Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 16:02   #31
Sav
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Darwin, Australia
Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch
Posts: 60
Images: 5
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

In Australia we must display our registration number on the stern. A combination of letters and numbers.
I'm sure that the number on that hull is a registration number from somewhere.
__________________

__________________
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:21   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,730
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Thanks Ann
As you say " All kinds of puzzles"
So I am no further forward finding out whether the number on this hulls bow is a US 'thing' or another countries requirement
Doing a search for HIN, SSR, IMO etc only seems to bring up alphanumeric combinations
Any body got any ideas ?
Numbers only on bows are not a USA thing.

State registration numbers are normally displayed on bows, but are prefixed by two letters indicating State of registration. Like FLnnnnn.

As already posted, USCG registration numbers are not displayed on hull.
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 19:42   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,631
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

It's unfortunate that this happens to so many mono's. Keel snap's off and the boat washes up on shore. Though in truth, this is a lucky one because it didn't sink the the bottom like most do. Damn dangerous design. I'd never have one because they simply are not built to handle having their keel fall off.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 19:51   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It's unfortunate that this happens to so many mono's. Keel snap's off and the boat washes up on shore. Though in truth, this is a lucky one because it didn't sink the the bottom like most do. Damn dangerous design. I'd never have one because they simply are not built to handle having their keel fall off.
Are you nuts?
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 20:29   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,067
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Are you nuts?
moment of truth for mono people. not everyone takes it well.
__________________
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 20:58   #36
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,187
Images: 34
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It's unfortunate that this happens to so many mono's. Keel snap's off and the boat washes up on shore. Though in truth, this is a lucky one because it didn't sink the the bottom like most do. Damn dangerous design. I'd never have one because they simply are not built to handle having their keel fall off.
Yep, keels fall off of boats pretty much everyday around here... boats are always just disappearing. One minute they are there, then, bam, keel falls off, they capsize and then, poof, they are gone. A real pity. A lot of capsized cats floating around here too... real navigational hazard.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:51   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,414
Images: 69
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Does anyone know more about this? Hopefully the crew were OK.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:18   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska/Portugal
Boat: Custom 55
Posts: 668
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

To the number question-

USCG official numbers are simply sequentially issued. They went to 7 figures in maybe 2003 or so, as they had registered boat 999,999. I don't know if they started at zero, but this is the way it works with USCG documentation. There is nothing there that has to do with vessel length or anything else, for that matter.

Numbers on the bow are common in lots of countries, so not many clues there either, unfortunately.

TJ
__________________
TJ, Jenny, and Baxter
svrocketscience.com
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:46   #39
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,631
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yep, keels fall off of boats pretty much everyday around here... boats are always just disappearing. One minute they are there, then, bam, keel falls off, they capsize and then, poof, they are gone. A real pity. A lot of capsized cats floating around here too... real navigational hazard.
I read the same thing on the internet so it must be true I guess it's better with the mono's though because they sink right away instead of floating around like cats creating that real nav hazard.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:55   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
IslandHopper's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,188
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
......instead of floating around like cats creating that real nav hazard.
They make great FAD's though.....
__________________
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:50   #41
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

I dont think he loose the keel by a failure, most likely this boat ran aground or broke free from the mooring or anchor and end in a shallow rocky bottom, fact is the rig is still there, cant believe the boat reach the shore without keel and with the rig in place....
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00   #42
Registered User
 
sailingquest's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Deale, Md
Boat: Allied Princess 36
Posts: 13
Images: 3
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Its isnt a USCG number. I just went to their site and looked up the number and it is not documented.
__________________
Capt Mark Schwenk
ASA Instructor on the s/v Quest
www.sailingquest.com
sailingquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:43   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

If this was in Anguilla... it might be a boat from St Marten.. French side or maybe the Dutch side.

Has anyone yet gone to it and examined it?
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:05   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Anguilla
Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Posts: 384
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Just found out the owner tried to get it off the beach but couldn't. It's a French boat, probably from St Martin. We just had bad Westerlies, I lost my bowsprit in the swells. It probably broke loose and came across the channel.
__________________
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 20:23   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,284
Re: Boat washed up in Anguilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I dont think he loose the keel by a failure, most likely this boat ran aground or broke free from the mooring or anchor and end in a shallow rocky bottom, fact is the rig is still there, cant believe the boat reach the shore without keel and with the rig in place....
Good observation, Neil. I sure agree that with that big hole in the bottom, the boat would have sunk long before drifting ashore. In fact, if floating it likely would have been inverted, mast pointing straight down after t he keel left the premises. When it reached water where the depth was less than the mast height, BANG! Off would go the rig.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania...our home away from home! In the area for a few months.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Anguilla, boat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns SimonV General Sailing Forum 124 19-07-2013 05:16
Anguilla Passage - BVI to Anguilla or St Martin cprebble Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 24-05-2012 05:01
Anguilla ? caribcruiser Atlantic & the Caribbean 10 07-01-2011 21:32
Race Boats Washed Ashore in Phuket . . . sneuman Seamanship & Boat Handling 30 26-12-2010 21:44
St John to Anguilla diver_mikea Atlantic & the Caribbean 11 05-07-2009 21:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.