Old 28-10-2014, 18:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Re: Born to Sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLunatic View Post
<snip>
One of the many issues he claimed to encounter was a resistance to outsiders learning to sail. In his Beginning Sailing classes he encountered an opinion that if one were not raised to the sailing culture you were holding the rest back (class was a first step to a Captains license and the students didn’t want someone just learning to sail in a Beginning Sailing Class.

If anyone "born to sail" and experienced is in a beginner class and complainging of the class having beginners, they are idiots.

There are classes that have "experts" that can be quite annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLunatic View Post
Except the two I encountered on two separate occasions that DID have some sailing experience (I live in Oklahoma City. Being land locked there ain’t a lot.). BOTH have stated point blank that one must be ‘Born to Sailing’ (one lady’s phrase) to consider a livaboard. It wasn’t just that she believed it a bad idea, it was the look of barely disguised anger/disgust that gave me pause.
Saililng experience? Hmmm...

Folks committed to LOD (Life on Dirt) don't get it and never will.

Go back and tell them that they are right and you have changed your mind. You are now going to get a cabin in the mountains, you are going off grid and are planning for the zombie apocalypse.

They'll probably think you completely normal.

Hang out here. You'll get lots of support for your dreams.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:28   #17
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Do children born in a birthing pool turn out to be better swimmers?

Are those who grow up in the country incapable of navigating a City? Those who've never been to the city may try to tell you that "there be Dragons..."

Old 28-10-2014, 19:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Are those who grow up in the country incapable of navigating a City? Those who've never been to the city may try to tell you that "there be Dragons..."
Elephants, you've got to see the elephant!
Old 28-10-2014, 21:17   #19

I think, that is a very interesting book. I will find time to read that.
Old 28-10-2014, 21:19   #20

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit

Sorry... when I said "above posts are right on" I was referring to jonleur, biker6977, Cwyckham, et al. (Agreeing with their views). The "arrogant and ignorant" descriptions were directed toward the persons mentioned by the originator of this thread; those who believe you have to be "born into sailing."
Sorry if I caused any confusion or misinterpreted something as rognvald has construed. The intention was simply to offer my 2 and support to DailyLunatic's very real concern.
Old 28-10-2014, 22:05   #21

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

well I'm one of the born to sailing types BUT - after a rather long break from boat ownership a few years ago I got ready to set off on my first sail on newly acquired sailboat - EVEN after warning myself that I was decidedly rusty and would doubtless make a few howlers - the FIRST thing i did after casting off the mooring rope was RUN it over and wrap it around the prop. And there was worse to come. One of the nice? things about sailing is - you've NEVER seen it all, something is always going to humble you.
Old 02-11-2014, 13:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Angel,
I think you have misread/misinterpreted some of the above statements and since you are a published author, may I also suggest you read the meaning of irony, sarcasm and wit as literary devices. It will greatly help you better understand the comments of some of the respondents on this Forum and will undoubtedly enrichen your loyal readership. Good luck, good sailing and may your mind never be boggled with ignorance and arrogance. It may never truly recover. Handbook of Literary Terms: yalepress.yale.edu/book.asp?isbn=9780300164312
Out of curiosity did you think that because her post was right after yours that it was aimed at you?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vAngel View Post
Sorry... when I said "above posts are right on" I was referring to jonleur, biker6977, Cwyckham, et al. (Agreeing with their views). The "arrogant and ignorant" descriptions were directed toward the persons mentioned by the originator of this thread; those who believe you have to be "born into sailing."
Sorry if I caused any confusion or misinterpreted something as rognvald has construed. The intention was simply to offer my 2 and support to DailyLunatic's very real concern.

So, Angel,
Your reference to Music and Science were completely coincidental to my previous comment and were not at all related? Perhaps as a result of transcendental sensory emissions? Or maybe even laser transmissions from outer space? Thank you. I think I finally understand. Good luck, good sailing and thank you for the explanation.
Old 03-11-2014, 16:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
D,
. . . however, I do believe there is an ancestral memory encoded in our DNA from extant populations that lived for hundreds if not thousands of years in and around a seafaring culture. Why is someone who lives in Oklahoma or Nebraska with no prior exposure irresistibly drawn to the sea?...
I just hafta ask....what about those people who are irresistibly drawn to the air?
Old 03-11-2014, 16:53   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Calafat 33

I think you are courageous. It's a merit, no arrogance.
Old 03-11-2014, 17:12   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
I just hafta ask....what about those people who are irresistibly drawn to the air?
They are called "air heads" and it is my observation that the world has become overpopulated with them.
Old 03-11-2014, 18:55   #27

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit

Uh-oh, I'm definitely one of those "airheads." Lately, I've been really good at having dumb luck and being an airhead. Dumb luck: my first post falling under one I haven't seen. Airhead: not realizing how it looks as if that post is addressing the innocent (and really interesting now that I've seen it!) post directly above it. Wow...duh. I really made a mess of things, gonna put my tin foil hat back on and slink away now.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: