Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2015, 13:04   #16

Re: Broad Questions About Buying Liveaboard Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Not trying to be too negative here. Just practical. Sounds like you are total novices, not only to sailing, but to boat ownership. You have the idea of an exotic type of cheap lodging in an exotic place. You don't sound like you want to sail at all, but may be move from place to place for excitement and variety. Assuming this is correct, boy oh boy do you have some expensive surprises ahead!

Boats routinely break (even new ones) just sitting in the water. In fact the more they sit, the more they break. And many, if not most times, you find out after you start your trip to somewhere else. And since you are novices you won't have a clue to how to fix it, assuming you can even identify what really happened. If a through hull hose starts leaking you could lose the boat and could even potentially lose your lives. If a car breaks down, you push it the side of the road and get help. But you don't drown.

You don't know how expensive boat maintenance is either, and without experience, you don't know how to even approach it. Getting pros to do it is costly and hit or miss. You will still need to do some stuff yourself at times.

Sorry if this sounds too harsh. But it's the truth of the matter. You might get lucky and do OK for a while but sooner or later you will face the ugly reality of what boat ownership is all about. I would recommend that you get a boat here and get some experience and then decide if you think it would work out for you over there. Unless you have too much money and can hire anything and everything and don't mind getting tows occasionally and may be get a little wet. You'll have some good stories to tell.

most responses i get are harsh.. just makes me want it more

we are total newbs to owning boats..
we did buy a 17' ski boat together out of highschool...
but the Skipper has 5 years experience running charters and being crew/capt on 60-90' steel sailboats
and yes i know we will be spending more than ppl who know a lot..
but we study everyday.. and so many books on the subject of "maintenance"

we are willing to risk our lives, backs and bank accounts to make this happen.. and we acknowledge not "paying our dues" might result in trouble.
but you only live once!

Old 16-10-2015, 13:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
There are boat bargains to be had in SE Asia. A lot of people have come across the Pacific on a circumnavigation and have gone to Thailand and Malaysia to wait for the pirate situation in the northwestern Indian Ocean to improve since they were not wild about going the South Africa route. A number of these boats are available for sale but you really need to know what you want in a boat. Can't imagine it will be a cat with your budget.
ya? good to know..

what kind of things should we be looking for in a boat? if,, our main criteria being --an awesome deal--

size
displacement
hull material (think we want glass, skipper knows steel)
head clearance-- i'm 6'5"
performance is important to use for safety.. but we won't be in a rush or racing..
small crew needed to sail
enough room for guests to move around

i would imagine if we got 100k we could find a Cat..
i really want a Cat

Old 16-10-2015, 13:19   #18

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 13:54   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post
thank you!

at this point we are discussing other ideas for income besides doing Charters.
Charters were the original idea.. and still very much on the table..

Doing charters would most likely effect what type of vessel we would want..

For Cats: get a Lagoon/Leopard for charters Fountaine Pajot for private owners.

i just read the book "Buy, Outfit, Sail"
cruising on a major budget.. and he tells you to do away with things you don't need/can't fix..

If you have a Cat you can spend more time at anchor

i'm assuming if we search long and hard we will be able to find a deal for about half price of yachts listed on popular websites..

where can we find a great selection of aging tropical boats on the cheap.. hmmmm
I appears research on income may be more important than boat type?
Old 16-10-2015, 15:34   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Ok extended living on the hook and frequent moves will greatly influence your choice of boat and the necessary equipment- power generation, water making, etc.

I cannot see how you can live aboard and charter the same boat. Would you leave half the space for customers? It sounds like you are years away from the necessary knowledge and experience to make a living from chartering. A charter vessel needs to be maintained in top condition. That requires more that a little knowledge and a lot of time or a lot of money. Of course if not a bare boat charter you need to provide a qualified crew. I encourage you to chase your dream but keep your eyes open, talk to a lot of people, and listen hard. This is no time to make assumptions or make quick decisions.
Old 16-10-2015, 17:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I would buy where you want to sail.

When we lived in NZ it was definitely not the cheapest place to buy a cruising boat. And the choice was very narrow too. I doubt things changed if I were to judge from numbers of Kiwis and Aussies buying s/h boats in the Med over last two years or so.

If I were to buy elsewhere I would buy US West Coast and sail to Asia. After all it is not all that difficult to sail a boat from California to the Indonesia, is it. (I mean you can find people who will likely do this for a nominal plus return tickets).

Cheers,
b.
Old 16-10-2015, 17:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Ok extended living on the hook and frequent moves will greatly influence your choice of boat and the necessary equipment- power generation, water making, etc.

I cannot see how you can live aboard and charter the same boat. Would you leave half the space for customers? It sounds like you are years away from the necessary knowledge and experience to make a living from chartering. A charter vessel needs to be maintained in top condition. That requires more that a little knowledge and a lot of time or a lot of money. Of course if not a bare boat charter you need to provide a qualified crew. I encourage you to chase your dream but keep your eyes open, talk to a lot of people, and listen hard. This is no time to make assumptions or make quick decisions.
the skipper was living on the same boat he was doing day trips on..
nothing fancy,, depends who you want to be around..
Old 16-10-2015, 17:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would buy where you want to sail.

When we lived in NZ it was definitely not the cheapest place to buy a cruising boat. And the choice was very narrow too. I doubt things changed if I were to judge from numbers of Kiwis and Aussies buying s/h boats in the Med over last two years or so.

If I were to buy elsewhere I would buy US West Coast and sail to Asia. After all it is not all that difficult to sail a boat from California to the Indonesia, is it. (I mean you can find people who will likely do this for a nominal plus return tickets).

Cheers,
b.
interesting...
i would think east coast would have a lot more options?
i'm not against long passages.. but it seems like it would dictate the requirements of the vessel..
need to learn more about the differences between "coastal cruiser"
and "blue water vessel" and which would work..
the smaller the boat the better chance we can afford it..
Old 16-10-2015, 19:21   #24

Hi I'm no expert by any means but I work in Malaysia and have been keeping my eye on the second hand boat market around Asia for the last year. I'm actually going over to Penang to look at something in a couple of weeks.

Before I started looking I was told oh yes this side of the Pacific is great people sail here get fed up and can't be bothered sailing home you'll pick up something cheap no problem.

Well cheap I wouldn't say so particularly cheap and when the are they are they seem to be a floating shed with a clapped out engine. I'm looking around your budget as well. Take plenty time look at as much as you can and keep a realistic open mind if you are interested go back a few times even push your luck and get them to take you out for a day (full survey goes without saying). My plan now is to charter a little more and try to crew a bit on a few different boats. Good luck I hope you find something personally after looking for quiet so time I think the best deals are in Croatia.
Old 17-10-2015, 00:08   #25

AW, good on you. I like your determination. There is a wealth of experience and information on this forum. Some of the responses seem harsh to you but I think they are just worried that you are getting in over your head. Maybe you are. But I think that with tolerance and determination great experiences will be learned and memories treasured when you are older.

There are boats to be had out there in your price range. Have you ever heard of James Wharram? He is a designer of Polynesian style catamarans. They are very simple deep sea sailing cats. Most are open deck or have primitive out of weather pods. They are simple to maintain and usually outboard engine based. Check out yachtworld.com and multihull world. Put Wharram in the search engine. They are all over the world. I think for a young couple a boat like this would be an adventure of a lifetime.

Your partner already knows how to sail and navigate. With GPS...even a simple one and some good charts you will be fine. Remember that the ocean can kill you if you get caught in a big storm. So remember that there are sailing seasons and "do not even think about sailing seasons" in many oceans of the world. We just lost a 200 foot freighter and over 30 crew, in the hurricane that blew through the Bahamas and it was most likely captain error.

As far as chartering, that is going to take a lot of research. Usually boats that are chartered are very expensive and "the latest"...that does not equate to a 60k boat. You will need to be very careful with legal issues. Most chartering involves licensure, insurance, connections, advertisement...on and on. Do not even think about hiring your boat out to some young people for some coinage without permits to do so. If you are caught by their equivalent of Coast Guard you could be in some serious legal problems. I think that bribes are a very common way of doing business in many countries. But you better learn the ropes officially and not by some quasi-legal opinion from some guy in the harbor that made 100 bucks getting 6 college kids from point A to point B 20 miles away. Remember that if you get caught it is not just a fine over there. (just my guess). But we had a story several weeks ago where a Canadian was carrying some Cubans on his nice yacht and the Columbian Coast Guard has him in jail now....

But here is the most important piece of advice I can share with you....I am assuming you are American or Canadian by your written English. You are young. I do not know if you have travelled much overseas. Be very careful about contraband or doing things that are against cultural acceptance in whatever country you are in. I am not insinuating that you would ....I would just want you to know that youtube and movies abound with stories of people who run afoul of the laws in other countries. Their judicial systems are much more severe than American/Canadian. There is very little legal recourse. Even embassies hands are tied in many situations. Be squeaky clean and be suspicious of any native types trying to be overly friendly. Asian people are wonderful but they are much tougher to read than Western people. Learn what "face" means and abide it at all times. It is taken seriously overseas. Be polite and friendly and you will be treated the same. Become arrogant, mean, or rude and find out that you are in a different world.

You kids have a good time and post pics and stories for us to share.
Old 17-10-2015, 09:11   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Keep us posted on how it all works out for you. I am sure we will all learn some things. And perhaps temper our harshness. Or not.
Old 17-10-2015, 12:50   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
interesting...
i would think east coast would have a lot more options? (...)
I bet you will be right.

I would still buy West Coast to avoid the unnecessary time effort and money required to take an East Coast boat via the Panama and then across pretty windless waters of Central East Pacific. I believe it is a way faster and easier trick to sail to Asia from (? give and take)) California.

Even better choice is to buy in Asia (for one to cruise Asia), I think, though.

Also, boats in the French Polynesia seem not at all too expensive. That's sorta half way there.

b.
Old 17-10-2015, 12:59   #28

Quote:
need to learn more about the differences between "coastal cruiser"
and "blue water vessel" and which would work..
Here's an interesting "take" by one sailor:

How We Got To Hunter | SmackTalk!

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, cruise, cruiser, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: