Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 17:40   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Brunswick Landing Marina Huuuge Rate Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror16 View Post
A justification of charging dockage by boat lenght is that the bigger the boat, the heavier it is (plus greater windage and current loading)and consequently the greater loading, wear and tear on the dock. This generally increases as a cube of the length, so you're fortunate not to be charged 8 times more than someone half your length.
I think that's a stretch. A big stretch. Charging by the foot is just easier.
Old 14-12-2016, 18:33   #17

I was, of course, not serious about an 8x factor for cost ; just countering the claims made here that there shouldn't be a bigger charge for a longer boat on the same dock.
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 18:38   #18

Boat: Hylas 54

Hey Brunswick Landing Marina is not cheap by local standards but it is well built (no signifiant Hurricane Matthew effects) and this Spring had all you could drink free beer in the clubhouse, every day! Just saying'.

You get what you pay for.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 18:41   #19

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

brunswick landing is a great marina. many slipholder perks. well worth the money compared to others and a very good hurricane hole
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:02   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

I stayed there a few days last month. The price seemed good and better than others I stayed at along the way south. And the free beer and nice clubhouse was a plus.

If only you could control the wind direction to keep the paper plant odor away!
Old 21-11-2017, 15:38   #21

I would spend time here again, good beer fueled community...but the mosquitoes and spray planes, talk about battening down the hatches? I guess there are bugs wheres theres nice weather, whatever. Place kicks ass actually.
Sherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 01:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I never quite understood the pay by the foot concept. If a slip will fit a 40 foot boat and you have a 40 foot boat things are great, but the same slip containing a 35 foot boat still has has the same finger piers, takes the same dock space, etc. Why does the 35 foot boat pay less money than the 40 foot boat? In NC where I kept my boat several marinas charged based on the slip size. Depending on the marina there were 30, 40, 50, and 60 ft slips available and each had a flat rate. In one case all the slips would accommodate the same length boats, but some were cat slips. They charged the same rate for all of the monohull slips and a different rate for the cat slips which occupied 2 monohull spaces but had only 1 power pedestal so it wasn't quite twice the monohull space rent. This always seemed to make more sense to me than a by the foot rate.
In the end as long as the market is consistent, it works itself out but...

If you only have a few 60' slips available and they are sitting empty, do you want to scare off a customer with a 30' boat because you are going to charge him as if it's a 60' boat?

Or maybe you have 30 & 40 foot slips and a local competitor has 35 foot slips for the same per foot price. Do you want to scare off 31-35' boats because they effectively pay more?

Or you can charge a 33' boat 10% more even though you squeeze them into a 30' slip.

A marina trying to buck the larger market will find itself typically in a tough position explaining itself to customers.

As to the original post, a 4% increase isn't huge by any stretch of the imagination and 5c per kwh was likely selling you electric at a loss, so increasing it seems very reasonable.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:55   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherb View Post
but the mosquitoes and spray planes, talk about battening down the hatches?
i was there a few years ago at the end of the summer and had to sprint from the boat to the bathrooms to avoid the very aggressive mosquitos. this started each night at around 5:30 or 6. also these bugs now carry the west nile and zika viruses. i also saw the biggest and baddest dock roaches i have ever seen in my life .. and i am from Florida. but i guess if you drink enough free beer you won't notice
Old 14-03-2018, 16:16   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

you need to walk in the parking lot/street. Not along the grass!!!