Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 05:32   #601

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There is a difference in surfing for a few meters and pushing the boat above hull speed. Surfing is good fun

SNIP
I know this is a cruisers forum but there are some cruisers like me that have what I will call a solid racing background. To me surfing is a lot more than fun.

In a race if one boat averages surfing for three meters a wave and another boat averages surfing for nine meters it is not hard to figure which one is going to win the race.

But let's remember what started the surfing theme here. RH broached or was knocked down, or dipped his boom. Or as a surfer would say RH wiped out.

My take is not only is there a speed aspect to surfing in a big boat, more importantly there is a safety aspect. Even if you don't care about the speed you need to get up to speed with your surfing skills (gotta love that wordsmithing) for the extra margin of safety it provides.

Old 21-05-2014, 05:34   #602
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
TomFL.. What do I call surfing faster than a wave.. 18kts in a Catalac 9m...??

PUCKER.....
Did you tell them yet about the cracks ?
Old 21-05-2014, 05:37   #603

Boat: Able 50

Every boat, even a bathtub, is capable of surfing down a wave. Even so, you don't want to try it in a bathtub.

They aren't very stable and you spill too much beer.
Old 21-05-2014, 05:40   #604

Quote:
TomFL.. What do I call surfing faster than a wave.. 18kts in a Catalac 9m...??

PUCKER.....
That is one of the most nonsensical comments you have posted yet.

I guess you must be trying to drum up business by insulting people. For sure I wound not recommend you for a delivery job and I would bet there are others here who don't post replies to your silly comments that feel the same way.

There are probably half dozen delivery crew guys in Boot Key Harbor and that is a rather small harbor. When supply exceeds demand the way it does for delivery crew a successful business model requires different skills than you seem to have.

Good luck with your next job, if you can get one.
Old 21-05-2014, 05:51   #605
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

I guess you must be trying to drum up business by insulting people. For sure I wound not recommend you for a delivery job and I would bet there are others here who don't post replies to your silly comments that feel the same way.

There are probably half dozen delivery crew guys in Boot Key Harbor and that is a rather small harbor. When supply exceeds demand the way it does for delivery crew a successful business model requires different skills than you seem to have.

What is it with some of you Cat owners... why is everything regarded as being personal and aimed just at you.. are ego's that bludi fragile..
I can tell you for a fact that when that boat hit 18kts down a wave my ass puckered big time.. ask SimonMD.. the owner who I was assisting.. if you can take an experience of mine that I'm happy to make fun of myself with as an insult...
****.. your one sad little man..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 21-05-2014, 05:57   #606

Quote:
What is it with you Cat owners... why is everything regarded as being personal and aimed just at you.. are ego's that bludi fragile..
I can tell you for a fact that when that boat hit 18kts down a wave my ass puckered big time.. ask SimonMD.. the owner who I was assisting.. if you can take an experience of mine that I'm happy to make fun of myself with as an insult...
****.. your one sad little man..
I have sailed on Fboats going a couple of knots faster than 18 knots in ten foot waves or better and was grinning ear to ear. Maybe you need a little more experience sailing fast before you offer advice on what to do in boats that sail fast.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:03   #607
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have sailed on Fboats going a couple of knots faster than 18 knots in ten foot waves or better and was grinning ear to ear. Maybe you need a little more experience sailing fast before you offer advice on what to do in boats that sail fast.
If it makes me like you.. no thanks
I'll leave the BS to the expert...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 21-05-2014, 06:05   #608
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

I think you got the context wrong Tom. As a USA/UK resident, I see the issue. It was not aimed at you, just a statement of fact and a condition that the speed brings on.. For the record, it makes me pucker as well.

Seems England and USA are divided by a common language.

However, that aside, you did release a pent up feeling/attitude towards our boatie that has been festering for a while....

A sharp outburst no less, casting doubt on his professional abilities because you find his humour not to your taste? That is not the tomfl I have come to like and have deep respect for on this board.

I would ask you to kiss and make up but somehow, that mental image doesnt sit well....

I am sure you guys will however get over this... I live in hope.

I will remonstrate with boatie... "BOATIE........... learn American."
Old 21-05-2014, 06:24   #609
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

A sharp outburst no less, casting doubt on his professional abilities because you find his humour not to your taste? That is not the tomfl I have come to like and have deep respect for on this board.
Seriously, that was waaaay out of line. He's lost credibility from that unnecessary attack. The humor was obvious.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:28   #610

Quote:
I think you got the context wrong Tom. As a USA/UK resident, I see the issue. It was not aimed at you, just a statement of fact and a condition that the speed brings on.. For the record, it makes me pucker as well.

Seems England and USA are divided by a common language.

However, that aside, you did release a pent up feeling/attitude towards our boatie that has been festering for a while....

I would ask you to kiss and make up but somehow, that mental image doesnt sit well....

Point taken.

I first started sailing on my Dad's boats in the 1950s. I raced one designs as a kid and crewed on SORC boats and watched in awe as icons like Windward Passage showed their sterns to the boats I was on. I was always impressed by cats, starting with the South Pacific island boats that crossed long distances well before Europeans were able to make the shorter passage across the Atlantic.

I spent almost ten years racing sailboards and was coached by Major Hall well enough to try out for the Olympics. I loved the speed of sailboards. I was entranced by the speed and ease of sailing of the Fboats. I wish I had enough money to get one of the top of the line French multihulls. I am still in awe of boats like BP/Spindrift that are capable of 900 mile days.

Boats have changed greatly in the over fifty years I have been sailing. To say going 18 knots is a big deal strikes me as very out of date. To say boats don't intentionally surf in the open ocean strikes me as very out of date.

But more to the point I think RH would have been well served to spend some time getting a better feel for how his double ender surfed, first in controlled conditions like ten knot winds and five foot seas. And from his comments boatie might do well to sharpen his surfing skills.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:30   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Seriously, that was waaaay out of line. He's lost credibility from that unnecessary attack. The humor was obvious.
Guess you are right.

I should have realized boatie was joking when he said 18 knots was fast.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:32   #612
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

No hard feelings here Weavis.. maybe the guys had a bad day and I looked like a straw.. so no need to 'Kiss and make up...
Besides.. he's not my type..
Just another day on the net...

Old 21-05-2014, 06:33   #613
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Guess you are right.

I should have realized boatie was joking when he said 18 knots was fast.
OK...... I must insist you curb the humour..... I havent finished a cup of coffee in days reading CF........

(YES MICHELE........ I will clean your monitor.)
Old 21-05-2014, 06:36   #614
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No hard feelings here Weavis.. maybe the guys had a bad day and I looked like a straw.. so no need to 'Kiss and make up...
Besides.. he's not my type..
Just another day on the net...
Thats it..... I DEFINITELY have to go and sort out my desk for power....
Secretaries are SCREAMING at me now for messing on their monitors.....
Going to ASDA right now.... back in 30 mins.

for our American cousins..... ASDA is owned by Walmart in the UK.
Old 21-05-2014, 06:42   #615

Quote:
OK...... I must insist you curb the humour..... I havent finished a cup of coffee in days reading CF........

(YES MICHELE........ I will clean your monitor.)
I probably spend too much time at SA in the multihull forum. My Seawind is a legit double digit speed boat. Which means I get laughed at over there.

My boat is regularly called a Sea Slug over there. Real boats are expected to make 400 mile days or go back to port in shame.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat