Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 12:44   #1

Boat: Looking for
Caribbean boat storage ?

Ahoy,

After many years of catching the forum in random searches, I've finally joined.

We have been chartering in the Caribbean and San Diego since 2008 and are both ASA 101 to 105 certified and are serious about taking the plunge into boat ownership this year. We are excited to attend the boat show">Annapolis boat show in April and are signed up for four days of classes at the Academy, and hope to get more comfortable in starting our boat search, and finding a broker we can trust to help us through the process.

In trying to nail down some ideas as to costs after purchase, understanding that there will always be the unforeseen drama to absorb. I have had a little difficulty on the figures for storage. We are thinking of sailing between October to April, and then storing her in the southern Caribbean on the hard.

Looking at yard rates in Grenada to Antigua, I wonder if I am figuring the cost to high or about right; I feel like I'm reading a poorly designed a la carte menu, wondering if the chives for the potato is included or not?

We want to get a sailboat in the 40 to 44 range, and I'm estimating that the "long-term" overall cost, with haul out, power wash, six stands and tie downs with storage fee to be around 6K for six months.

Am I deciphering the rates right? Is anyone willing to share their experiences and costs to securely and safely take care of their investment efficiently?

Thanks and apologize for being sooooo long!
devins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:37   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Caribbean boat storage ?

Cat or mono?

Costs can vary a LOT between venues. Where are you looking at prices, Grenada?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:56   #3

Sorry, a mono. Looked at several yards in both Grenada and Antigua. Looks like prices vary for different services, but average out at the end. Just not sure what exactly is needed to "do it right" and how much that would cost. Thank you!
Old 25-03-2018, 15:39   #4

While general comparisons might be useful to get an approximate idea of costs, you really need to contact a marina, or marinas, in the area you have in mind to get specific.

I suggest just contacting a marina or yard in Grenada and asking specifics. Ive stopped in Grenada but not stowed a boat there long term. Others here are more familiar with the yards & marinas there. Pick a boat you like and inquire using that boat's details.

If you wont be there, then you really do want some one checking in and maintaining your boat and systems. Sitting unused is hard on a boat.
Old 25-03-2018, 15:42   #5

Also, unless you have someone doing an exceptional job of keeping your boat, dont expect to just pop in and take off sailing. You will need to allocate some time to recommissioning the boat and fixing all the stuff that broke while just sitting unused. 😢
Old 25-03-2018, 16:12   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

Also unless you are uninsured or south (or north) of the Hurricane belt you will most likely have to pay extra insurance. For me insurance was $7000 a year for East Coast and Caribbean if the boat was out of hurricane belt for June to November, but went up to $12000 for keeping the boat in the Caribbean (despite the fact that it was stored in a Pantaenius-approved heavy duty hurricane cradle with a very comprehensive hurricane plan in place).

Might also be a good idea to factor in a person or company to look in on your yacht over the storage season to check trickle on batteries, watertightness, clear the scuppers of leaves, etc.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, devins.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:28   #8

Boat: Catamaran 17 mts one off

Maybe give Trinidad a go as its out of the hurricane belt and many yards to choose from
philip.cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:40   #9

Boat: Outbound 46

We store our 46-foot monohull at Spice Island Marine. This past year, she was on the hard for 8 months, and the charges for haul, store, and launch came to a bit more than US$8k. So 6k for 6 months seems about right. We pay extra for a super-sturdy steel cradle instead of jackstands.

There is growing competition among boatyards on Grenada, maybe that will moderate the prices in the future.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:46   #10

Have a look at St Kitts https://www.skmw.net/fees
quandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:19   #11

Thanks much for the info and replies and thank you for the welcome Gordmay!

I did visit the St. Kitts boat yard last year on a charter from Antigua to St. Martin and was intriqued, but not unconcerned with their setup. Will check them out on line. I did read that all of their stored boats fared well in Irma and the follow-up storm.

Been enjoying the sailing vlogs that seem to be gaining in popularity, and found several with experiences with hall out prep and the work that goes into getting your vessel ready for launch; thanks Belize Sailor!

While we were in Antigua I checked out the Jolly Harbor yard and was impressed with their operation, and should have asked more questions about scheduling and costs. Looks like your experience with storage in Grenada verifies my estimate. Thanks!

I have read several articles about insurance with questions and concerns the buyer should know which I hope will be helpful when covering that need.

Thanks to all and I really look forward to absorbing more of the knowledge from all of you on this forum as we get serious about setting sail on our own boat!

Does anyone have a good process or ideas of how to search for a great buyer broker? I'm sure asking for a specific recommendation would be like asking which pick up truck is the best, Dodge, Chevy of Ford. Thank you all!
Old 26-03-2018, 10:04   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by devins View Post

While we were in Antigua I checked out the Jolly Harbor yard and was impressed with their operation, and should have asked more questions about scheduling and costs. Looks like your experience with storage in Grenada verifies my estimate. Thanks!
You missed North Sound Marina in the north of Antigua. Cheaper than Jolly and a MUCH better hurricane storage yard. The yard is entirely concrete and all boats are strapped to metal inserts embedded in the concrete. Plus its cheaper than Jolly.

As to Grenada and Trinidad.. Don't expect them to get cheaper. Most likely more expensive (they definately raised prices this year). The yards in Grenada are already booked %100 for this coming hurricane season. Last years hurricanes have changed a ton of insurance policies and most will only accept Grenada or Trinidad. This has driven up the number of boats going there and will drive up the prices.

However.. One thing I think you need to factor is about $1000 in "splash" money. Boats get sad when left on land and all kinds of things will need work. Hatch seals dry out, hoses dry out, seacocks become stiff, bottom paint dies (not many bottom paints will survive 6 months on the hard), ect. I think $1000 is probably on the light side if you are including bottom paint
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:43   #13

Gotcha! %100 booked? Damn, I hope they have plans to expand storage area.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:45   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by devins View Post
Gotcha! %100 booked? Damn, I hope they have plans to expand storage area.
I beleive both Grenada and Trinidad are %100 this year.. I doubt there will be any expansions for a few years.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 14:31   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Crap, might as well just stay on the boat

Tags
boat, Caribbean, rib, storage