Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 11:31   #1

CF link concerns

I have concerns regarding CF, and related links to CF.
1) on CF (and only on CF) as soon as I link up, my computer fan engages. My computer does this when it’s working hard… downloading music or videos etc. But doesn’t do it on most internet forums etc.
2) This indicates to me that something is working hard, and my suspicion is that some link connected with CF is “scanning my data”.
3) This is further indicated as my computer will not type correctly when on (and only when on) CF. Much of the time I have to go to Word in my computer to type a response to a thread to get it done. Then cut and paste into CF. If I don’t, my keyboard will type about 1 or 2 letters out of 3 leaving the thought un readable. My guess is that whatever is intruding on my computer is doing so to such a large extent that it cant deal with the typing at the same time… That’s alot!
4)I have expressed the typing problem in the past but to no resolution.
5) is anyone else having this or a similar issue?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:38   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: CF link concerns

My Mac performance goes way down when I get on to CF. There is indeed a lot going on in the background when I get on the site. It has gotten better recently. I have already assumed that CF is doing some pretty intense data collection in the background, or setting it up for collection while using the site. It bothered me so much for a while that I considered abandoning the use of CF.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:41   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I haven't experienced that problem with CF. My computer does slow down at times and the Task Manager shows a lot of CPU usuage by my browser (Chrome). I've assumed it is a poorly written Java script or some other program embedded in one of the web pages (not CF) that I have open. I kill Chrome and restart it and the problems goes away for days or weeks.
While waiting for a CF techie to respond you probably should provide your OS and browser versions. Also, have you looked at the Task Manager CPU utilization?

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:42   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

I sometimes have a problem with entering characters from the keyboard or with a jerky mouse when on CF. It's only on one of two computers I use so it's either the fact that the problem computer is old and slow or there's a setup or configuration problem with that computer. Sometimes there's garbled music or voices in the background when I'm on CF.

I'll figure it out someday.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will let the tech people know.

One simple thing you can try is deleting cookies. Cookie problems do frequently cause problems like this.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have concerns regarding CF, and related links to CF.
1) on CF (and only on CF) as soon as I link up, my computer fan engages. My computer does this when it’s working hard… downloading music or videos etc. But doesn’t do it on most internet forums etc.
2) This indicates to me that something is working hard, and my suspicion is that some link connected with CF is “scanning my data”.
3) This is further indicated as my computer will not type correctly when on (and only when on) CF. Much of the time I have to go to Word in my computer to type a response to a thread to get it done. Then cut and paste into CF. If I don’t, my keyboard will type about 1 or 2 letters out of 3 leaving the thought un readable. My guess is that whatever is intruding on my computer is doing so to such a large extent that it cant deal with the typing at the same time… That’s alot!
4)I have expressed the typing problem in the past but to no resolution.
5) is anyone else having this or a similar issue?

So... CF doesn't "scan" your system. My guess is that the various things you are reporting are associated with ads loading and the relatively large size of the page. Your computer may hang if it's resources are being maxed out.

We do set cookies on your system to keep you logged in at page changes but they aren't resource intensive.

I noticed that you are posting in non-standard fonts and I've found that sometimes this causes the reply editor to misbehave.. you might try using the boards standard formatting and see if that helps.

One further thing you could do is open your task manager and see if you have unneeded processes running. Sometimes this can cause hangs.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:30   #7

Yeah... the font is likely due to having to go to Word to construct the reply/post... due to the typing issue at times when I'm here.
I do get "directed ads" here at times... ie: ads related to things I may have searched while not on CF. That may be the issue... all that downloading to screen...

Old 29-04-2015, 16:16   #8

Boat: sabre 28

There's definitely something going on here Cheechako. Don't know if it's the banners, tracking software or what but every time I come here, seems my computer goes into hyper drive & runs home to mama. Only took me 5 minutes to write this...
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 16:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
So... CF doesn't "scan" your system. My guess is that the various things you are reporting are associated with ads loading and the relatively large size of the page. Your computer may hang if it's resources are being maxed out.

We do set cookies on your system to keep you logged in at page changes but they aren't resource intensive.

I noticed that you are posting in non-standard fonts and I've found that sometimes this causes the reply editor to misbehave.. you might try using the boards standard formatting and see if that helps.

One further thing you could do is open your task manager and see if you have unneeded processes running. Sometimes this can cause hangs.
Sooo.. if it doesn't "scan" or read my system... how does it know to put up those adds directed specifically at me for things I've searched elsewhere?
Right now there is an Amazon ad for a luggage cart I searched yesterday to recommend for a friend....

Old 29-04-2015, 16:52   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

This used to happen to my system (Mac, running Safari) Cheechako, but has ceased since installing AdBlock and Ghostery. I think it is likely an external ad, but CF does run a number of background trackers -- I see six running on this page right now. They are mostly associated with advertising data tracking.

I assume CF's owners have agreed to run these invisible trackers as part of their deal to deliver our eyeballs to their advertisers. It's all part of paying the bills, and making a bit of profit for the owners. I don't have a problem with this, but I wish sites like this would advertise that they are running these background trackers.

Luckily it's not hard to block them: Look up Adblock and Ghostery.
Old 29-04-2015, 17:01   #11

I'll look those up. I have ad blocking now (forget which one) and get zero ads on the other 3 forums I'm on daily. Not even off on the side bar. The ad's don't really bother me here, I don't get pop ups. Just off to the side or in a thread post body sometimes. But if they are causing the other issues then that is something else...

Old 01-05-2015, 19:34   #12

I too use Ghostery. Appears to work well, but I seem to have to keep up with their White List. Not sure how they decide which trackers to allow. I just go in and block them all.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:43   #13

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Mike,

Thanks again. I just downloaded the two and what a difference. I am a forum supporter and I thought I paid to not receive adds and pop ups. (I also use Safari)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:53   #14

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

You have heard of viruses?

Perhaps you have an allergy? to CF BS
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:56   #15

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Also try NoScript. It blocks java scripts from running automatically. You can select which ones to allow, either permanently, or temporarily on a page-by-page basis.

It makes web browsing more labor-intensive if, say, you want to watch a video and need to sort through which of the six script sources present should be allowed.

For instance, on this site today, I see things like Oogala, Skimresources, and Quantserve, in addition to Google Tag Manager and Sailblogs.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote