Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: CF link concerns

I frequently see a very similar problem on my laptop. Something fairly often causes my system to run pretty hard, the fan kicks in and the processor is obviously warm.

I don't usually see the typing problem on CF, instead it shows on my company gmail based system where the cursor will lock up and nothing I type shows up. Doesn't even go into the buffer and show after a few seconds, just totally locks and will see nothing for several seconds. CF is usually running in a second window but I had not considered it might be the source of the problem. Was guessing antivirus scanning in the background or maybe even a virus that got around it.

When this happens I sometimes run Windows Task Manager and look at CPU activity. I see several iexplorer processes that are usually bouncing fro 0 to 3-5% but occasionally and briefly jumping to 7-10-15%.

Think I will start closing CF when I hit the lockup and see if it goes away. I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall everything a few months ago and didn't reinstall adblocker Maybe time to do that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sooo.. if it doesn't "scan" or read my system... how does it know to put up those adds directed specifically at me for things I've searched elsewhere?
Right now there is an Amazon ad for a luggage cart I searched yesterday to recommend for a friend....
CF has a lot of ads served by Google. So any time you search on Google (or E-Bay, Amazon or similar) then you will start seeing ads on CF for similar things.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:52   #18

Boat: sabre 28

I must live in a vacuum because I never knew there was an blocker you could download on your PC..... I downloaded Ad Blocker a few moments ago, this pc is running like a new machine on this site. Thanks for the advice!
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:22   #19

HELP! I tried Ghostery as recommended, it's causing me some problems. Trouble is... I cant find it to remove it! Doesn't show up in my list of programs...
How do I remove it?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:31   #20

Firefox for android has resolved problems I was having on this site. Adblock Edge and Mobile Image Blocker extensions block ALL ADS & IMAGES, yet allow me to log in and post comments.

Among others, another nice feature is the ability to save pages in .pdf format.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:44   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
HELP! I tried Ghostery as recommended, it's causing me some problems. Trouble is... I cant find it to remove it! Doesn't show up in my list of programs...
How do I remove it?
Sorry it's causing you grief Cheechako. I've never had any issues with it.

It's an extension, so you just have to uninstall it. In Safari the extensions are found by opening up your Preferences, and clicking on the the Extensions tab. Here you can uninstall any extension. I think other browsers follow the same approach, but the details may be different.

You can whitelist sites within Ghostery, and you can customize what you want it to block. You might try selectively editing it's functions to identify the issue.