Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 19:56   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You used to own an Alberg 35, or did you actually own Angel?
I owned Angel.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 20:05   #17

Boat: Niagara 35

Oh dear. This does sound like it's probably our liveaboardl.

Now the comment in one report that he "lost power" is starting to make more sense. He seems to have had absolutely no clue what he was doing and went out in the middle of winter off Cape Hatteras to go deep sea fishing. Luckily, that's also how he stayed alive.

Here's a quote from a thread he started in June of last year, 6 months before he set out:
Quote:
What's the best way to arrange the sails?
Sometimes I had to put a lot of pressure on the rudder to keep the boat from drifting towards shore.

Sometimes I had the jib set so that it would stop the boat from putting too turning too hard towards either shore! That was golden.

Sometimes when I adjusted the jib, the boat wanted to turn more towards starboard, or port.

I'm still not sure how to detect exactly when an accidental jybe is going to take place. Those things are freaking scary! esp. w/ a wooden boom.

Sometimes, the only way I can go forward is w/ the engine, & then both sails are flapping wildly, but being single-handed, sometimes I just have to let them flap.

I still get turned around into a 360 sometimes too.

Learning to sail is fun, but, I got a lot to learn.
Old 02-04-2015, 20:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I owned Angel.

Wow. Damn shame to see her lost. Do you know if the new owner really was our liveaboardl? The few facts we have seem to fit.
Old 02-04-2015, 20:16   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

As far as I can tell, yes it is. It's not only his ability as a sailor though. Unless he had recently done a complete keel to masthead and stem to stern refit, Angel was in very poor condition. She had soft decks, numerous leaks, her rig was loose (you could not get the stays to tighten) and even had possible hull delamination. Sadly, I told Louis (assuming this is the same person) that Angel was in no condition for offshore use. Unfortunately some people learn things the hard way. Regardless, I'm very glad he's alive and will give him credit for having the balls to survive out there for as long ss he did.

Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 20:31   #20

Quote:
As far as I can tell, yes it is. It's not only his ability as a sailor though. Unless he had recently done a complete keel to masthead and stem to stern refit, Angel was in very poor condition. She had soft decks, numerous leaks, her rig was loose (you could not get the stays to tighten) and even had possible hull delamination. Sadly, I told Louis (assuming this is the same person) that Angel was in no condition for offshore use. Unfortunately some people learn things the hard way. Regardless, I'm very glad he's alive and will give him credit for having the balls to survive out there for as long ss he did.

Yeah, you did your best and bear no responsibility. Here's your words to him in a thread a year ago where he was asking about heavy weather tactics:
Quote:
I would not exactly call that boat "beamy." She's only 9'8". Kinda narrow for her length. Also, the main on that boat has only 2 reef points, not 3. Unless you've replaced it that is. That boat will handle a sea fairly well. Once she's refitted. I wouldn't take her out beyond the breakwater in her current condition. At the least get her hauled and a survey done before attempting to take her out of the harbor.
Old 03-04-2015, 00:00   #21

Quote:
Alberg 35 actually. I used to own that boat.

Well, when ya' replaced the keel bolts ya' shoulda' used a better epoxy!

Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18   #22

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

Its reported a couple of times here in the UK: this one seems to contradict previous owners view on Angel's seaworthyness, however I get the impression the Jordans are not that salty..

Telegraph quote today:

"I knew he had a good seaworthy boat," Frank Jordan said. "I felt the boat was going to keep him alive, so I had all sorts of worries because he's not an experienced sailor."
Louis had left the relative safety of the marina where the boat was moored to "go out and catch some fish."
How his son ended up so far off course was unknown, Jordan said.
"I called him at one point a few days after he left land... and he was a few miles offshore. As far as how he got off track, I don't know," he said.
He said his son's "strong constitution" and religious belief had kept him alive.
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42   #23

Boat: East Orient 32
Lucky to be alive

Here is another story about a sailor rescued after two months at sea. Just wondering how a mono hull could capsize? Lost his keel? Lucky it didn't sink.

Man rescued from capsized boat two months after going missing at sea | US news | The Guardian
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51   #24

Re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

Quote:
I owned Angel.

Ahh so it was your fault!
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:55   #25

Boat: East Orient 32

Here is another article about this:
Man rescued from capsized boat two months after going missing at sea | US news | The Guardian
When I was in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and there was a gale warning, the port captain closed the harbour for anyone coming or going. Not allowed to leave or come in. Might be a good idea to have this rule for other harbours as well to protect idiots as well coast guard who often have to risk their lives in order to save them. Especially in winter.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:56   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

So is he a "cruiser" now or just a "drifter"?😀

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:06   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Lucky to be alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsywoman View Post
Here is another story about a sailor rescued after two months at sea. Just wondering how a mono hull could capsize? Lost his keel? Lucky it didn't sink.

The story about his capsizing and being found on the overturned hull doesn't make any sense. The Alberg 35 is a full keel boat so can't lose its keel. It can't float in an inverted position. It will either sink, or float upright -- there's no other possible attitude.

My WAG on the matter is this -- he lost his rig. The hull was not overturned but just rigless.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The one article I read said he had lost his rig and it was not known how long ago it capsized. I took that to mean he had been knocked down, or possibly rolled, but the boat of course righted itself.

Hell of a story, I can't imagine months of winter weather being constantly wet etc, and surviving. Whatever else he is or isn't, he is one tough guy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Possibly capsized, lost rig and returned upright!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:38   #30

Boat: Irwin 37 Tom's Foolery

wow...got on aftyer 7 years....was in Cleveland when a storm came up. I was out but made it back to the dock just as it hit. Went through a racing fleet to do it (they turned in to me!! I has about 6 skippers...all sailboat owners, onboard and asked what to do..law says racers have right of way...but they turned in to me and the sky was BLACK) anyway after the storm passed they towed in 5 boats, all sunk but floating, with one upside down. We waved to them and they ignored us. The point is these were all 30'ers, some 27...with fixed keels...and one was flipped over, and barely out of the water. So I suspect that the water volume probably equalizes or surpasses the keel weight which will not allow it to upright itself.
tho52mas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, member, rescue