Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2016, 09:21   #1

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation
Boat Transportation

Good morning all,

I am new to sailing and all things boats however, I wanted an adventure with my daughter. We have lived in the Phoenix AZ area and recently sold everything and moved to St. Petersburg FL. I purchased a 30' Irwin sailboat that is located in KY. We are in a temporary condo until I can get the boat here to live aboard. I have contacted 2 companies for transportation quotes, but they have no availability until after the new year. Does anyone have a suggestion on a company that is reasonable with pricing? Or, thoughts/opinions on me flying into KY and finding someone to help me sail it to FL?

Any input is appreciated!

Old 21-11-2016, 10:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Boat Transportation

Put a request onto UShip and you should get a few bites.

Question? Why did you buy an Irwin 30 in Kentucky when there are so many similar boats already in Florida?

Don't feel like you need to answer, it's only a curiosity.

Old 21-11-2016, 10:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Alisa,

Hope you got a really great deal on the Irwin because it's going to cost you to move it to FL. Irwin 30 has a beam over 10' so it will require special permits to haul it over the road. Depending on the size truck and trailer you find I expect it will be at least $2-3,000.

Is this the deep draft or shoal draft version? That may have an impact as well.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:23   #4

Very good question Sailmonkey. Yes, I got an amazing deal on the boat. All new electric wiring, new plumbing, like new interior, for under 5K. Everything I have found that was even close to the same condition here in FL was over 10K. So I figure the cost to transport still saves me money after it's all said and done. I just didn't realize getting it here would be so difficult to coordinate with a company. I am almost considering re-selling it and buying one here if need be, in order to have it sooner than later. It looks as though I will end up spending a lot more on short term rentals until I have the boat than the cost of a slightly more expensive boat.

Skipmac, it's a shoal draft. Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind when getting my quotes.

Thank you for the replies! I will try Uship.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:35   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi, Alisa... congratulations on your new purchase... sound like a great deal. If your new boat is anywhere near a water way that leads to the east coast, consider hiring a skipper to bring her down the coast for you. Now is a slow time for deliveries and you may be able to accompany a qualified skipper on the trip along with your daughter for a pretty good price. You will learn the boat and a bit about navigation, safety aboard and the boats' equipment.
You are joining a very large, diverse community who will be only too happy to give you all kinds of free advice. It is all worth exactly what you paid for it!
Cheers, and good luck... Phil
Old 21-11-2016, 15:46   #6

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I called several boat transporters in the Great Lakes region a year ago and was quoted $4.5 to $5 per mile. I imagine the prices in Kentucky would be similar.
Old 21-11-2016, 16:20   #7

Boat: SJ 21

From what Capt Phil said, if you can find a skipper the boat could take a portion of the Great Loop waterway route from Kentucky to the Gulf then St. Pete.. I do not know how to find the qualified skipper. Best of luck.
Old 23-11-2016, 07:33   #8

Capt Phil, thank you so much for your reply and suggestions. I have been leaning more an more toward this option, mainly, for experience on my boat. Being new to all of this makes me nervous about making the wrong decision, but very excited to start this journey. I have been browsing this forum and it looks as though there is a place I can post regarding looking for a skipper. Do you have any other suggestions on where I might be able to find a reliable and qualified person for the job?

Again, thank you so much for the encouragement!
Old 23-11-2016, 07:54   #9

Are you tied to being in Florida for a job?

If not and the boat is in decent operational condition and presumably in the Kentucky Lakes area, head south with it yourself. It's a manageable trip and you could be to Mobile by mid December if you leave soon with easy day runs. Worst case, some of the marinas are open all year on the Tenn-Tom. It will be a little chilly but doable.

I would expect somewhere around $4-5k to haul. We paid that a few years back to haul from Kentucky Lakes to Michigan, which is a pretty similar distance.
Old 23-11-2016, 09:49   #10

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Are you tied to being in Florida for a job?

If not and the boat is in decent operational condition and presumably in the Kentucky Lakes area, head south with it yourself. It's a manageable trip and you could be to Mobile by mid December if you leave soon with easy day runs. Worst case, some of the marinas are open all year on the Tenn-Tom. It will be a little chilly but doable.
This. And you won't be sailing it, at least until Mobile, you'll be driving it. Look at the Great Loop route, through the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway system. You'll need some help for the first few days to learn about locks and anchoring/docking.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:59   #11

Valhalla360, thank you for the information. I'm feeling much more up to this idea with every response from this forum!

Cottontop, great point, and thank you for the reply! Knowing I would not be actually sailing, but driving it, for at least a good portion of the beginning of the trip gives me a lot more confidence that I might be able to do this!

Anyone here that has done this trip, in a sailboat similar to mine, how much did you budget for fuel and did you stay within that budget? I'm not sure where else to go for realistic numbers.

Again, thank you all for your input! So helpful!
Old 23-11-2016, 14:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaG01 View Post
Capt Phil, thank you so much for your reply and suggestions. I have been leaning more an more toward this option, mainly, for experience on my boat. Being new to all of this makes me nervous about making the wrong decision, but very excited to start this journey. I have been browsing this forum and it looks as though there is a place I can post regarding looking for a skipper. Do you have any other suggestions on where I might be able to find a reliable and qualified person for the job?

Again, thank you so much for the encouragement!
You seem like a bright, intelligent lady, Alisa... I ran my own delivery business from San Diego for several years delivering vessels from Alaska to Panama and many points in between on the Mexican and Costa Rican coast.
One of the main sources for repeat deliveries for me was yacht brokers.
As a further suggestion, I would contact several reputable brokers in the St Pete or Fort Lauderdale area and request a list of licensed, experienced skippers who have made deliveries on your type of vessel before. No sense in hiring a Capt who has only experience on power boats.
Try to find one with whom you are compatible, comfortable and has the requisite experience delivering a similar size and equipped vessel that you now own. You may have to interview (by skype if out of the area) a few. Most of the folks in the business when I was, were of good character and very competent. That was several years ago but I'm sure little has changed. I have been retired for some time so cannot recommend anyone myself at this point.
Good luck to you and your daughter... you are going to enjoy living aboard, I'm sure. Cheers, Phil
Old 23-11-2016, 14:30   #13

Thanks again, Capt Phil! The thought of contacting a broker hadn't even crossed my mind. Great suggestion; I will definitely make some phone calls.
Old 23-11-2016, 15:19   #14

Hi, Alisa... By contacting brokers in the area you will probably be keeping your boat, you will most likely get local deliver skippers and will not have to pay their return fare to where ever they come from.
Get your moorage squared away first so you have a spot to put her in. Make certain that you have water on your dock, pump out facilities nearby and power to your slip as well.
Constantly running a generator or hauling water down a dock gets old fast.
Make certain your vessel's insurance is acceptable to the marina, usually they only require 3rd party liability.
Ask to see your skippers license... should be at least 100 ton USCG masters as well as ask for references from prior clients.
Insure that you have mooring lines, fenders for where you may stop on the trip down as well as when you arrive.
PM me if you want to discuss private stuff... cheers, Phil
Old 24-11-2016, 19:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaG01 View Post
Valhalla360, thank you for the information. I'm feeling much more up to this idea with every response from this forum!

Cottontop, great point, and thank you for the reply! Knowing I would not be actually sailing, but driving it, for at least a good portion of the beginning of the trip gives me a lot more confidence that I might be able to do this!

Anyone here that has done this trip, in a sailboat similar to mine, how much did you budget for fuel and did you stay within that budget? I'm not sure where else to go for realistic numbers.

Again, thank you all for your input! So helpful!
We've done this run in a 34' Gemini.

We figured about 6mpg on the trip plus $1.25/ft per night for marinas along the way. Plan on 50 miles per day tops if you are trying to push hard. There are some places to anchor but not a lot and given the time of year, the shore power to run an electric heater will come in handy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: