Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 13:49   #1

Boat Yards Hostile to Do-It-Yourselfers

The Windward Yacht Boatyard in Marina Del Rey is bottom painting my sailboat. I ask Chris, the boss, if I could do work concurrent with painting. He said yes but no outside contractors. While boat was drying after pressure wash, I changed the prop, changed a speed transducer and patching a small bit of damage on bottom of rudder. Chris came out in afternoon and said he was going to charge me one day extra fee (over $300), because his workers did not do the work. He claimed I didn't tell him about the small fiberglass work. The damage was discovered only that day. I had paid "rent" for the painting I don't think I should be double charged. My work did not impact their paint schedule or resulted in more time on the hard or used outside contractors. Small claims court?
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 14:05   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Boat Yards Hostile to Do-It-Yourselfers

Dunno, worth keeping relations good, those that allow any at all getting rarer every day.

Lesson for all, ultra clear communications, micro managing the relationship, maybe keep written comms updated?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 14:11   #3

Boat: Catalina 28

Not sure I understand why they feel the need to charge you, unless they're somehow implying that the fiberglass repair would have been part of the bottom painting job that they were hired to do and you "stole" that work/profit away from them? In any case I'd first mention it to the marina boss/owner and see if they can mediate. Might be good to go in with a "Look, maybe it was a misunderstanding, but I've been loyal slip holder here for X years..." kind of approach. Going in hot and angry will only get their defenses up. Good luck!
ChesapeakeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 14:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rich.
Good advice!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 16:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Unfortunately they've got you b your private parts because if you don't come to some agreement they've got the boat. Most yards won't let you do bottom work because of the EPA. They few that do require you to use vacuum sanders which are quite expensive to buy and power. Some yards will rent you the equipment if they do allow you to do the work.

You need to talk to the yard manager to find out why they are charging you an outside labor fee when it was okay for you to do your own work. You may be able to get the fee removed if you have a nice conversation with them stating your case.

Did you use a grinder for the rudder repair?? That may be the problem as the EPA apparently considers inert fiberglass dust as dangerous to the environment as ground off bottom paint. They may be worried about repercussions and wanted to get your attention to the problem. Just hauled my boat and the yard was extremely picky about doing any work below the water line. Could change and install through hulls and transducers in existing pukas but they came down on me like a ton of bricks as soon as they saw a piece of sandpaper or a drill in my hands.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 17:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

marina del rey California? you are being effed. BUT be nice they might hold yout boat hostage BUT the moment, if it was me, I would go on a "I got #%{\~" by the marina for doing MY own work. I lived 2 1/2 miles from the airport W landed at when he went to Kennebunk port. I was very UNHAPPY with mt desktop. I told them I would put a sign on my front yard saying this. long story short after 1 1/2 years I returned it for FULL refund. Anchor in front of the marina with a sign, make sure EVERTHING is truthful, and smile you may be reimburssed to go away.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 17:09   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

It's three hundred bucks, for God's sake. Small claims will take more in time and filing fees than that. Not to mention, you probably won't win. Take this as a lesson learned, pay the bill and move on. Be sure to let Chris know however, that you will certainly never be back and will leave him a scathing Yelp review. He might drop the $300 fee, you never know.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 17:34   #8

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I agree with fstbttms - its $300. Pay it and be on your way.

I'd first discuss and try to resolve it in a friendly manner. If that fails, just move on and leave reviews explaining the issue on all the major review sites
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 18:33   #9

1. Bad Yelp review, 2. pay up and lesson learned, 3. not go there again
is the plan.

This yard is in MDR, California.

They have a yard wide drainage sump with clarifier to take care of toxic debris. They charge an "environmental fee" if you do paint yourself.

The last couple times in boatyards I was able to DIY no problem.

Thank you for your replies, had to vent somewhere.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It's three hundred bucks, for God's sake. Small claims will take more in time and filing fees than that. Not to mention, you probably won't win. Take this as a lesson learned,pay the bill and move on. Be sure to let Chris know however, that you will certainly never be back and will leave him a scathing Yelp review.

Are you saying that the OP should do as you are saying if the charges were not justified (i.e. EPA issues or something)?
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:06   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Why do I recall that boatyard name... I think there was thread about them some time back...
Unfortunately I gotta agree, just smile and say ok, and find a new yard...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:11   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
The Windward Yacht Boatyard in Marina Del Rey is bottom painting my sailboat. I ask Chris, the boss, if I could do work concurrent with painting. He said yes but no outside contractors. While boat was drying after pressure wash, I changed the prop, changed a speed transducer and patching a small bit of damage on bottom of rudder. Chris came out in afternoon and said he was going to charge me one day extra fee (over $300), because his workers did not do the work. He claimed I didn't tell him about the small fiberglass work. The damage was discovered only that day. I had paid "rent" for the painting I don't think I should be double charged. My work did not impact their paint schedule or resulted in more time on the hard or used outside contractors. Small claims court?
You are getting screwed and should work on getting a better answer because right now it sounds like "yes you can do your own work, but we are still going to charge you as if we were doing it"

But other than that I bet all you can now do is AFTER you get out of the yard you write a review in every place you can think of.
Old 05-03-2019, 19:16   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Are you saying that the OP should do as you are saying if the charges were not justified (i.e. EPA issues or something)?
That's exactly what I'm saying.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying.

What's the name of your business?
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:43   #15

Something I realized many years back......Pirates were not as a whole eradicated.....they just stayed ashore and own marina's and boatyards.

If you keep that in mind you will rarely be surprised.

Just sayin.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat