Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: BP Will Be Feeling Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
DOJ, if you look at the electrical supply needs of a future EV, you would be ripping up every supply to every house to install 3 phase. Plug-ins are a dead end technology.

Ultimately it will have to be automatically replaceable recharged battery packs, so in your EV youll be visiting plenty of "filling stations" and being releived of as many bucks as you are today ( The gov will have its tax one way or the other).

Remember the UK Nuclear power slogan "too cheap to meter", Yeap. right.....

Dave
Whilst I agree that of course the tax take will need to be replaced and that replaceable battery packs (and the "filling stations" to go with them) will be needed - what will also happen (and is perhaps the hardest thing for folks to get head around?!) is that their will be no single answer for every conceivable use of an EV.

Going on a long trip only now and again? Well, you do want a battery pack filling station. Going long distance regularly?, buy a Hybrid - or even a gas guzzler! Going to the shops once a week? Plug in at home - and at Tesco! Commuting to work? Plug in both at home and when parking the car all day - whether with a bit of wire or cordless . Hell, no reason why a car can't be cordlessly recharged whilst sitting in traffic.......none of those will instantly get you a full tank of electric, but that is not always needed, a bit now and again is simply a range gainer.......but with enough electric battery pack filling Stations around the fear of getting caught out of electric will be assuaged.

I also want Hover boots (wayyy overdue ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:15   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I dont agree, Hybrids are a transition technology, once you overcome "range anxiety" through a combination of better battery technology and the appearance of electrical 'filling Stations" , you see the disappearance of hybrids, Why , because electric motors beat the doors of IC engines every time. Electric sports cars could have 0-60 in 4secs no probs.
Once the "tipping" point is reached, Internal combustion will die rapidly , just like the steam engine.

On street charging, contactless charging, None of this works when you see the energy needed to be transferred in a real life proper future EV. Take a future 1 ton electric SUV EV with a range of 300 miles and a top speed of say 100 m/h and back calculate the energy stored and hence the recharging energy, That aint going to come from a domestic 13amp socket or anything near it. The only practical way to recharge that type of energy store is dedicated high tech recharging stations. Its make no sense to carry around high current chargers in an EV. Nor does it make any sense to buy the battery, you merely want to use the "petrol can" and pay for the energy

dave
Old 09-01-2013, 05:31   #33

Different animal than the BP fiasco.

Rig was being towed, the tow company lost the rig, and the only danger was the fuel that was aboard the rig.

Very much less possible impact, had it gone much worse than it did.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:31   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Ahem.... This thread is as far off course as the drill rig in the OP. Further progress toward the rocks will only hasten the grounding of this thread!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Ahem.... This thread is as far off course as the drill rig in the OP. Further progress toward the rocks will only hasten the grounding of this thread!

This thread has or had a course???

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont agree, Hybrids are a transition technology, once you overcome "range anxiety" through a combination of better battery technology and the appearance of electrical 'filling Stations" , you see the disappearance of hybrids, Why , because electric motors beat the doors of IC engines every time. Electric sports cars could have 0-60 in 4secs no probs.
Once the "tipping" point is reached, Internal combustion will die rapidly , just like the steam engine.
I think IC will be around in one form or another pretty much forever - and I see no harm in that. It's just that the mainstream will move to Electric.

You may well be right in that Hybrids are a transitional technology - but IMO a very neccessary one. I think one of the things holding back EV is folks waiting until the perfect universal one size fits all solution to replace IC - whereas there simply won't ever be one of those! and no reason why there should be as usage of vehicle and need for range and recharge speed and frequency differ between people. and even for the people themselves at different times (why do I have to only have a recharging solution that involves having to change my battery after 100 (or 300) miles (when the battery is flat ) when I can simply recharge for my actual need of 50 miles a week in an urban environment (simply from where I park), but when I need a 1000 mile range for a single trip I go down the battery swap route at that time.....the fact that solution does not work for everyone doesn't matter to me.

I can't remember the source of the info , but I recall reading that when asked what sort or range they needed in their cars folks tended to heaviliy overestimate what they actually did - double rings a bell......which basically says to me that once folks start to see EV vehicles are not getting stranded en masse that they will start to accept that range not such an issue - indeed could be argued that the usable range of an EV can be radically improved, quickly and cheaply as half(?) the need is simply in peoples imagination! it not a technology issue.

Quote:
On street charging, contactless charging, None of this works when you see the energy needed to be transferred in a real life proper future EV. Take a future 1 ton electric SUV EV with a range of 300 miles and a top speed of say 100 m/h and back calculate the energy stored and hence the recharging energy, That aint going to come from a domestic 13amp socket or anything near it. The only practical way to recharge that type of energy store is dedicated high tech recharging stations. Its make no sense to carry around high current chargers in an EV. Nor does it make any sense to buy the battery, you merely want to use the "petrol can" and pay for the energy

dave
I will defer to you on the technical side (me: drop toaster in bath = bad.....for some reason ), but nonetheless my point being that something like contactless charging for short periods does not have to be the only solution and not even intended as any solution! If over a 300 mile Journey you pick up enough extra electric for only another 20 miles that is still 20 miles that does not need to be in the battery at the getgo. That could be next to meaningless on a single trip, or could be an entire extra short trip (or 2?) - enough to get you home (or wherever) for a "proper" refill (however that acheived) at a time of your conveniance, or simply be part of your reserve (needed or simply feel good).

And to keep the thread on Topic - "big oil" will no doubt suppress the technology. and be smug about it .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote