Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 14:01   #391
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
(I hide a couple of bottles of Evian water in my cabin in case of emergency.. Like when the Guinness runs out and there is only Bass.... )
What else you hidin' in there and not sharing with your mates? Cadbury eggs?
Old 15-05-2014, 14:15   #392
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What else you hidin' in there and not sharing with your mates? Cadbury eggs?
Shhh!!
Old 15-05-2014, 14:29   #393
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

interesting to see how their web page has grown over the last month.
i guess any publicity is good publicity....if you want to be a kardasian...

18 april 2014

Webuka - Website worth calculator

Visitors daily :
1 781
-----------------------------------------------------------
Website market price
13 355 USD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monthly advertising income :
534 USD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexa Rank of Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart :
Google PageRank of Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart :
Backlinks directing to Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart :

15 may 2014
Webuka Page Rank:
VISITORS DAILY :
daily visitors
1 855
WEBSITE MARKET PRICE :
website market price
13 914 USD
MONTHLY ADVERTISING INCOME :
monthly advertising income
557 USD
ALEXA RANK OF http://THEREBELHEART.COM :
website global rank
GOOGLE PAGERANK OF http://THEREBELHEART.COM :
BACKLINKS DIRECTING TO http://THEREBELHEART.COM :
backlinks
WEBUKA PAGE RANK:
webuka page rank
Old 15-05-2014, 14:39   #394
cruiser

Wow.

Someone pointed me to this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1332666

Where RH posted this on 6/9/2013 (while they were in Mexico):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Probably replacing it, I'm still on the fence. There are big sections of plywood (under the teak, above the beams) that are delaminated and can crumble in your hand. Maybe 10% of the deck, but of course in the hardest to repair areas.

To fix it I really need to pull deck fittings, pull the teak, and then epoxy/screw in new plywood to the beams, then lay up teak or glass-plywood over that.

The idea of putting the teak back down at that point just seems insane.
I stepped through his blog again from that date forward and don't see where any of this was ever repaired prior to their departure. As a matter of fact, a photo at the end of November shows the teak decks still there. This explains a whole lot.

I really don't know what else to say - other than I think everything worked out very well for this family...all things considered. Thank God they're safe.
Old 15-05-2014, 14:42   #395

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
To me if you take the sick child out of the mix and the boat makes it, every take away lesson I got from the trip still applies. But they still have the boat!

I guess my point is there may have been an entirely different lesson plan to learn from and therefore different lessons to learn. Not trying to take away valuable lessons that are being inferred to have been taught.

Steve W - Yep, Hero or zero.
Old 15-05-2014, 14:52   #396
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Call for Help/ This American Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Good Lord.. I couldnt possibly manage on less than 20 litres 2 x a day!!
Dont drink the filthy stuff... beer is good enough......
A lot to be said for watermakers.........

(I hide a couple of bottles of Evian water in my cabin in case of emergency.. Like when the Guinness runs out and there is only Bass.... )

Bass , someone drinks that, I thought it was toilet cleaner

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15-05-2014, 15:07   #397
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

[QUOTE=boatman61;1541998New folk always seem to estimate ETA's on hull speeds of their boats.. however these are speeds under 'PERFECT CONDITIONS'.. most times you'll be happy if you average 100-120nm/day on a long passage... 32ft to 54ft..[/SIZE][/FONT]
Panama to Marquesas took me 37days on a 54ftr... a friend of mine crossing at the same time as me took 54 days in his 36ftr..
Folks.. the boat will only go as fast as the conditions permit so don't make assumptions all will be peachy coz you say so..

Any exceptions to that rule, in your opinion? You know, like, multi hulls?

450 gallons diesel, 540 water here. Tanks just cleaned and tested.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 15-05-2014, 15:11   #398

Boat: Skookum 53'

When cruising under sail, I always feel that anything over 100nm per day was a plus. Made the San Diego ~ Nuka Hiva run in 23 days, 2700 nm by our count.
Old 15-05-2014, 15:49   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I just wanted to thank Smackdaddy and fryewe and the others who have pushed the thoughts on this sinking along in the face of some pretty hostile response from some forum members, and to thank Eric for some good answers to questions.

Some of those wanting to close the thread down think there is nothing to be learned. Why then are some of the most experienced people on the forum - whose who have sailed most and 'know' most - still think there is a need to learn from this incident?
Thanks to you guys doing the analysis for sticking to your guns in spite of some pretty harsh criticism from a few who really have tried to shut down every analysis thread along the way. I've learned a few things, and that has value. I'd rather learn from forums like this than through experience, though I learn plenty that way, too.

It's not about knocking someone else -- it's about looking at an event honestly to see if there is something the next guy can do to be better prepared.
Old 15-05-2014, 15:54   #400

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

[QUOTE=minaret;1542075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61;1541998New folk always seem to estimate ETA's on hull speeds of their boats.. however these are speeds under 'PERFECT CONDITIONS'.. most times you'll be happy if you average 100-120nm/day on a long passage... 32ft to 54ft..[/SIZE
[/FONT]
Panama to Marquesas took me 37days on a 54ftr... a friend of mine crossing at the same time as me took 54 days in his 36ftr..
Folks.. the boat will only go as fast as the conditions permit so don't make assumptions all will be peachy coz you say so..

To be really salty and bluewater here you need to have an old timber vessel, preferrably no more than 36ft, no motor its a sailboat, minimal tankage(definitely not 540gals, hell not even 540L) with a few cans on deck and definitely not a watermaker.

Informative post Boatman.
Old 15-05-2014, 16:00   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Thanks to you guys doing the analysis for sticking to your guns in spite of some pretty harsh criticism from a few who really have tried to shut down every analysis thread along the way. I've learned a few things, and that has value. I'd rather learn from forums like this than through experience, though I learn plenty that way, too.

It's not about knocking someone else -- it's about looking at an event honestly to see if there is something the next guy can do to be better prepared.
Agreed. Let's start a new thread entitled "Revel Stoke" the story of a timbered passage. Then no toes get stepped on. Leave out guns, religion, single versus mono, and manufacturer's references and it ought to be good for 100 posts. But with a little reality show qualities it skyrockets......
Old 15-05-2014, 16:01   #402
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

[QUOTE=minaret;1542075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61;1541998New folk always seem to estimate ETA's on hull speeds of their boats.. however these are speeds under 'PERFECT CONDITIONS'.. most times you'll be happy if you average 100-120nm/day on a long passage... 32ft to 54ft..[/SIZE
[/FONT]

My last trip proved multi's are not immune to things happening to screw things up..
Good call on the 'cleaned and tested'.. lost dog knows how many gallons of diesel and water into the bilge on the OZ trip.. all the tanks were shot..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-05-2014, 16:10   #403

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Not sure what this proves, but in our previous boat, 36 ft LOA, 29 ft LWL we made the passage from Cabo to Hiva Oa twice. First time 21 days, second time 19 days, about 3100 miles logged. Neither trip had any significant motor time. Crew was Ann and I (We were younger then!).

Passage times are highly dependent on two factors: the winds that you actually encounter (not what the pilot charts say they will be) and how hard you drive your boat. The former is out of your control, the latter is not. Slowing the boat, or deviating from the desired course for comfort will increase the time, sometimes to a surprising degree. Eric's slow progress was likely due to both less than ideal wind conditions for his boat, and trying to ease things for crew comfort... easy to see this from his comments.

For folks trying to predict passage times, Evans Starzinger has posted on CF (and I think documented in their website) some guidelines for realistic predictions. IIRC it comes out something like 2/3 times hull speed for an average... check it out.

Jim
Old 15-05-2014, 16:48   #404

Not much has been said about the rescue team that climbed aboard Rebel Heart other than well deserved accolades from Eric and his family and many of us who add to appreciate their efforts. I know they train for these things but, it just seems incredible when you think about it.

1) Parachute drop an inflatable with an outboard from an airplane.
2) Rescue crew also jump from said airplane at an altitude high enough to parachute.
3) Hit the water hopefully close to the inflatable with gear.
4) Lose parachute, swim with rescue gear to inflatable in rough seas.
4) Get on inflatable and hope the outboard starts.
5) Pick up other rescue personal still in the water and then head to Rebel Heart.

Just seems to me that there were so many places things could have gone really bad and these guys could have been left floating 900 miles out in the ocean. Making their feat so much more amazing.
Old 15-05-2014, 17:10   #405

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I remember when we were planning the trip from Cabo to the Marquesas, one which we have done only twice, Jim knew that leaving from further south in Mexico would give one a longish period of lighter airs than we wanted to chance (about a week), and this was in a boat that could sail well in light airs.

Now, I'm wondering whether a Cabo departure point would have given the RH a significantly better wind angle? This question really relates to choice of boat, and all the heavy displacement Taiwan built double enders seem to me to be at a disadvantage in the light wind strength situations. And it would seem that if you're planning on running a water maker, you would need a lot of "extra" fuel, especially if you "need" to motorsail, for comfort or to maintain a previously calculated minimum days' run, which means either added tank capacity or jerry jugs on deck, which we've never done (just the one of water lashed in the cockpit).

Maybe, if one has a heavy displacement boat, you'd want to think a whole lot about what light air sails could move your boat satisfactorily off the wind in the 10-15 knot of wind speed range, if you want to make the Mexico to Marquesas run. [ To SailorBoy1, Mexico to Marquesas is probably the most logical stepping off point for north American west coasters who intend to cross the Pacific or circumnavigate. Its main disadvantage is that you have to go back up to Cabo if you've been enjoying the mainland, upwind and up current.]

Ann

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat