Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 04:12   #1

Career Tips

Hello,
I`m a student at Maritime University in my last year. After 4 years of studying, on my banchelor degree will write : Marine Engineer and Navigation.
I see myself not being a navigator. What other opportunities could i have with this diploma for my future career?
bonnie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Career Tips

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bonnie.

See ➥ www.just4engineers.com

Joe Hodgson
Uk Mobile: 44 (0)771 363 5381.
Uk landline: 44 (0)20 7193 2204.
Email: joe@wizzwazz.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie93 View Post
Hello,
I`m a student at Maritime University in my last year. After 4 years of studying, on my banchelor degree will write : Marine Engineer and Navigation.
I see myself not being a navigator. What other opportunities could i have with this diploma for my future career?

Engineer, then?

???

-Chris
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35   #4

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

bonnie93, Congratulations on nearing the end of your 4 year degree, but not of your education, which will continue daily if you are wise, particularly the practical, real world aspect of it!

Now to your dilemma! With the widespread use of GPS coupled with the use of computerized autopilots and displays, what is the future of navigators in the marine business? I am a retired airline pilot and navigators were gone in our business many years ago.

On the other hand, despite the computerized controls and monitoring in the engine room, they still need somebody to babysit those things. I would certainly consult with "old hands", but be careful as frequently they are the last to know what is happening tomorrow! Best of Luck! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:53   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
bonnie93, Congratulations on nearing the end of your 4 year degree, but not of your education, which will continue daily if you are wise, particularly the practical, real world aspect of it!

Now to your dilemma! With the widespread use of GPS coupled with the use of computerized autopilots and displays, what is the future of navigators in the marine business? I am a retired airline pilot and navigators were gone in our business many years ago.

On the other hand, despite the computerized controls and monitoring in the engine room, they still need somebody to babysit those things. I would certainly consult with "old hands", but be careful as frequently they are the last to know what is happening tomorrow! Best of Luck! George
This babysitting thing can be in and of itself the problem especially for a young guy.

You'll find yourself, like lots of computer tech's these days, coming to work and then doing absolutely nothing all day.

Some like that because the pay is still good etc but many others would rather be doing something throughout the day.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 17:48   #6

Hello Bonnie,
What country are you currently studying in, I ask because it will make a big difference as the opportunities for marine professionals very greatly with country and region of the world. Marine engineering is still a very rewarding and prosperous field and there are many areas you can work in like oil field work, container ships or even land based jobs in ship yard and repair shops.
Best of luck to you
Greg F
GregF is offline   Reply With Quote