Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 17:31   #166
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

Jordan also says he set up a makeshift mast with a small sail to get the boat headed in a westward direction.

He says he rationed food and water and kept his calorie expenditure low.

"That meant I had to stay inside the boat as much as possible, therefore I didn't have a sunburn, or blisters, as if I were found clinging to an upside-down boat," Jordan said.
End quote

These sound like direct rebuttals to the naysayers claiming he should be in worse shape and approaching England. Funny how they didn't come up till now. Wonder how the small sail was jerry rigged
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 17:36   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It's called piss-poor reporting and happens every day in nearly every reported news story. It really boggles the mind that anyone can still pay to buy a newspaper or is willing to waste their time watch TV news anymore....
Yep. Bad reporting has been going on since at least the 1980's, and likely forever, but it certainly has gotten worse over the last few decades. I quit watching TV news decades ago and don't even bother with the major local papers.

When I was watching TV news, I remember this one report of a small hurricane that had brushed the NC coast. Not much damage but a fair amount of rain with localized flooding. The owner of the TV station obviously has real estate interests because they would run stories about new office buildings that had opened up. That is news? After the hurricane went by the Talking Heads had a "report" that Wilmington and the beaches were still open for business! Head on down east to visit the beach before the end of the beach season.....

The very next report was from the NC Highway Patrol telling people, in no uncertain terms, to STAY OFF THE ROADS down east due to flooding! The funny thing was the look on the Talking Heads faces after the HP contradicted their statement that it was safe to head down east.

Our local media has reported that he weighed 290 pounds when he left SC and was about 200 pounds when rescued. This would explain his relative healthy looking appearance. This was a very effective weight loss plan but certainly not recommended.

He may have done many things wrong but he did survive in circumstances that would have killed many/most.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 18:32   #168

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
All this attacking of him reminds me of the story of James Scott, a young medical student lost lost for 43 days in the snow covered Himalayas in 1992.

Of course the media jumped on him saying he ate a Mars bar (which) he ate on the first day, and the story went through the media that he took 43 days to eat it.

Then, just like quite a few on here, the unknowable critics came out, without waiting for the real story and then that got momentum and off it went.

I wouldn't be surprised if the media is reading CF and got their story about those in the know doubting it from here.

Nothing he has said sounds doubtful enough for me to conclude he's faking it. What is missing is simply answers from the person who was there. In time I have no doubt everything can be answered. If it is fake, I'm fairly certain it will be ascertained, and that will come out too.

Good.
Somebody send me a PM with the corrected Cliff Notes please, as I don't want to read all the thread. I might have a comment, like I don't think he was really out that long.
Has anybody checked the bridge logs to see if the days/times make sense about the claimed time/date he went "out"?
Old 06-04-2015, 18:42   #169

Boat: Caliber 40

How did he cut the shrouds, forestay, backstay? A not easy job with good tools on land.

Has Jordan said how he rid the boat of the toppled mast and rigging?

I lived and sailed in Puget Sound (we have 20 different words to describe liquid falling from the sky) and have left buckets out in the rain on deck. A monumental rain event might put 1" of water into the bottom of a 3-gallon bucket. That translates into less than a pint of water.

So many aspects of this story are either

- reported incorrectly
- not reported at all
- fabricated by someone

I am looking forward to plausible explanations because this would be a great story of perseverance and survival if it turns out to be true in some form or another.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:14   #170
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Good.

Has anybody checked the bridge logs to see if the days/times make sense about the claimed time/date he went "out"?
That was suggested back in post #84, there may be a Washington Post reporter running that check in due course... :-)

The surprisingly modest rate of drift is still the real puzzler, it seems...

2 years ago, the Pearson 365 RUNNING FREE was abandoned about 400 miles from Bermuda, on a passage from Jacksonville to the Onion Patch... I've never found the precise coordinates, but it sounds as if the location was somewhat below the bottom of this map, and well E of the Stream:

Now, that boat was abandoned with the rig still in the boat, so she had more windage than the dismasted ANGEL... And, naturally the spring weather patterns differed from February/March... However, 54 days later, RUNNING FREE fetched up on the beach near Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, having traveled over 700 miles... (for those not familiar with East coast geography, that would be just below the "B" pin on the map) Most likely, without much of a protracted assist from the Gulf Stream...

On the other hand, ANGEL traveled basically from the latitude of Cape Fear, to 200 miles E of Hatteras, due E of the "A" pin, above... From Little River Inlet, the border of South and North Carolina just SW of Wilmington, that's roughly 400 miles, and much of that drift likely on the conveyor belt of the Stream... According to the interview with Mr Jordan, sounds like he made it out to the Stream rather quickly, prior to his first capsize... In any event, his rate of drift figured as a daily average would seem likely to have been less than half of that of RUNNING FREE, despite his proximity to the Gulf Stream...

Must have been one hell of an eddy he got spit out into off of Hatteras, is all I can say... :-)

Adrift 54 days, boat comes ashore on Martha's Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard Times

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:27   #171

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I just hope he doesnt get himself a lawyer and collectively sue all of us foremost experts.... " CSY37

This is a Forum that discusses sailing. Comments based upon the knowable facts, at this time, are clearly within the parameters of free speech unless, however, we have changed our name to the People's Republic of China.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:10   #172
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I've been reading the posts here as they have appeared, and can't help thinking that part of this is our fault for saying "go now!" "it'll work out!" Perhaps we need to work on ways of encouraging that aren't stupid advice.
Ann,

I think he got some sage advice here when asking about hurricanes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
If there's a hurricane & you're caught 3 miles out, and it's just starting, is it safer to turn around & sail to land & seek a hole, or to sail further out to sea?
How many miles can a hurricane move a sailboat under bare poles w/ no sea anchor & maybe a few tires for a drogue?

How far out from land is it considered to be safe, when in bad weather & you can't power or steer?
In regards to going to sea in a hurricane these were just a few of the responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Being at sea in the teeth of hurricane is not safe -- 100 miles out or 500 miles out. Unless perhaps you are 1,000ft Navy Destroyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Let me put it this way:

If you're 1000 miles offshore and get caught in a Hurricane you'll probably die. If you're 3 miles offshore and get caught in a hurricane, you'll definitely die.

Hope that clears it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout View Post

It is NEVER "Safe" to be in a hurricane at Sea...
...and I'll bet you never beat your wife in the first place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hurricanes and Typhoons are seriously dangerous for any vessel (boat or ship).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think its important to get back to shore.

The stuff about being better off at sea is balderdash.

Even if you are getting into a bad bay you then have the opition to get ashore.

I had the dificulty of being involved in a Cat 5 hurricane whilst anchored and I lived... But sure as hell I learned that was just luck. If i was offshore i would have been in deeper poop.

Its not worth your life to die. It really isnt.

If you make a mistake and you are close to safety take that option. At least you will be alive at the bar telling stupid stories. No one listens to ghosts.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Can I respectfully ask how many posters in this thread have actually been through a hurricane/cyclone/typhoon at sea.(I know at least two that have) All the rest are not capable or qualified of giving any advice at all on a topic that may well cost a life. God save the brave from internet "experts'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've been through 3 at sea.

Nowadays if you watch your weather forecasts you can be tied up securely in port when such storms come through. You never ever want to be in a full storm or a hurricane while you are at sea. Even in ships it is not fun.

With sailing vessels I take no chances of bad weather and watch the forecasts religiously prior to getting underway.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:01   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Must have been one hell of an eddy he got spit out into off of Hatteras, is all I can say... :-)
Well, there's one (eddy) out there today -- about 34N 72.5W. That seems to be about 190 mi ESE of Cape Hatteras.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/ima...CurrWatlGS.png

The Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:45   #174

Boat: Mariner 36

I believe him.

When life has been reduced to just you versus the planet earth only one of two things happen. You survive or you don't.
All the rest is chatter. Broken bones, sunburn, weight loss, hair length, experience, money spent, classes taken, equipment condition, blah blah blah. Means nothing.

Water, shelter, food. In that order. Your existence simplified to basic instinct.

Some survive, some don't. I'd say he met the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:58   #175

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"I just hope he doesnt get himself a lawyer and collectively sue all of us foremost experts.... " CSY37
This is a Forum that discusses sailing. Comments based upon the knowable facts, at this time, are clearly within the parameters of free speech unless, however, we have changed our name to the People's Republic of China.
Rognvald, I hope you understand my entire post was tongue in cheek. In reality I will never consider myself a foremost expert on any subject and I dont think he has grounds for bringing suit against any of us.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:38   #176

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post

You have no sense of humour do you?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:37   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Some of the Forum says that but a lot of us say take a course or at least fix your boat and get some advice from a book or sailors on your dock before heading to sea.

Trouble is who on your dock is an experienced sailor that will give you good advice? It's as hard to sort out as who on this forum will give you good advice?
John, I've been hung out to dry on this and other boating forums when I suggest the poster do some research & homework and maybe even read a book. And many of us provide links to answers to the OP question that with a little teeny amount of work on their part they should have been able to find themselves. But we are here to help, so we keep the lectures down to a bare minimum and give 'em the information. Some skippers took me to task for suggesting using Google!!! One guy was so thin-skinned that he got p-o'ed when I suggested: "Chapman's is your friend." Geez...

Louis was/is a moron. Those who salute him for his freedom to do something irrational and plainly stupid seem to miss the point.

Just read the links Louis himself posted that Maine Sail has so nicely collected.

Irrational, stupid and just plain dumb.

I'm glad he's safe, but this guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Inherent in a go now" suggestion is that the OP is QUALIFIED to even cross the road. This guy wasn't.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 19:19   #178
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop View Post
Well, there's one (eddy) out there today -- about 34N 72.5W. That seems to be about 190 mi ESE of Cape Hatteras.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/ima...CurrWatlGS.png

Sure, pretty much anything is possible, I suppose... Including being caught up on one of the world's greatest and most powerful ocean currents (he claimed to be in the Stream very early on in his voyage, and by the time he was first capsized and dismasted), and yet somehow being carried only about 1.5 degrees of latitude to the N over the next 2 months... :-)

One other aspect worth noting, is how supremely unlucky he was to never have been spotted out there over the course of 60+ days... The continental shelf waters between the latitudes of Cape Fear and Hatteras are actually a pretty busy bit of ocean real estate, in terms of the amount of vessel traffic... Between the shipping going into Wilmington, and to a lesser degree Morehead City, and the very busy traffic lanes off Hatteras where ships are either riding the Stream north, or staying inshore or outside the Stream in the opposite direction, the amount of commercial fishing being done out of Beaufort and Oregon Inlets, the research vessels from the NOAA Marine Fisheries Service, and the Duke Marine Labratory run out of Beaufort, well... there's no shortage of vessel traffic wandering around those waters...

In addition, the amount of recreational sportfishing that occurs in those waters at that time of the year might surprise many, the winter Hatteras bluefin tuna fishery is a VERY big deal... I've stopped in Beaufort in January in years past, where the marina was chock full of big sportfishers and smaller commercial boats who had traveled from as far away as Montauk , spending a month or more down there in search of the big kill... I stopped in Morehead a few days before Christmas last year, and there were plenty of boats headed out the inlet the next morning, on what was shaping up to be a fairly crappy day... But, at least it was a very fast ride across to Wrightsville... :-) I'm not sure how busy it was down there this winter in January/February, but with diesel prices lower than they've been in years, I would guess there were plenty of boats wandering around out there searching for bluefin during that time...

Especially, after the largest bluefin ever caught off North Carolina - one weighing in at 1,005 pounds - was brought back into Morehead City in mid-January...

Quote:
Bluefin tuna fishing around Morehead City is shaping up to be one of the best in years, and last Tuesday, it may have hit its peak. After a grueling battle that lasted 3 ½ hours over nearly 10 miles of ocean, two fishermen trolling near Beaufort inlet hauled in what is unofficially the largest bluefin tuna ever brought to North Carolina scales, weighing 1,005 pounds and measuring 115 inches long.

Enormous bluefin tuna is biggest ever boated off North Carolina -- but no state record - North Carolina Sportsman
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 19:20   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
In reality I will never consider myself a foremost expert on any subject
....unlike most folks here....
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35   #180

Boat: Pearson 34-II

My apologies to Rustic and CSY. I am guilty as accused. Good luck and good sailing. R

Tags
lost, member, rescue