Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Boaters Pissed about Security Checks on the Hudson

New York Times carriers an interesting article this morning about the two-dozen agencies that patrol around NYC and the number of times they conduct security checks on boaters.

The author labels boaters as "a sometimes cantankerous and self-regarding lot."

I might get a bit cantankerous, too, if my boat was stopped four times in one day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/ny...r-boaters.html

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:38   #2

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Boaters pissed about security checks on the Hudson

I have been past the NY skyline a number of times in recent years and have never been harassed by l.e. Have been anchored right in front of Indian Point, past the UN when the Pres. was there amidst a veritable swarm of CG security, anchored behind the Statue of Liberty, past West Point. Never a check although close to many l.e. boats. My theory is that the agencies involved must have a list of boats that have been identified as not a threat. There is so much traffic in and around NYC that it would seem an impossible task to stop all the boats. I suspect these complaints must be based on places where there are grossly overstaffed local marine police units, trying to justify their existence as mentioned in the piece.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

The article doesn't say it, but I suspect the boats stopped mostly are large power boats capable of doing significant damage to bridges, buildings, military vessels, etc.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 00:06   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
The article doesn't say it, but I suspect the boats stopped mostly are large power boats capable of doing significant damage to bridges, buildings, military vessels, etc.
Oh well, if they're large power boaters, then that explains why they're cantankerous...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 00:16   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Boaters Pissed about Security Checks on the Hudson

When I see the word 'Pissed' used in the American way, as a Brit, it always catches my eye in the same way as 'Shopfitting' and 'Warehouse'

'Pissed' means drunk. 'Pissed off' means not happy.

For 'Shopfitting' read shoplifting
For Warehouse read whorehouse, or as you guys say, hoehouse, except a hoe is a cultivation implement
Old 13-06-2011, 03:18   #6

Seems the local boaters are doing the right thing and making a stand against them. Also they are somewhat up river from New York City.
I have been docked here for 3 weeks. Not a problem. Never seen them stop anyone.
This includes fleet week.
There are numerous coast guard and police vessels. Coast guard vessels often shadow larger vessels -aircraft carriers, even the QE2. They also hold station (3 of them) between the military ships - deck mounted machine guns ready.
They are on high alert. But I have had no problem.
As the author suggests - probably same as other places - just revenue generating in the suburbs...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 05:13   #7

Boat: Pearson 26

“They could have ended up with a new boat with a hole in the hull,” Detective Westbrook said. “And we’re the bad guys?”

This statement seems to reveal Detective Westbrook's attitude toward boaters, in general. OK...so you saved a clueless couple with more money than sense. What does that have to do with the harassment of the law-abiding (and competent) majority?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 05:14   #8

Boat: contessa 32

O.K. I keep my boat in the mid hudson region(mostly trees on shore) .Yesterday ,Sunday only myself on river;so who do I have to contend with when I go out? At one time or another there is: Dutchess Co. Sheriff ,Ulster co. sheriff ,NY state police, DEC,State park police,Coast guard,and the N.Y. Navy! (Oh yea,NY has a navy just google it to confirm) You never know when Vermont might attack across lake Champlain. Every one of these boats costs more than any boat I, or most here , will ever have in their own boat.All my taxes on fees are going up, You tell me if there is a connection. FWIW: the Coast Guard is the most Proffessional of the lot.
Did I mention Home land Security?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 05:57   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You a big power boater mrohr? Oh, by the way, how did you have to contend with these folks?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:30   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

That can be a good thing. When Detectives Kenneth Hasko and C. J. Westbrook cruised from Tarrytown to Cortlandt one recent Friday, their one stop involved rescuing a couple in a new $40,000 boat with a dead battery, stuck on a sunken barge. The officers found the couple’s knowledge of marine safety somewhat lacking.
“You have your flares?” Detective Westbrook asked.
“What’s a flare?” the man replied.
They towed the couple in and made sure they got help. “They could have ended up with a new boat with a hole in the hull,” Detective Westbrook said. “And we’re the bad guys?”
Officials say that while they are sensitive to the complaints, there is no going back to the world before 9/11.
“Job No. 1 is keeping people safe,” said Charles Rowe, a Coast Guard spokesman. “Even the ones who are complaining.”

I think the good detective misses the point by a nautical mile. Leading me to ponder on his cognitive abilities as a detective to distinguish the difference between a possible terrorist threat and a typical boating stop. How does that line go, those who would give up a little freedom for a little security?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
O.K. I keep my boat in the mid hudson region(mostly trees on shore) .Yesterday ,Sunday only myself on river;so who do I have to contend with when I go out? At one time or another there is: Dutchess Co. Sheriff ,Ulster co. sheriff ,NY state police, DEC,State park police,Coast guard,and the N.Y. Navy! (Oh yea,NY has a navy just google it to confirm) You never know when Vermont might attack across lake Champlain. Every one of these boats costs more than any boat I, or most here , will ever have in their own boat.All my taxes on fees are going up, You tell me if there is a connection. FWIW: the Coast Guard is the most Proffessional of the lot.
Did I mention Home land Security?
Must have been a nice day on the water. Good duty.
I note there are a lot less LEOs out when the weather is bad. If I were a terrorist I would attack during a squall
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Must have been a nice day on the water. Good duty.
I note there are a lot less LEOs out when the weather is bad. If I were a terrorist I would attack during a squall
You are now on a terrorist watch list.
Please proceed to the nearest precinct with the contents of your holding tank open for inspection...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:16   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Around here we don't have so much by the way of floating Popo (Yeah, I seen "The Wire" ).

Upside is that taxes be lower.

Downside is a constant battle with Terrorists and Pirates, especially for the nice anchorages in sunny weather
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security, Hudson