Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 02:18   #91

Re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

Whilst much of this all sounds a bit fishy, take the time to watch and listen to the interviews. The guy clearly lacks a lot of knowledge like how to even pronounce "jury rig".

As a physio, I can confirm that a fractured clavicle can heal in 4-6 weeks, but it's not clear if it was actually fractured. It may have been a dislocation or partial fracture. The video does show a proximal protuberance of the clavicle. I'd like to see the x-rays. That being said, one would need to immobilize with a sling to minimize the pain and enable healing. Such immobilization results in loss of range of movement and in one video, he has both hands behind his head which is highly unusual with the expected loss of range of movement expected. Hence I suggest a dislocation is more likely.

Clearly from the comments and analysis, he didn't capsize and stay inverted. If there is confusion due to his explanation, it can only be due to his lack of knowledge of what a capsize actually is, lack of knowledge of correct terminology etc..

Anyway in one of the interviews he mentions he slept in his bunk in between each rolling incident "praying" and that he attributes falling asleep and hence stopping praying was the cause of the subsequent two 'capsizes'. Go ahead and roast me, however I'd suggest anyone who relies on praying for their safety at sea and actually believes that God stopped protecting him when he fell asleep and stopped praying is not mentally capable of being safe at sea.

Religious nuts, please proceed to make insane comments on how stopping praying caused the two subsequent events or led to his survival.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:50   #92

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Will only be a matter of time before USA mandates EPIRBS for all coastal/offshore vessels as is the case with some countries allready. Saves enormous amount in search costs.
We had a recent experience with a boat with an epirb that tested good, the uscg was able to receive the distress and all epirb details Except gps coordinates. The Uscg could not get a position fix for 8-12 hours. The hired captain had refused to provide us a route plan, so we couldn't provide anything other than guesstimates. Epirbs are not fool proof., route plans can be very helpful,, maybe not in this guys case,,,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:55   #93

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

That CNN link above does clear up a few things. Obviously the boat was not inverted for 60 days:

"The second mate of the Houston Express probably couldn't believe what he was seeing. Hundreds of miles from land there was a small boat nearby. At first it looked abandoned. It was in bad shape, listing to one side. The crew of the 1,000-foot long container ship thought it was a yacht that had wrecked."

And the fishing by hand thing involved a net, probably the landing net he brought for his fishing expedition. I guess he must have lost his fishing rod in the rollovers.

"The fish weren't cooperating, but after a while Jordan learned they were attracted to his laundry, which he would put out to sea for a rinse. The fish would swim in and out of his clothes and he could easily scoop them up with a hand net, he said."

And the lack of sunburn is explained plausibly here:
"His son spent most of his days in the cabin, out of the sun."

Makes sense for a wintertime float off Hatteras.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08   #94

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
"The fish weren't cooperating, but after a while Jordan learned they were attracted to his laundry, which he would put out to sea for a rinse. The fish would swim in and out of his clothes and he could easily scoop them up with a hand net, he said."
Finally, something from this thread that I can actually use. I'm going to add some used clothing and a net to my abandon ship bag.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:06   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
How do you license common sense?

...And just as we see from daily reports of crashes, gridlock, road rage, etc. having a license is no guarantee of having common sense...

I think this guy either with or w/o a boating license would still get himself in that situation regardless. And the lack of such license did not prevent him from being one tough dude to survive 66 days. Nor would a license make his survival any easier or sooner. We wish it would but deep down we all know it wouldn't.
The driving comparison is an interesting point (and more of a derail, sorry). I do agree that just a licence and a few initial tests is not enough to make a lifelong safer driver. But currently, in North America, there's almost zero in followup driver education, or even effective PR to encourage safer driving. I would say that the boating community as a whole does more to encourage safer boating than the driving community does with driving.

Anyway - what difference might a boating licence have had in this case?
- his info would be on a registry of boaters
- exposure to some level of boating knowledge, not least the minimum requirements for safety equipment for his size of boat and intended use (-cough- float plan, EPIRB for offshore, ditch bag and emergency rations -cough-)
- a bit of a reality check for him as to how much can be involved in making a safe journey
- earlier exposure to the boating community (if it was a group class, for example) which is usually a source for good examples and advice.
- a better understanding of how poor a shape his boat was in?

It's all hindsight at this point. Just glad he survived his education.

[ and, we've always kind of liked Albergs. Here's another reason ]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:37   #96

Boat: Catalina 30

Re: Jury rig vs. Jerry rig:

Jury rig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:37   #97

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I was working on the elizabeth river last thursday night and saw the coast guard helo fly him in. I wasnt sure what was happening at that time but saw the helo fly over downtown norfolk area several times. I am glad he is ok and hope he comes on here to clear up any rumors.

[ and, we've always kind of liked Albergs. Here's another reason ]

I also agree +1 for Albergs
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:38   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

This unedited video interview is simply.......

Video Interview:

Interview With Louis Jordan After Rescue

Old 04-04-2015, 07:44   #99

Liveaboardl,

I am sure this is the first time you will hear this. You darn fool you dam near got yo self killed!

I bet next time when that voice on the radio says stay home you will listen hu?

Glad you made it out of this alive this is your chance take it!

on a side note:

I love how a former owner of the boat describes it in the sales listing.
This is a very well equiped boat ready to sail away today. While she needs some cosmetic touchups, she is a very sound boat.

1963 Pearson Alberg 35 sailboat for sale in South Carolina

Then how a former owner describes her on the forums..

Angel was in very poor condition. She had soft decks, numerous leaks, her rig was loose (you could not get the stays to tighten) and even had possible hull delamination
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:48   #100

Boat: Golden Gate 30

When we bought our first boat, it was a project to say the least. We knew that going into it and our surveyor told us the boat needed work, detailing what it needed, before safely taking the boat offshore. His advice was to motor the boat down the ditch to get home.

He was the only one that told us "do not take this boat outside until you do xyz".

Literally, -EVERYONE ELSE- at the marina told us "ah, just go for it", "you'll be fine", and so forth. They said this knowing very little about the boat or our skill level. The number of people that told me it was not a good idea was 1 versus probably a dozen that said otherwise. I was shocked at how many people were just willing to throw out advice without knowing any of the factors involved.

I see those types all over the marina, giving the same advice. It's scary to me, because it seems those voices drown out the people willing to say "you might wanna think this over a little bit". It breeds a dangerous attitude of ignorance and creates a culture ignorant of safety or preparation.

How many times have I heard things like:
"If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!"
"Just push off, it'll be fine"
"Ah, that's not that hard"
"Go with the boat you have"
"You don't need an electrical system"

These phrases teach people that they can just shove off and worry about the consequences later, not to evaluate themselves, the boat, and the environmental factors to ensure that it's a good idea to push off. I hear them all the time at the marina and I see people completely ignoring the factors involved all the time.

The scary part is that these types drown out those that are the voice of reason. You have one person saying "Let's sit down and think about this", then a dozen others telling you to just go for it and figure it out along the way. How many people would just think that one person was too cautious and the others were right? (it does happen)

Whether this is a factor here or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people told him to just go for it and he'd be fine versus the few that said it wasn't a good idea.

I'll also point out that sailing education SUCKS. My wife and I paid close to $2k for ASA 101 and 103, we never once talked about how to check the weather, navigate, decision making, or manage poor weather conditions. Not a single word of either. Just the same attitude I explained earlier.

The ASA books aren't much help, either. It seems like the books just keep trying to upsell the next class: "You shouldn't do xyz until ASA 10x.".

So, if we want to prevent these types of things from happening, we should stop telling people to just "go for it" and make sailing education more reasonable and effective, encouraging accountability and making sure people know what the risks are.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08   #101

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
I'll also point out that sailing education SUCKS. My wife and I paid close to $2k for ASA 101 and 103, we never once talked about how to check the weather, navigate, decision making, or manage poor weather conditions. Not a single word of either. Just the same attitude I explained earlier.

The ASA books aren't much help, either. It seems like the books just keep trying to upsell the next class: "You shouldn't do xyz until ASA 10x.".
I've taken a bunch of classes through US Sailing all the way through Bareboat. Most were very good; one instructor truly sucked.

If our man in question had even taken the minimum in instruction though, he probably would have been far better off. He probably would not have set sail, knowing that sailing out into bluewater was beyond his capabilities at that point.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23   #102

Boat: Little Harbor 58

[QUOTE=
Gotta say that fellow's sailing choices might not agree with all of us, but staying alive in the winter, in the Atlantic, for that long and being healthy enough to WALK when he got found...that's impressive. Or maybe, that's why the Arabs and many others say that the gods protect madmen and fools....either way, still impressive.[/QUOTE]

I sailed for 42 straight days and had no issues, plenty of food etc. When I was driving to the airport to go home, I started feeling a little wobbly. I parked the truck in long term and waited for the shuttle. I started leaning on the truck thinking I was getting sick. I staggered to the departure desk like a drunk. Made it to the plane and slept to Atlanta. Going up the Jet-way to the terminal, I had to hand walk on the walls of the jet-way. I saw a chair, fell into it and sat for two hours. I had to ask of a wheelchair to get to the next departure gate and on to the plane. Embarrassing. It took me three days to walk straight again. And I never got sick on the boat.

This guy is marching along like he is going to the office.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:36   #103

Boat: Spacesailer 20

As an avowed 'Religious Nut', I am amazed how some people choose to attack those who believe differently to them. If he was Wiccan or Pagan and gave thanks to 'Mother-Earth' would he have been attacked? I seriously doubt it. This guy OBVIOUSLY made some very poor decisions and paid the price. The crew of any boat that gets into strife on the ocean can easily be criticized for making poor decisions by those who are sailing their computers on the 'net.
I don't know this guy, and certainly would have made different choices than he, but he is the one who now has to live with the loss of his home. Many of those who have posted here remind me of the ill informed rabble who attacked the crew of 'The Rebel Heart' after their dream suddenly ended last year. It is sad.
He is alive, and as a reformed atheist, I can say that I am thankful that he can tell his story so that others may be better informed, make better choices and that his family doesn't have to suffer the pain of a disappearance.
As time passes I am certain that there will be more information released and that the facts will become clear. Jumping to conclusions makes no sense to me, but those who are rolling in the mire of self importance and reveling in their own superiority have already passed judgement over this mans life, character and his sanity. I look forward to the facts and his story.
In closing, I am thankful that he survived and I pray that others listen and learn from the FACTS of his circumstance and that he makes an absolute fortune from his story and blesses many people with the cash he makes.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:50   #104

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Angel was in very poor condition. She had soft decks, numerous leaks, her rig was loose (you could not get the stays to tighten) and even had possible hull delamination" Geekatirg

Geek,
How can you be so naïve? These are very UNIMPORTANT issues. However, if he had Satnav, SSB, Radar, Electronic navigation, inverter, AIS, Big screen TV, Manson anchor, electric winches, Bose stereo system, on board watermaker, bow thrusters, dyneema lifelines, and a well worn 45 of "Purple Haze," by Jimmy Hendricks he would have definitely avoided capsize. Good luck and good sailing.

https://youtu.be/VFHPgoZlSWY
Old 04-04-2015, 08:53   #105

Boat: Golden Gate 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
As an avowed 'Religious Nut', I am amazed how some people choose to attack those who believe differently to them.
Wait, what? Who is attacking his religion?
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, member, rescue