Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 06:52   #1
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Boating with the famous and semi famous: Ya have any celebrity friends?

If you watch any of the medical shows on OWN or the Discovery Health Channel ya may see a few doctors and nurses on TV that boat with us or hang at the Two Harbors Reef bar.

My wife works in Oncology and it seems she knows everyone in the medical field here in the west.

She gets famous patients too.
Can't mention their names, but their stories are from fantastic, to sad where their only visitors are family members counting their approaching inheritance and needed signatures then vanishing into the night.

A very famous car customizer was a patient of my wifes in to get his cancerous bladder replaced.
The surgery removes one's bladder and replaces it with a new one made from the patients intestine.
Works fantastic.

Boxes of custom printed TV show t shirts and sweatshirts arrived at the hospital one day for the staff.
He sent us a set of Hollow Rubber springs to easily install on our truck after the wife showed him a picture of our truck hooked up to our wakeboard boat one quiet night at the hospital.

Cool gesture IMHO.
Amazing, fantastic suspension enhancers. if ya tow a boat, perhaps Google Hollow Rubber Springs and check them out.

We just happened to be at the next table from he and his family over at the Harbor reef restaurant one summer evening. He invited out to his boat for drinks that night.
Fun.

I was walking to my truck yesterday and Charlie Sheens agent who lives up the street from us pulled up to talk. I was heading to West Marine and he asked to come along. Lance needed some new dock lines and we'd knock down a few drinks at the near-by beach bar.
Rudder Room:

We stopped off at the Rudder Room bar and 2 shots into Jack, he finally admitted Charlie's troubles were due to crack use.
"It's become impossible to be around him", and he's going to quit working for him this next week.
He still works for Charlie's dad Martin though.

Going to private school my daughter meets the kids of the famous, or some of her friends are semi-famous themselves. Often they are invited along on our boating trips.
Yeah, Cybil Shepards kids are dropped off / picked up in a limo every day.

The amount of kids used in Hollywood is amazing.
Watch the ESPN channel for 2 hours and count how many different kids faces you see in the commercials in that 2 hour timespan. That includes TV ads for motion pictures,, count the kids in that too.
You'll easily get over 80 perhaps far more. Remember that's only ESPN!

Try the Disney Channel or MTV,, far higher count. It's a huge industry employing bussloads of kids.

My daughter worked in Hollywood for about 4 years. Appeared in every movie Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston made and TV series and commercials. She earned enough to pay for her schooling. She now has her doctorate in math and heads the wardrobe dept for a studio. Math major with a clothing design minor at CSUN. Bizzare combo,, but it works and pays well.

She still gets recognised in public when the movies or her TV appearances re-appear on AMC or TCM or re-run on cable at night.
Old ladies give her their phone number to give to the police on the show because they saw who killed her dad. That was the shows story line, not in real life, and some just don't get it.

In high school, our daughter would invite the son of a super famous Director to go boating / wake boarding with us from time to time.
A neat kid fun to have along.

We had to arrange security on our over nite trips to the Colorado River.
I got it through the local sheriffs office that had a list of LEO's that moonlighted off-duty.
That's led to some fastastic future well paying gigs for the LEOS BTW.

At the boat show we noticed Kurt Russell checking out the vendors.
The drunks were loud, obnoxious and would not leave him alone. Russell kept moving fast, and the drunks formed a wake behind him in pursuit.

An avid family boater is a former St Louis Cardinal pitcher that lives a few doors down from us.
We like to hit a few drinks and lunch at a floating bar on the Colorado river.
Some in the bar that notice who he is need to recite his entire career to him.
He's patient, bends an ear and plays along, though the kids get annoyed because it takes their time from their dad

"Takes less time it's it's far easier to be nice to these people than to be an a hole" Jimmy Buffet told him once he says.
Seems to work.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 08:31   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Boating with the famous and semi famous: Ya have any celebrity friends?

GOSSOP!!!!!!!!!!! I always wonder Who Cares- people are much the same famous or not!
Seems to me we all need to look at our self more !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:00   #3

Hope I dont go have a drink with you!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
GOSSOP!!!!!!!!!!! I always wonder Who Cares- people are much the same famous or not!
Seems to me we all need to look at our self more !
I agree one needs to live ones own life and not live vicarioulsy through others. But, sadly many people do. Many who live in the Hollyweird bubble have this notion that the laws don't apply to them or that they are more important than someone who works for a living. Same goes for places like DC or New York where the political or media bubbles prevail. When someone starts discussing some Hollywood actor or some other personality who is in "the news" for whatever scandalous reason. I turn to them and say "And this is important for me to know because?" I'm also amused that some in Hollywood and the media think I should listen to them on some flavor of the month political/enviornmental cause they are expousing.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:13   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hope I dont go have a drink with you!
If you do it could be big news here on CF!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:32   #6

Boat: too many

On an up note, life is better for all who have worked in the industry in the last 45 years thanks to residual agreements reached back then between SAG, AFTRA, and the studios. Your mention of your daughter getting some gigs, if speaking rolls, the checks will keep rolling in. My cousin is Woody Skaggs, and I would guess if your not a credit watcher, would not know him. He came from live theater to Hollywood and made his best income during the big strike about 25 years ago when the Longshoremen in Long Beach offered employment for the striking SAG/AFTRA members. Woody has returned to theater as a director, but those residuals keep him paying his bills. I'm old enough to remembered the industry before residuals, and that was a reason the actors started a retirement home for their aging fellow performers.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:40   #7

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

I don't understand the purpose of this thread. OK, so the OP associates with people who have attained "celebrity" status. And.....?????
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:51   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the star struck thing is just that-- there are so many who have limelight in their lives yet seek anonymity.
is too bad the privacy thing, in medicine, known as HIPAA in usa, isnt followed more widely in life, as most of these folks are just wanting to live life. i know--my family has been in same position over time and found not to be allowed privacy in our times of quiet and enjoyment.
we have had politicians, actors, dancers, many well known souls in family.

is nice to know souls with alleged fame and fortune-- we were always told not to speak with strangers for 2 reasons, the second being kidnapping of kids, the primary one being the stranger is probably someone from national enquirer or some other rag with printed trash.
celebrities are merely souls with well known names who dress same as we do --one leg at a time.
i worked with "big name" folks as well-- we were advised to keep the names out of conversation for the safety of thos e we treated and for their privacy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:56   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
Worked on chris reeves boat. He was a really nice nit snotty but down to earth guy. Sorry he passed. Worked on a few of Hal Roth's boats he was a spit fire with firm vision and pointed direction. Ted Kennedy came by a local disaster to express his concern and Genuine support. I was very impressed with the gesture. He drove out early in the morning to see the site. Bill and Hilary clinton I did an event they attended and spoke at a closed event. Found them warm humorous very smart compassionate. Worked with the secret service and usually they are trying to balance a low presence because the client wants to be a person not a attraction. mostly I have found recognized names to be quite normal people nit so different from anyone else.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:09   #10

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Im saying nothing .........yet. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

All im sayin is you guys just dont know who is around the corner
Old 15-04-2012, 12:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im saying nothing .........yet. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

All im sayin is you guys just dont know who is around the corner
Anjou:

Well, if the U.S. media is any guide it will probably either be Kim Kardashien, Paris Hilton, George Clooney etc... or one of the da ta dahs from the Jersey Shore TV show.
Old 15-04-2012, 14:18   #12

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

I sail with Captain Morgan, Jim Beam, and the Kraken all the time!
Old 15-04-2012, 14:32   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I was a TV and movie critic for a number of years and also co-owned a music magazine and met, interviewed and occasionally partied with actors and famous musicians. Celebrity did not really impress me, and only a few of the people I met were really that interesting in their own right, apart from some pretty vivid "high life" anecdotes.

I've also met a lot of very rich people through financial journalism. Again, not always the most interesting folks off their particular turf. They tend to have had a limited focus, with their "interests" purchased to impress their peers. Others have turned a knack for finance into a means to pay for their other interests, like exploration or art or patronage.

Acting, rock stars and wealth are fine, but they are not ranking very high in my list of achievements. I've interviewed or spoken with a few ocean racers and long-term cruisers, and that does rank high. They are generally not only very interesting people (and not just because I sail), but are more "complete" in the sense of having balanced viewpoints that are truly independent of the crazy harangue that constitutes civil discourse these days.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 15:53   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

This sums the post up IMHO

Old 15-04-2012, 16:15   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i'm very fond of the rich and famous who have super yachts,and especially the people who crew on their yachts....over the years the rich and famous have given me many thousands of dollars worth of stuff from their yachts...

mainly donated by captains,bosuns,stewardesses,who after visiting "salamandra" and been able to have a bit of a party and let their hair down away from the owners,are only too happy to liberate their ships stores..............for a good cause.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating