Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 19:13   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22
Bought my first sail boat, now what?

Bought a Tanzer 22 over the memorial day weekend. I've only sailed a few times and never done any rigging. Basically showed up and got on board and went racing.

I figured the best way to learn is on my own boat. I don't want to put a lot money fixing it up. I just want to learn how to sail and then buy a better boat.

So if anyone is in the Central Arkansas area and has some spare time that wants to help a couple of young guys who have never sailed. Shoot me a message. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	148952Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	148953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4153.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	148954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	148955
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 19:27   #2

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25
Re: Bought my first sail boat, now what?

First of all, your going to have a riot. Did the same thing a couple a years ago and I am still learning. If I can make a suggestion, actually two. Get on CF as much as you can and read. Also get a copy of Don Casey's book "This old boat" you will have a pretty good starting point, (and it might save you money.) Good Luck

Joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 19:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel E Felt View Post
First of all, your going to have a riot. Did the same thing a couple a years ago and I am still learning. If I can make a suggestion, actually two. Get on CF as much as you can and read. Also get a copy of Don Casey's book "This old boat" you will have a pretty good starting point, (and it might save you money.) Good Luck

Joel

Thanks for the book recommendations. I've been on here for almost a year now. I think.
Old 01-06-2017, 19:48   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I too am only a couple years removed from where you are now. It's exciting and nerve racking the first few times. Talk to all the old salts in your marina, they will be happy to tell you how to do everything(and no advice will be the same)
After that it will still be exciting and nerve racking, but you will have more confidence;-)
I believe owning your own pocket cruiser is the best way to learn. You will make mistakes, you will lean from them and you will pay for them too. If you later decide to take lessons on a bigger boat(like we did) you will also be able to ask the right questions and take more knowledge home to practise.
I'm too far away to come out with you, but ask around. Most sailors love trying out other people's boats.
Have fun
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 20:16   #5

Read all you can.

Have a blast!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 21:15   #6

Boat: Alberg 35

The Tanzer 22 is a solid, tough boat. I sailed on for years on Northern Lake Michigan and Traverse Bay. There used to be a fairly good user group but I think that may have passed. I just sold my jibs and a manual for the boat to a new owner in Florida; if you need it, I could ask her if she would be willing to send you a copy of the manual.

As to rigging... the mast is heavy. Very heavy. Do NOT attach the shrouds (the side wires) before you set it up. I believe my procedure was to attach the shrouds, headstay and backstay to the mast but not to the boat. Ideally you have six people: one on the bow, one on the stern, one on each side, two to lift. LIft the mast into position. Attach headstay, backstay and lower shrouds. Attach upper shrouds. Give everyone a beer. Now tighten the headstay and backstay. I can't remember if the top or lower shrouds get tightened next; ask around about this. The main thing is just get the mast straight. There you go. Feel free to message me if you need more info.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
The Tanzer 22 is a solid, tough boat. I sailed on for years on Northern Lake Michigan and Traverse Bay. There used to be a fairly good user group but I think that may have passed. I just sold my jibs and a manual for the boat to a new owner in Florida; if you need it, I could ask her if she would be willing to send you a copy of the manual.

As to rigging... the mast is heavy. Very heavy. Do NOT attach the shrouds (the side wires) before you set it up. I believe my procedure was to attach the shrouds, headstay and backstay to the mast but not to the boat. Ideally you have six people: one on the bow, one on the stern, one on each side, two to lift. LIft the mast into position. Attach headstay, backstay and lower shrouds. Attach upper shrouds. Give everyone a beer. Now tighten the headstay and backstay. I can't remember if the top or lower shrouds get tightened next; ask around about this. The main thing is just get the mast straight. There you go. Feel free to message me if you need more info.

Thanks for the great info. No need for the manual. The previous owner had one and gave it to me.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
. Bought my first sail boat, now what?
Now be prepared to spend money, lots of it! Seriously though, enjoy it and learn what you like and don't like. You don't have to spend a lot of money. The first year you'll find things that you want, such as sailing gloves, a good jacket for the rain, charts, etc. There are also the things you need such as flares, life jackets, etc. It will seem like a lot at first, but it doesn't have to be crazy.

Don't be put off by the naysayers. Enjoy it! I have a few boats and I love it. Yes, I am spending money, but after a couple of years the hemorrhaging ends (or at least isn't as bad anymore), and the boat is in a condition that I am satisfied with it.

I know a few people who buy a used boat and put nothing into her. They sail it to learn, and only do enough to keep her running. Once done, they sell her or scrap it and get the boat they really want. It's a perfectly valid way of learning what you like and don't like in a boat. Others put a little into the boat so that they enjoy it a little more.

Others, like me, are insane, and try to restore everything. Set your budget and have fun. Don't sweat the little stuff and get out and sail. Good luck to you.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45   #9

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Bought a Tanzer 22 over the memorial day weekend. I've only sailed a few times and never done any rigging. Basically showed up and got on board and went racing.

I figured the best way to learn is on my own boat. I don't want to put a lot money fixing it up. I just want to learn how to sail and then buy a better boat.

So if anyone is in the Central Arkansas area and has some spare time that wants to help a couple of young guys who have never sailed. Shoot me a message. Attachment 148952Attachment 148953Attachment 148954Attachment 148955
First and foremost. Have a drink in the cockpit with some friends (in the driveway if needed).
Then get sailing.....LOL

Welcome aboard
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50   #10

Boat: 1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK

Don't put a lot of money into fixing it up but do put a lot of work into fixing it up. You will make mistakes and learn from that work so that you'll know how to do things better on the next boat. Enjoy!
rdthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Sounds to me that your doing pretty good so far. Many of us started out only knowing what we read in boating mags. Got a hold of a boat and went out and put what we read into action. Like they say, experience is the best teacher. Just mind the safety aspects and don't get in over your head with the weather. Your going to have a blast out there on a beam reach with 15-20 knots of wind.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cat View Post
First and foremost. Have a drink in the cockpit with some friends (in the driveway if needed).
Then get sailing.....LOL

Welcome aboard

Definitely going to do that. And add a nice Cuban cigar to the combo.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:07   #13

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Now you've bought an older boat, the best sailing magazine to subscribe to is "Good Old Boat" ... they cover all the boats we speak of here on CF & give pretty good information.
I've subscribed to many boating magazines over the years & eventually dropped all of them except G.O.B.
Have fun with your 'new' boat.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 18:20   #14

congratulations on your Tanzer 22; I've owned hull #1306 and have her on a lake in south TX since 2003. I knew little to nothing about sailing (other than that I knew I wanted to sail) when I bought her. She's been an extremely durable and forgiving vessel, and has given me enough experience to motivate me to seek the next level of my sailing adventure. Taught my 10 year old son to sail on this boat, he's 22 now and has a serious passion for sailing. The boat does well in brisk wind (if you judge the right amount of sail to hoist) ; we have laid her down (broach) but she righted herself and the shin deep water in the cockpit quickly drained out. Haven't sunk much money into her lately, and she's definitely a "project", but for our intended purpose (gaining experience and actually sailing, not fixing) she's a great stepping stone. So happy to hear of another Tanzer being out there! Looks like you got the swing keel? Take care & best wishes
packerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 18:45   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Learn the ColRegs. Sailboats when motoring are considered motor boats. Sailboats not motoring don't have the "right-of-way" when overtaking another boat or when changing direction to intersect another boat close by. The sailboat should maintain course and let the motorized boat maneuver if needed, unless collision is nearly imminent and you would adjust course to avoid same.

Tags
boat, sail