" to anyone but myself! If folks want to spend loads of time posting videos, it's their right. However, I would never donate my money to such doings.

Fools and their money are soon parted.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-09-2015, 16:53   #55

Boat: Cascade 36

Hey everyone,

My wife and I recently set out on a voyage that we hope will take us to many far off destinations. We are currently in Mexico and are originally from Alaska. We started making a vlog series to highlight the SAILING and adventure travel. You can see our first video below. And here is a little about ourselves. Sorry if this seems like too much of a plug. Like many of you guys said. Making video is TIME consuming and expensive. And it would be a shame if no one knew to watch them after investing soo much!

Cheers and thanks!
Erik

Quote:
One blistery winter morning four years ago, Erik and Meagan stumbled onto a plan... two boats, several uninsured surgeries, countless unforgettable friendships, and a whole lot of work later they, along with their furry companion, Nikka, finally sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned left. Traveling South along the west coast of the Americas, and then on to ...? Your guess is as good as theirs, maybe they’ll sail over to Hawaii, maybe sail around the world.

They once heard a wise man say “routine is the time killer,” and they took it to heart. They are sailing the Pacific Ocean attempting to live every day with their eyes open and minds engaged. For the first time living each day excited about the possibility of tomorrow instead of dreading or trying to control it.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/dCejFdm-Ces
Old 02-09-2015, 17:25   #56

Quote:
I don't "donate" to anyone but myself!
Finally, a statement that's believable.

I like Drake's girlfriend. Besides, she sailed across the N. Atlantic with him to Iceland, the Faroes, Ireland, and beyond. Can't imagine not including her in the vids.
Old 02-09-2015, 17:53   #57

Port, please read the title of the thread.

If this isn't something that interests you, find a thread that does.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 02-09-2015, 18:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Port, please read the title of the thread.

If this isn't something that interests you, find a thread that does.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey, the ORIGINAL post interested me. Due to the "title of the thread", I initially posted a "thumbs up" () to the great sailing/cruising/live aboard/circumnavigation movie titled "Beyond the West Horizon" (Eric and Susan Hiscock).

In that same post, I mentioned that the "boat beggar bums" videos are boring. The way that this thread has morphed since my original post can probably be attributed to the feathers of folks who live vicariously through bikini videos being ruffled. That's the long and short of it.

Circumnavigation interests me. People attempting to retire on youtube clicks/donations is a laughable enterprise.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:21   #59

Quote:
Finally, a statement that's believable.

I like Drake's girlfriend. Besides, she sailed across the N. Atlantic with him to Iceland, the Faroes, Ireland, and beyond. Can't imagine not including her in the vids.
Personally, I found his content more interesting, and concise, when he was running solo. Like the time he bashed his pulpit when towing the disabled vessel on his single-handed sail to Bermuda. Or his interview with the fellow living aboard the Nonsuch. The love interest slows his viddies down a tad, and she often has a sour look on her puss. That's all.

Did you find a name for the software company yet? Moreover, rounding up a few folks in a room to hear you blab on with a PowerPoint slide show is not a "lecture circuit".

Lastly, if you prefer to donate your money to strangers sailing their boats, as opposed to sailing your own boat, then please be my guest.

Fairest of winds to you.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:28   #60

Quote:
Circumnavigation interests me. People attempting to retire on youtube clicks/donations is a laughable enterprise.
I really shouldn't . . . but . . . sometimes I just can't help myself. You do realize Clyde, do you not, that many of these sailors that you call, among other things, "boat-beggar-bums," are in fact circumnavigating?

Hey Salticrak -- thanks for the link to "Solstice." That looks like another winner, and I like their choice of boat too.

Tags
circumnavigation, logs, men, navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: