Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 11:15   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Career Change/Advice

So I'm in a position where I can make a career change and am looking to possibly move into the marine/boating industry. I am getting tired of what I do now and my wife makes enough money where I can try to find something that I like to do and take a pay cut if needed. I live in Massachusetts and both Boston and Narragansett bay are under an hours drive for me. My initial thought is looking into becoming a boat broker but am unsure how to go about becoming one or if it is even practical or desirable. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience as one or advice about becoming a broker. Other suggestions are welcome as always. Thanks all.
Old 15-02-2017, 11:39   #2

Re: Career Change/Advice

Most of marine jobs in New England coincide with the boating season. The peak work tends to be in the peak of the season. Many of the people are working weekends and 7 day weeks for 6 months of the year. Then plowing or knitting for 6 months.

A job in the boating industry is a great way to ruin boating. IMHO
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:04   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

It depends on your skill set as to what advice to give.
paulajayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:12   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I thought the BoatUS towboat guys looked they had a fun job.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 14:27   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

You and I are in Identical situations in different locations lol.
Old 15-02-2017, 14:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Career Change/Advice

I worked as Bosun for a yard in the UK for a few years.. winter time was 6days a week September through to April..
Haulouts, repairs, servicing moorings, salvage, and then getting boats ready for the new season antifouling etc.. summertime just worked w/ends when the punters came down to their boats and I sailed/played the other 5 days of the week.. Poole Harbour was a wonderful place to work.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 14:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Same here. I opened 2 restaurants in the last year, and might do a 3rd and consult at another. But something tells me I should "jump ship" now and get into brokerage.
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 15:00   #8

Boat: In Between Boats

I find brokers, just like realtors, to be completely useless. Fossils from a time long passed.

I'd suggest building some skills in boat maintenance, if you're looking for a career change. It's the solo guys that are the best and word of mouth gives them more business than they can handle. Most maintenance is not hard. YouTube.com is a pretty awesome guide.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 15:04   #9

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Yea I don't want to be a broker but have lots of experience in maintenance and repair and thinking of making a go at it. I always side step the brokers as well absolutely less than useless in my experience.
Old 15-02-2017, 16:53   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
It depends on your skill set as to what advice to give.
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess some background might help. I'm a certified aircraft mechanic but haven't worked in the field much (the hours really sucked) . I've been In the automotive field for 8 years on the customer service/management side but it's really a slimey industry and I'm about done with it. The only hard part is the money is really good. I am considering boat maintenance and I know I can do a lot of it but the scary stuff is I had a friend of mine rebuild my outdrive on my speedboat and things like that are definitely beyond my "figuring out in a reasonable time" wheel house. I can get it done but the first bunch would take too long for a customer. Really I just want to do something fun in a field I love. I even wouldn't mind starting as a yard rat and working my way up but that pay is way too low for an hour long drive. I appreciate all the input.
Old 15-02-2017, 18:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Yea I don't want to be a broker but have lots of experience in maintenance and repair and thinking of making a go at it. I always side step the brokers as well absolutely less than useless in my experience.
Saying brokers are less than useless is just about as true and correct as saying maintenance and repair guys are less than useless.

I've experienced excellent and useless in both of those categories.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 21:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Just emailed 2 apprentice / helper ads and a parts coordinator job posting.

In my state there's a "Marine Trades Association" with job listings and classes for certifications. I might go down the apprenticeship path while serving at a high end seafood restaurant in town. From grease monkey to refined server in starched whites [emoji23][emoji23]

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 22:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Imho what makes a good broker is a good service attitude and a truly professional attitude towards the boat buying customer. Not replying to questions, nonchalant dismissing dishonest attitudes never got my business. In today's internet world the word of mouth travels fast, especially the bad kind of word.
When I sold boats I always tried to go the extra mile to make accommodations, sometimes even a bit too much to the point the buyer may have thought I was trying too much "must be something wrong here, nobody can be so helpful".::
How to land a job? If you have time (and money) maybe consider acting as an individual agent. Check out Yachtworld fees, not so cheap.. Challenge is to find your first paying customers and start rolling and to actually make money than lose it. Or try get a job with one of the big broker companies in New England area. Seems like the US economy is picking up so timing might be good now.
Anyways I wanted to add sub and write a few words, hopefully you will be successful in your endeavour, please let us know how it goes..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 20:43   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A good diesel mechanic is always good to find...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 21:00   #15

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

How about becoming a rigger? I think the synthetic trend is going to become more and more popular, so learning that skill could be lucrative.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote