Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 06:09   #1
Registered User
 
MrReedatsea's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Indiana
Boat: 1989 O'Day 322
Posts: 63
boat molds

A friend's 80 year-old father has a lot of stuff, including the molds for the Victoria 18' & 26' sailboats. I found images on line and they are nice looking vessels. She wonders if they have any value at all. Thoughts?
__________________

__________________
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:17   #2
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,045
Re: boat molds

I liken this sort of thing to being like trying to sell a parachute, the trick is finding someone who wants it, then it has value.

I was at Sun-N-Fun a few years ago, it's the second biggest fly-in, behind Oshkosh.
They were Auctioning off the Type Certificate for the Lake Amphibian, a bunch of us showed up to see how much it would go for. There wasn't a single bid, no one even threw out a $1,000 bid.
Apparently no one there wanted it.
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:40   #3
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I liken this sort of thing to being like trying to sell a parachute, the trick is finding someone who wants it, then it has value.

I was at Sun-N-Fun a few years ago, it's the second biggest fly-in, behind Oshkosh.
They were Auctioning off the Type Certificate for the Lake Amphibian, a bunch of us showed up to see how much it would go for. There wasn't a single bid, no one even threw out a $1,000 bid.
Apparently no one there wanted it.
Is this like a "license to manufacture" ?
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:56   #4
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,045
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Is this like a "license to manufacture" ?

No, just you own the design, (Type data) for an airworthy aircraft, to manufacture is a whole nuther animal. That word "airworthy" is a BIG word, with many meanings
this is close to a decent explaination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_certificate


Back to his molds, They do have value, I believe, trick though is finding someone who will pay for them.

My Father in Law designed boats and worked for Hatteras, Century and several others years ago. He said that "Pop" boats were very common.
Someone would make a very successful, good boat. Others would buy one and "pop" a mold off of it and very soon be selling what looked to be the same boat, at least hull wise.
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:36   #5
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 213
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReedatsea View Post
A friend's 80 year-old father has a lot of stuff, including the molds for the Victoria 18' & 26' sailboats. I found images on line and they are nice looking vessels. She wonders if they have any value at all. Thoughts?
MrReed, are these molds located at the old factory in DeBary, Florida?
__________________
OutOfControl
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:39   #6
Registered User
 
MrReedatsea's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Indiana
Boat: 1989 O'Day 322
Posts: 63
Re: boat molds

Not 100% sure. I do know they are located in Florida.
__________________
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:20   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, just you own the design, (Type data) for an airworthy aircraft, to manufacture is a whole nuther animal. That word "airworthy" is a BIG word, with many meanings
this is close to a decent explaination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_certificate


Back to his molds, They do have value, I believe, trick though is finding someone who will pay for them.

My Father in Law designed boats and worked for Hatteras, Century and several others years ago. He said that "Pop" boats were very common.
Someone would make a very successful, good boat. Others would buy one and "pop" a mold off of it and very soon be selling what looked to be the same boat, at least hull wise.
+2
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25   #8
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, just you own the design, (Type data) for an airworthy aircraft, to manufacture is a whole nuther animal. That word "airworthy" is a BIG word, with many meanings
this is close to a decent explaination
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_certificate


Back to his molds, They do have value, I believe, trick though is finding someone who will pay for them.

My Father in Law designed boats and worked for Hatteras, Century and several others years ago. He said that "Pop" boats were very common.
Someone would make a very successful, good boat. Others would buy one and "pop" a mold off of it and very soon be selling what looked to be the same boat, at least hull wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+2
If nobody has taken the name yet... I'm putting dibs on line of boats called the weasel....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:37   #9
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 213
Re: boat molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
If nobody has taken the name yet... I'm putting dibs on line of boats called the weasel....
I saw what you did there.
__________________

__________________
OutOfControl
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mold

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seacraft selling Dana 24 molds & patterns $10k terminalcitygrl Monohull Sailboats 3 19-01-2014 10:56
For Sale: Dinghy-building molds & tooling Benz Classifieds Archive 0 19-02-2011 11:57
Ingrid 38 Molds Free pdxsailordiver Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 02-12-2010 08:37
Ingrid 38 Molds to Be Destroyed in Seven Days ! Tim_H Monohull Sailboats 2 07-11-2010 16:34
Poncin Molds Giveaway GordMay Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 01-03-2007 02:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.