Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 08:03   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: California communities suing for polluters to pay for storm damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Bingo....
People LOVE to throw around the "Evil Corporation" jargon as if Corporations are some space alien, when in fact Corporations make up the vast majority of employee pensions (Public and Private) so your retirement is linked to the same evil corporations....kinda ironic isn't it.
Corporations and other businesses are fine so long as they behave in a socially acceptable way. But don't you sometimes feel like you are being raped by corporations that are acting in socially unacceptable if not downright criminal ways?
Old 22-09-2017, 08:04   #107
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

DeepFrz....
Propaganda like the MMGW pushers?
It's hilarious watching their fake/hoax predictions fall flat when ice is growing, temps are not rising and they are now even having to admit that their models are wrong and over-estimate the evils of CO2.

So who decides what is a "socially acceptable way"...you...ha ha ha.
Sorry amigo, we don't have a Moral Police in the USA we have this thing called the Constitution and the Rule of Law.

I don't feel rapped by anyone...that's a classic Victimhood leftist talking point pushed on collage campuses to create a generation of helpless snowflakes. People selling me things have no power over me, well unless they team with a corrupt Government like in the case of Obamacare to FORCE me to buy their product...now that's Fascism of course.

I'm not leaving California because it is a peoples worker paradise folks....
Old 22-09-2017, 08:36   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rich, your post sounds like hate speech to me. Enjoy Mexico.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:38   #109

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
SNIP

In the end only the lawyers will prosper.
Thread winner.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:45   #110
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Rich, your post sounds like hate speech to me. Enjoy Mexico.
Which is exactly why the entire thinking/premise/concept of Hate Speech is Anti-First Amendment and is scary. Who gets to define hate speech? The Government? 50.1% by majority vote? Two wolfs and a lamb voting on what's for dinner?

Now I know you were joking and saying it in good humor, but in some Countries they are prosecuting people on Hate Speech Crimes for saying things the Government finds offensive. We are not talking about 3rd world dictatorships here...but so called Western Democracies.

Disagree with the "correct and approved" political agenda these days and face Cizcotts (Boycotts is a heteropatriarchal term of hate speech) of your business and protesters will show up at your door. Of coruse they will have to come down to Mexico to protest me....they can find me at a local Taco Cart.....

Cheers Amigo
Old 22-09-2017, 08:51   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK Californians lead the way on concerns on Global warming.
Someone look up how much fuel they burn and how much power they use and compare that to a national average and Global average.
I don't know, but I have a belief that they may be among the biggest offenders?

Then go look at how the biggest defenders of Global warming live, their energy consumption.
Sure seems to me that they seem hypocritical?
Old 22-09-2017, 08:52   #112

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
We should sue firearm and munitions manufacturers for the death their products cause. May as well throw in automotive manufacturers while we're at it. Once they're out of the way we can strike at the real problem; Look out McDonald's, we're coming to get you.
Next, we ought to start a class action suit against the Cruiser's Forum.
It's forcing the old, out of shape has been sailors are dying of heart attacks while sitting on their butts in front of their computers instead of going sailing.

Ayn Rand
Old 22-09-2017, 08:54   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Seems California does real well on electrical consumption, not so much on gasoline though?
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...c02-story.html
Old 22-09-2017, 09:02   #114
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seems California does real well on electrical consumption, not so much on gasoline though?
In California, gasoline consumption is on the rise. - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Yes because due to California's climate in the big population centers there is no need for Air Conditioning! No one I know has Air Conditioning on the central Coast.....
Old 22-09-2017, 09:07   #115

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
The total destruction that they have caused around the world, not even taking into account the climate warming, is horrendous. And it has been done with callous disregard for peoples health and welfare and for the welfare of the environment. It has also been done with the assistance of corrupt political officials around the world as well.
Plenty of evidence to support this, but you're ignoring the benefits, namely millions of people in the developing world lifted out of poverty in the past few decades, in large part due to the availability of cheap energy. You may bemoan such 1st world problems as beach erosion & losses of boats, but who speaks for the millions who otherwise would be doomed to a life of poverty or worse? Seems rather narrow-minded if not selfish to only look at one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Maybe the only way to find out and expose exactly what lies have been promulgated is to see 'em in court.
So a single lawyer wearing a black robe who is predisposed to the politics of the issue can decide?? I don't think this will accomplish much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
To argue that certain companies did not knowingly conspire to further their own financial interests and those of their investors and shareholders at the expense of the communities at large is very naive IMO.
Cos. are legally bound with fiduciary duties to further their own financial interests, incl. the interests of all those shareholders whose IRAs & 401Ks include energy stocks. Have you checked your portfolio lately? Using the word "conspire" is more misleading & inflammatory than "blah, blah, blah" since it implies criminality & nefarious intent.

Quote:
I could say something.....but then again....you already know what I'm going to tell you...
You know you can't help yourself. It's like those ice cream bars in one of those efficient freezers of yours.

Quote:
Bingo....
People LOVE to throw around the "Evil Corporation" jargon as if Corporations are some space alien, when in fact Corporations make up the vast majority of employee pensions (Public and Private) so your retirement is linked to the same evil corporations....kinda ironic isn't it.
People need an "enemy." Until they need whatever goods or services that enemy is providing for them. I don't doubt the sincerity or good intentions, only the all-knowing moral high ground they naively claim without considering the complexity of the issue.
Old 22-09-2017, 09:15   #116

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
In California, gasoline consumption is on the rise. - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Sounds like it's time to raise taxes on gasoline! And sell it to the voters that it will induce lowered demand & thus save the environment. Oh wait, the state just did that!
Old 22-09-2017, 09:20   #117
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok I'm going to drop out of this thread now before I get banned again....or worse yet, like what happened last time on one of these MMGW Threads, someone sent a note to my business partner asking if he knew how crazy I was in an attempt to get me in some type of "trouble" (A) no I'm not joking and (B) my business partner of course already knows, which could be why he supports me moving back to Mexico!

Unfortunately, the World doesn't like a Truth Teller these days, they would rather live in Darkness dancing around the fire and making burnt offerings to the MMGWC. There is nothing new under the sun.
Old 22-09-2017, 09:21   #118

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Well, don't paint us all with the same broad brush, but that was my point. I am sure we burn more gas. We have a lot of people and we have sprawling developments and mini malls all designed at a time when oil was cheap and open space was available. Now the jobs are in one place and affordable or desirable houses are somewhere else. Like I said, at one time LA, at least, before the war, had a great street car system and centralized towns. It's almost impossible to get back to that kind of efficiency and low impact now, but some of us are trying to make improvements where we can, even while we still drive to work. We are not all trying to proclaim our superiority or that we are somehow holier than thou because of our opinions. We have seen beautiful things ruined and lost forever in this state, and we have seen improvements too, so we know it's possible. We used to have days when the smog was so bad, your lungs hurt and kids were not allowed to go out and play, for example. Now, I haven't seen a smog day since... well I can't remember now. Economic health and public health are not mutually exclusive.
Old 22-09-2017, 09:42   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Exile, I'm not ignoring anything. You mention beach erosion and loss of a few boats. Are you ignoring the loss of lives and homes and jobs that we have witnessed in just the past few weeks? The utter destruction of countries, of people who will be living without power, clean water and without the ability to rebuild? By mentioning beach erosion and loss of a few boats you belittle the poor people who are suffering huge losses and disruptions to their lives. The millions of people around the world who have been and continue to be displaced from their home and home lands. The many thousands of people (if not millions) that have been affected by super storms in other parts of the world.

I have seen first hand, in my 75 years, the environmental destruction caused by the fossil fuel industry by reckless and greedy corporate overreach. Have you? I have read reports of government health officers being sued and harassed for speaking up about the health costs of fossil fuel extraction. I see the destruction caused by fracking and other misuses of corporate power and greed. I laugh at Rich's statement that the US is governed by the rule of law.

I find it quite amazing that so many Americans, in particular, scoff at AGW when their own military ranks it as the highest security risk in the world. Second, maybe, only to the enemy within.

One needs to have a global perspective to really appreciate what is happening. Sticking one's head ... in the sand and ignoring the suffering in the world is just plain ignorance, IMHO. (maybe not so humble)
Old 22-09-2017, 09:46   #120
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you ignoring the loss of lives and homes and jobs that we have witnessed in just the past few weeks? The utter destruction of countries, of people who will be living without power, clean water and without the ability to rebuild?
Now wait a second...you are not attempting to Blame Irma and Marina on Man Made Global Warming (MMGW) are you? The Frequency and size of Hurricanes has NOT increased as the MMGW panic pushers have predicted. In fact, the frequency of storms has DECREASED.

If so....this is exactly the type of Science Denying that we as a society have got to end, because it's Dangerous.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, california, poll