Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2016, 20:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Boat Transportation

One of the Mississippi barge companies may do deliveries. You could find a captain to meet the boat in NO and sail/motor the rest of the way. When I lived on the Ohio R., I often saw boats on barges. Usually one barge with a nest of boats in a raft of a dozen or so other barges.

Old 25-11-2016, 21:02   #17

Boat: Liberty, Pied Piper, 28'

I have had fair quotes from both Interstate Haulers - Boat Transport Services and Much More! and Smitty Smitty's Haulin

I decided to ship the boat by sea so did not use them, but they did have good references.

Best of luck

Old 07-12-2016, 07:58   #18

Not sure where this post belongs BUT, as transportation will be involved, please help!

Have an under 25 foot boat for sale. Got an inquiry from South America who says he will export the boat to his country. This seems unreasonable to me and I'm concerned there is a scam. IF this is a legit offer, how would you handle payment and how do I avoid being scammed? Have bought and sold locally, but nothing long distance like this....
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Not sure where this post belongs BUT, as transportation will be involved, please help!

Have an under 25 foot boat for sale. Got an inquiry from South America who says he will export the boat to his country. This seems unreasonable to me and I'm concerned there is a scam. IF this is a legit offer, how would you handle payment and how do I avoid being scammed? Have bought and sold locally, but nothing long distance like this....
If this is a scam, and I am betting 90% odds it is, the way they typically work is the "buyer" sends you a cashiers check for the purchase plus the shipping cost, then asks you to send the extra amount by Western Union to his "shipper". Then turns out the check is a forgery and you are out the money you sent when the bank comes back a week or so later to cancel.

If you want to give it a try, have the buyer send certified funds by western union or whatever. If the buyer sends a cashiers check take it in person to your bank and have them certify that it is good. I would make them put it in writing. Don't just deposit or cash the check as some clerk will probably clear it until it bounces then the bank comes after you for the money AND bounced check fees and may cancel your account (happened to my mother-in-law).

Then once you have cash in hand AND confirmation from the bank that all is 100% good then allow the buyer to arrange pickup and shipping at his expense. Do not "help" with this in any way.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:25   #20

Thanks, Skipmac! I have requested that whomever he sends to take delivery bring cash. We'll see if that dampens the "offer".....
Old 07-12-2016, 10:06   #21

Just get your boat and take it down river to Mobile,Alabama & then intracoastal to Florida. I've done it 3 times... Much more expensive$ to put on semi truck & pack & unpack. Call Green turtle bay at Kentucky lake or Kentucky dam marina for someone to take it or you go with them. --Say @ 4 miles an hour & 600 miles to Mobile,Al ==150 hours--at 8 hours a day==@20 days. Then the trip to St Petersburg. The wind & waves get rough in January down here,Florida. A delivery captain will do whole trip for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: