Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 03:50   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Blow Hards

It seems that no matter where you sail or dock you boat, you eventually run into someone that can only be described as a "Blow Hard"...someone that wants you to know he/she is the smartest individual on the dock, in the yacht club or even the world. Typically this individual will interject their option when it isn't requested. And no matter how hard you try, you just can't get it through their thick skull that you aren't interested in hearing their view on every subject.

Does anyone have a good "Blow Hard" story that they want to get off their chest? I know I do!
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 05:35   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Blow Hards

And you're waiting for?.............
Old 24-10-2015, 05:53   #3

They tend to congregate around things that float and fly.

I've learned that the more someone talks, the less he's done.

As for stories, sorry, but hearing them the first time was enough.

I am a polite person.. But as soon as the B$ starts to flow just walk away.

If they ask where you are going, perfect.

Higher ground.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:09   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I think I know one ...

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:53   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Pretty well all social gatherings of human beings reflect the incredible diversity of the human race. Some folks are extrovert and will fairly aggressively contribute opinions on every subject. Some are introvert and getting an opinion on any subject from them is like herding cats. The important thing is that we remain inclusive and tolerate each others little character foibles?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 07:01   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Seems like this research has some useful parallels to the blow hards.

Utah researcher: The louder the howler monkey, the smaller its testicles | The Salt Lake Tribune
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 07:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We notice that there seems to be a sexist correlation to behavior of the most common "blow hards" we encounter. The ones that we meet are often working at marina docks and thinking of themselves as helpful. They shout out instructions telling us what lines to use, what speed to approach, when to engage reverse gear and how to turn the wheel at the helm.

We have our own plan which often includes Nancie at the helm and me dealing with the lines and pilings. We are not accustomed to yelling out commands and find these people on the dock annoying and often with little knowledge of how our boat behaves. I try to avoid handing them a line because they will almost always respond by pulling on it as hard as possible, snubbing it on a cleat and jerking our boat out of position. I even passed an unattached line to one blow hard once just so he would have a pacifier to hold!

The sexist factor seems to be related to Nancie at the helm. The guy on the dock will call out commands to her, but often not say a word to me.

Now, I must admit that we like help on the dock and many are very helpful without imposing their loud commands.
Old 24-10-2015, 07:51   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I saw the howler monkey research. Connecting it to this discussion was priceless!!

OK, blowhard story: I'm hanging out at a town dock in Maine, catching lines and chatting with folks coming and going. Heading directly toward the face dock at 6-7 knots is a gleaming 45-50 foot sailboat. Crew member on the bow making lines ready, another setting the fenders. Skipper at the helm barking orders in a rather nasty tone.

A couple of hundred feet from the dock, the skipper (I won't call him Captain) leaves the helm - still in gear - to go up the rail and berate a crew member for getting his monogrammed fender covers wet. He barely gets back in time to swing around without hitting the dock.

Now the orders (and oaths) are flying fast and furious. The crew member on the bow manages to get her line over to me. Holding the bitter end, I decide it would be best to wait for instructions, rather than assume anything and face the wrath of this skipper.

I don't really recall how far along I'd got in making up the line before it was my turn on the receiving end of the verbal abuse. I dropped the line and silently walked back to my boat, where I didn't have a line-of-sight to the rest of the festivities.

I could, however, see the parking lot, and the cab that appeared about 20 minutes later to take away the two crew members. I can only guess as to why.

I've never looked at monogrammed fender covers the same way since that day.

There's actually more to that story, involving a discussion the skipper and I had later over the correct way I should secure my lines. Well, maybe discussion is not the right word in that it implies two-way communication. Suffice it to say I finally had to raise my voice to his level to remind him that it's my boat, my lines, and I'll be tying them my way.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 07:57   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

We were coming out the "Golden Gate" in the outbound lane, I pointed to a distant inbound freighter and said "As soon as he's past we can tack behind him".
"Oh no, says he, we gotta tack right away and pass in front" And he repeated it several times.
Absolutely not, says I, he's doing 20 knots at least, and will be here PDQ. As the freighter whizzed by he says "Well, I guess that's why your the Captain." Didn't stop him from offering his very bad opinions the rest of the trip.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:28   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Apart from me, as I will always offer an opinion and never let subject knowledge get in the way of a heated debate...

I find the blow hards more easy to find on the forums... and they all change when they actually buy a boat! LOL

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 09:19   #11

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Apart from me, as I will always offer an opinion and never let subject knowledge get in the way of a heated debate...

I find the blow hards more easy to find on the forums... and they all change when they actually buy a boat! LOL

Mark
Not all of them. Scoobert's still blowing hard over on SN as Union Pacific.

The skipper and crew on my little tub are always disagreeing and yelling, it's embarrassing sometimes. Mostly cause I solo.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I try to avoid handing them a line because they will almost always respond by pulling on it as hard as possible, snubbing it on a cleat and jerking our boat out of position. I even passed an unattached line to one blow hard once just so he would have a pacifier to hold!
I remember you posting this some time ago and thought, and still think of it, as very clever.

Only downside is they'd walk away with the line!

I have some really scuzzy ones if you need 'em.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 09:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
goat, so, you noticed, too? Hmm, he'd been asking about batteries last week. And, heck, I thought he KNEW IT ALL!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 09:34   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

The skipper and crew on my little tub are always disagreeing and yelling, it's embarrassing sometimes. Mostly cause I solo.

goat
He is actually learning a little humility

Battery problems do that lol.

I agree with you about sailing solo. I could never sail with me, let alone anyone else.

I could take on a luscious girl "crew" ( ) but she would have to be comatose to put up with my ****
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 13:02   #15

Boat: Catalina 320

There does seem to be a lot of experts who are less then a year into their first boat.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote