Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2015, 18:07   #31

Re: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunSailing View Post
@southernfreedom

Well said! I have been really enjoying Untie the Lines. I can't wait for her next season!
I like that one, but am sort of turned off by what seems to be a lot of guys helping the heroine behind the scenes, particularly in the later episodes...

Old 10-02-2015, 18:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I like that one, but am sort of turned off by what seems to be a lot of guys helping the heroine behind the scenes, particularly in the later episodes...
that young lady needs help, but with every failed attempt at something she grits her teeth, someone gives her a hand and she moves on, its only natural guys would be the first on the scene, she has plenty of girlfriends as well, pretty cool young lady!

Old 10-02-2015, 18:21   #33

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
I dropped by CF for the first time in a couple of years to make a thread just like this one!

I've already seen many of the ones listed here but Return To Seasons posted some new channels that I'd not seen.

Using the YouTube app on a new 4K TV is simply amazing with today's video recorders!

Here are some I follow that have not been mentioned..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIP...glg6QAgEYocQ8Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/Amelit54/videos

This guy is really just getting started, headed for the Bahamas I think. https://www.youtube.com/user/36wetpaint/videos

This is a super fun couple. They speak mostly Italian but you can turn on English captions. https://www.youtube.com/user/rpfeynman64/videos
Thanks, I have enjoyed John Ahern's videos a lot. He also seems like a super nice guy and I hope we get to run into him sometime. Also his ability to single handle a Lipari makes me a bit more comfortable with the idea of one day handling the Helia with the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunSailing View Post
Shaun Sailing here!

@BlueBuddha

First off, thanks for mentioning me! I'm glad you enjoyed my videos!

I totally agree with your comment. Looking back at my series with the knowledge I have now, I would had kept more of a focus on sailing and boat maintenance. I remember that after so many days at sea, you kind of run out of things to film while underway. You can only film the endless water so many times! However, I didn't think of filming things ON the boat! There were so many "funny" while underway repairs and jury-rigs that we had to do, especially in the final rough passage from Fiji to New Zealand.

I don't know if you saw my latest series, where I look at a bunch of potential boat purchases, but I ended up buying a '76 Bayfield 25 at the end of 2014. I had to put it on the hard almost immediately (for the winter), so no videos yet, but my next series (this year) I'll be fixing it up and hopefully rigging it for future coastal ocean cruising.

I'll try to keep future videos within my initial intended 'theme' of a shared learning experience for "newer" sailors (or just plain humour for "experienced" sailors to laugh at my mistakes) rather than travel blogs and island tours.
Nice to see you around here. Yes, I've followed your boat shopping videos and I'm looking forward to more!

I am never annoyed when people ask for donations in their videos. I know the amount of time, resources, and effort that takes to make and edit such videos. I've been involved in independent film/tv production for over a decade and the feasibility of the the entire industry is at a very low point primarily because the internet made people feel entitled to free entertainment. Somehow people feel that others should make cool entertaining videos, put them online for free, and don't dare ask for donations, as if they are entitled to the free work of the filmmakers. A couple of years ago we finished a film that did very well on TV (HBO). After the broadcast ended we received dozens and dozens of emails asking whether they could watch the film online. We put it for rent and purchase on Vimeo (for a couple of bucks) and told all of the film's followers. NO ONE bought it. Yet when someone put it illegally on youtube for free, it got over 150,000 views in days. Many wrote in social media how they didn't buy it because they knew someone would eventually put it online for free and how they don't pay for movies. I don't understand that type of entitlement.

So Shaun, I will pay for your videos! Best of luck with the new boat!

Best wishes, BB.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:17   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Hopefully you guys won't mind if I put in a little plug for myself. My wife and I are slowly getting started on our circumnavigation having picked up our boat in France and sailed to Florida where we're going to spend another month or two doing some more work, then we'll be setting back out sailing.

I've started working on videos of our adventure and hope to continue getting better and approach the quality of those listed in this thread. I would definitely appreciate any advice/feedback you guys have to offer and things you would be interested in seeing!

Out Chasing Stars YouTube Channel

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:04   #35

Boat: Lagoon 42

+1 for StarryHorizons. I enjoyed reading the posts during the Atlantic passage and the videos are great. Looking forward to more!
Old 04-04-2015, 20:13   #36

Beyond the West Horizon - sailing round the world 1952-1955

This is obviously not a blog or video series, just a little gem of a video documentary I came across recently. I thought perhaps some CF members intrested in circumnavigation or just some photage from the past might find this worthwhile.
Old 19-04-2015, 04:37   #37

Wow, check this one out. Video from the late 80's and now they are out there again.

Come sail with us! Explore exotic places and see how we made it possible. We've lived off the grid for the last 30 years for no more then poverty wages. Our dream became reality. We built Emerald Steel and have been living aboard and cruising since her completion in 1987. Suzie did all of the welding and Jules did all the cutting, grinding and fitting. We were 23 and 36 years old at the beginning of our project in 1985. Our general daily electrical usage is provided by 2- 80 watt solar panels. We also have a 7 kw diesel generator which powers our 1000 gal. per day water maker - designed and built by Jules (although we only use 5 gal per day), hydraulic windlass for our 1/2" chain ,mig welder and plasma cutter which we carry on board.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k_bqDed-L5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 20-04-2015, 03:52   #38

Sorry, bad link... Try this one.

http://youtu.be/k_bqDed-L5g
Old 01-09-2015, 15:47   #39

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I love video blogs. But just recently I have noticed with a few that I am subscribed to seem to be churning out pap,wrapped in salt and palm fronds.
Is this the inevitable result for some of these ''monetized'' blogs?
the quality of the content has thinned remarkably. I wonder if the pressure to produce a ''product'' does take it's toll the longer a sailing blog lasts?
Old 01-09-2015, 16:51   #40

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I love video blogs. But just recently I have noticed with a few that I am subscribed to seem to be churning out pap,wrapped in salt and palm fronds.
Is this the inevitable result for some of these ''monetized'' blogs?
the quality of the content has thinned remarkably. I wonder if the pressure to produce a ''product'' does take it's toll the longer a sailing blog lasts?
Really.. Can you give some examples..

I find the exact opposite.. I find the quality and entertainment value is WAY up.
Old 01-09-2015, 17:59   #41

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Really.. Can you give some examples..

I find the exact opposite.. I find the quality and entertainment value is WAY up.
To be honest mate,i'd rather not, as i feel it would be unfair to the people involved it doing the hard yards. It is just an observation,not a witch hunt.
Old 01-09-2015, 18:36   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfregu View Post
Beyond the West Horizon - sailing round the world 1952-1955

This is obviously not a blog or video series, just a little gem of a video documentary I came across recently. I thought perhaps some CF members intrested in circumnavigation or just some photage from the past might find this worthwhile.
YES! ^^^^^^ That one!

It's a movie shot in the '50s by Eric Hiscock and his wife for BBC. Real sailors, with class! Drinkiing wine whenever and wherever they can. They did a 3-year circumnavigation with only a compass, sextant, and skill. Much more can be gained from watching this one movie than all the 20-something idiot vlogs in which they show their bikinis in hopes of a sponsor because they are merely uneducated jobless bums who happen to have a sailboat. S/V Delos and the like bore me to no end. Living vicariously through others is the apex of uninspired.

1) Watch this movie.
2) Turn off youtube, and disconnect your computer from the Internet.
3) Sail!
Old 01-09-2015, 18:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
To be honest mate,i'd rather not, as i feel it would be unfair to the people involved it doing the hard yards. It is just an observation,not a witch hunt.
Although I only understand 1/2 of what you wrote (WTF is a hard yard), I get the gist..

I resepectfully disagree on both fronts.

The content has certainly changed to impact a wider audience, but just as entertaining!
Old 01-09-2015, 18:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Although I only understand 1/2 of what you wrote (WTF is a hard yard), I get the gist..

I resepectfully disagree on both fronts.

The content has certainly changed to impact a wider audience, but just as entertaining!
"Hard yards" means "Hard-fought nautical miles", if I'm not mistaken. Difficult for you to understand?

Oh, and he/she is completely correct. These modern sailing "vlogs" are fluff with no filler. Watch some real sailors doing the "hard yards" (no GPS, no radar, no fridge/freezer, etc., etc., etc.).

"Beyond the West Horizon"!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 19:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
"Hard yards" means "Hard-fought nautical miles", if I'm not mistaken. Difficult for you to understand?

Oh, and he/she is completely correct. These modern sailing "vlogs" are fluff with no filler. Watch some real sailors doing the "hard yards" (no GPS, no radar, no fridge/freezer, etc., etc., etc.).

"Beyond the West Horizon"!!!!
I've never ever heard that term anywhere..

In any case, me thinks you are mistaking these "sailing vlogs". I don't beleive they are about sailing at all. These are "cruising vlogs", where its more about the experience and the destination than sailing. Shocking I know, since we are talking about this on "Cruisers Forum".

If you are interested in vlogs about sailing. Why don't you create one of your own. I would be interested to see the viewership numbers and how long you could make videos before you run out of content!

Tags
circumnavigation, logs, men, navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: