Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 08:53   #16

Re: Bumfuzzles give up on sailing, at least for now

Very interesting and exciting couple for sure, really enjoyed their non-parochial style of going around the world as well as other adventures. Not sure I was fully “on-board” with living in Mexico raising a family, it appeared they were living more of a vagabond life, then adventuresome. Also I did have some concern that their children growing up in a 3rd world nation wouldn’t have the same spirit of adventure (product of the environment) as the parents given their stately upbringing, then again I could be all wrong. Truly wish them all the best, health and happiness.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:08   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Also I did have some concern that their children growing up in a 3rd world nation
Cruising with kids is a TOTALLY different experience than two adults out cruising without kids. We did the "with kids" thing and next time (3.75yrs away) we will do it without kids. I can agree with Rebel's comment...we love our kids...but will love it when they can come and visit!!!

As for Mexico being the 3rd world...won't touch it but have you been to Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Cruising with kids is a TOTALLY different experience than two adults out cruising without kids. We did the "with kids" thing and next time (3.75yrs away) we will do it without kids.

As for Mexico being the 3rd world...won't touch it but have you been to Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles?
Actually yes I have, and I would not have raised my kids there either. I'm not looking for a debate, open forum, open comments that's all, that's my personal opinion.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:25   #19

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Paging Doctor Scoobert.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:34   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
There is this myth/lie out there that cruisers are sailors or even want to be!
For the vast majority of cruisers I meet it has nothing to do with the boat but rather with the destination.
That's the truth! I didn't get into sailing to be a sailor, I got into sailing to travel (cruise). My hope was that we didn't hate sailing/boating, but it looks to be working out as we like sailing overall.
Old 18-12-2013, 09:53   #21

A few months back, I spent a week reading every entry from their first sail around the world. I am surprised at their new disdain for the S. Pacific, as they seemed to really like it in their initial blogging.
OneEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:16   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Like probably many of our members. I've been following the sailing stories of Pat and Ali.

It's sad to see that it looks like the boat is for sale, and a motorhome is their mode of adventure from here in. I was looking forward to seeing their stories on the second RTW, but looks like that won't happen now.

Full post here.

Bumfuzzle » Roll On
I have followed them on and off over the years. I like their approach to life...When it's a hassle, change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
How sad for the armchair sailors, whoever shall they cast stones at now from the comfort of their keyboards?

Oh, never mind they shall always find someone...
I think Rebel Heart should be next in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm going to give Pat so much **** the next time I see him. I mean what's a guy from the mid west doing on a boat anyway?
I hear the real reason he's going to leave Mexico had something to do with a knife and a local. Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
They have a life beyond sailing. Good for them.
It's the same for a lot of people. I have a few other expensive hobbies in my life that require attention. It's nice to have options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
A few months back, I spent a week reading every entry from their first sail around the world. I am surprised at their new disdain for the S. Pacific, as they seemed to really like it in their initial blogging.
I have a couple of friends who recently crossed there path to complete their circumnavigation. After 5 years, they told me that Mexico is their favorite place. South Pacific...so, so.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
I haven't read very much, mostly because they seem to be very the grass-is-always-greenfuzzler type people and whatever they are doing is the best and everything else is crap.

I can see liking other parts of the world more than others, but their last post painting the Caribbean and S. Pacific as terrible destinations is pretty ignorant.
SailBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:33   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBender View Post
their last post painting the Caribbean and S. Pacific as terrible destinations is pretty ignorant.
The Defintion of Ignorant:
lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

You may not agree with their opinon, but you really can't call their comments "ignorant" since they have been there after all.

You also have to remember, and I get this all the time, when you have a different opinion than someone else on what Cruising is or should be, you are attacking etheir their dreams or memories. So right away you get the kneejerk push back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have a couple of friends who recently crossed there path to complete their circumnavigation. After 5 years, they told me that Mexico is their favorite place. South Pacific...so, so.
I've had the same reports from my cruising friends.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:35   #25

Quote:
Cruising with kids is a TOTALLY different experience than two adults out cruising without kids. We did the "with kids" thing and next time (3.75yrs away) we will do it without kids. I can agree with Rebel's comment...we love our kids...but will love it when they can come and visit!!!

Mexico is officially an upper-tier 2 developing country. Anyone who thinks it is a third-world country hasn't been to one, and Mexico.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:44   #26

Quote:
I haven't read very much, mostly because they seem to be very the grass-is-always-greenfuzzler type people and whatever they are doing is the best and everything else is crap.
Huh. Not my experience of them at all.

I expected a change was coming for them but was thinking more along the lines of sailing S. America, they seem to have itchy feet like all other travellers. The RV move was a suprise but am looking forward to following the new adventure.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 10:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
How sad for the armchair sailors, whoever shall they cast stones at now from the comfort of their keyboards?

Oh, never mind they shall always find someone...

Best of luck to the Bumfuzzles in their future adventures!
Those of us who criticised their gung-ho approach to safety (not doing any kind of shakedown cruises on the cat, not testing key systems, and so on) were called armchair sailors, I remember that well.

I guess Robin Knox-Johnston is an armchair sailor then, entering the 1968 Golden Globe in a tried and tested boat, well prepared. Donald Crowhurst was an adventurer. Hmmmm.
Old 18-12-2013, 10:56   #28

Quote:

I can see liking other parts of the world more than others, but their last post painting the Caribbean and S. Pacific as terrible destinations is pretty ignorant.
I think instead of saying "I haven't read much", perhaps, not read enough. They are generally positive with a can do attitude. I would like to know where the term "terrible" came from their blog.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-12-2013, 10:59   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Those of us who criticised their gung-ho approach to safety (not doing any kind of shakedown cruises on the cat, not testing key systems, and so on) were called armchair sailors, I remember that well.

I guess Robin Knox-Johnston is an armchair sailor then, entering the 1968 Golden Globe in a tried and tested boat, well prepared. Donald Crowhurst was an adventurer. Hmmmm.
Yes...it's amazing the Bumfizzle's survived the ordeal.
Old 18-12-2013, 11:03   #30

They took unnecessary risks.