Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 07:04   #1

Cincinnati to Mobile Motorboat. How long?

Buying a 1989 44’ motor yacht in Cincinnati. Want to motor down to Mobile and then on to St Pete FL. Still working so don’t have unlimited time. I need to find out how long a trip this is (in days). Sign us total newbies but love the adventure!

chejay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 03:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cincinnati to Mobile Motorboat. How long?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, chejay.

Great Loop route distance

The Great Loop - Cincinnati to New Orleans

Cincinnati to Mobile is over 1300 miles, I would guess, so perhaps a month?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 04:49   #3

It depends on a few things:
- What is your cruising speed?
- Any breakdowns or other problems that crop up?
- What season? This can affect the amount of daylight (you don't want to run at night) and if there is flooding which can shut the river system down (spent a month in Grafton Illinois due to flooding shutting down the locks to small pleasure boats)
- How hard do you want to push? Multiple long days pushing on gets tiring surprisingly quickly.

Assuming you can keep up 13mph, 1300 miles translates to around 100hr running time but add in about an hour per lock plus a few hours to account for some no wake areas...maybe 160hr of running time. That's about 20 days at 8hr per day....call it 30 days to account for weather, breakdowns and misc issues (as Gord suggested...about a month).

You might beat it but better no to be under pressure...that's when people do stupid things.

If you can only get a two week block, do what you can and have some bailout points in mind. On the positive side marinas on the Tenn-Tom are pretty affordable. If you get down to Bama/Miss area, you are close enough you can do a long weekend to eat up 200-300miles as it's not that far from Florida. A few of those can quickly finish out the move.

Especially if it's just a delivery trip check into the cost of trucking. While it's a really fun trip, it's not likely to save much over having it hauled (assuming it's small enough to haul).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 14:20   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

At this point February 24 it appears that flooding will be a possible problem. I’am on the upper Mississippi 61 miles north of Grafton, Illinois and have done a lot of boating during flood conditions. Going with the current will save you in fuel use and as long as the locks are operating I wouldn’t be concerned about going. Make sure you have a good chart plotter and chart cards for the inland rivers, having AIS and radar would be a nice plus. I would also suggest a Quimby’s guide it has all the information you need concerning marinas, fuel available, locks, bridges and contact information them. In high water keep a sharp eye for debris, sometimes channel markers will be under water and using the plotter to stay well in the channel will keep you from finding one with the hull. If it was me mid April would be the earliest I would leave, some marinas will not be open until then, May would probably be a better choice. If I can answer any questions send a pm and I’ll send my email.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mob, motor