Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 08:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Blog or DotCom?

I will be buying a new boat soon and as always, thinking about documenting it, us and the cruise. I always say I am going to do it, but I never do. The difference this time is I will be semi retired and bored and so I just may find the time.
Anyway, I'm leaning toward a dotcom and I notice most use a blogspot. Other than the cost of a web host and the domain name, which I dont mind paying for, why would you select one over the other?

Thanks in advance
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 08:25   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Blog or DotCom?

Tony, I suspect a lot of folks use a blog because it is free, supported by the advertising on the host. And you have little control over anything but that's part of free and simple.

Buy a domain name and hosting, and you can do what you please, sell advertising if you please, even host your own blog if you please. A blog is just one more web page.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 08:28   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Hi Tony,

I had the same dilema and in fact Sandy started one with Blogger, but I found it very restrictive because I wanted to set it up so we could have easy buttons to click for different subjects.
I finally found www.weebly.com and have been pleased with all the comments back on professionalism etc.
It's a real hoot because I'm an IT dinosaur! Their system is just so easy to put together once you get your head into it and just follow the step by step examples... and it's free too!
Take a look at our site below and see if it's what you have in mind.

Good luck.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 09:10   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I have lots of web sites (dot coms) and I like the freedom that I have creating my own websites rather than being compressed into a blogspot mold.

On the other hand, it is easy to use the blogspot sites, and unless you want to do unusual things with the website, you might be better off using the blog software. The blogspot sites look professional.

I still use Front Page 2000 for all of my websites. You don't need to know anything about CSS -Cascading Style Sheets- to make Front Page 2000 websites. Dreamweaver would be more work for me than I presently want to do.

It comes down to how much work you want to do, whether you enjoy designing things, how technical you want to be, the look you want to achieve, and the how much you want to spend.

I created the Positive Thinking Network with over 200 websites using Front Page 2000. It works for me and keeps me in my comfort zone. Check out the Positive Thinking Network and you will see what can be accomplished with simple designs using Front Page 2000. POSITIVE THINKING NETWORK - JOIN THE POSITIVE THINKING NETWORK AND BE PART OF SOMETHING GREAT - DAVID J. ABBOTT M.D.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 09:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got both.

Blog: VALISblog

For me, I like the website for things that aren't so dynamic: photo albums, technical info, etc. The advantage is that I have full control over how it all goes together. The disadvantage is that I have to edit the website. There are more modern "content managers" such as Drupal, that can make this easier, but I've not spent the time to learn how to use these newer tools. Another disadvantage is that I have to pay for website hosting, my domain name, etc. This can be pretty inexpensive though. I can't easily edit the website unless I've got a high-speed internet connection.

I use the blog for "journal" type content, and usually add entries via email. It is easy to post blog entries while at sea (I use Iridium satphone email, or SSB Sailmail). My ISP provides free a blogging package (WordPress), which is extremely flexible. Another option is to use someone else's advertising-supported blog site.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 10:02   #6

Blogspot is awful. AWFUL. If you do sign up for hosted blog software get wordpress. They're open source and standardized. The most used. If you want to migrate off your hosted blog later they make it easy.

You can sign up for a free wordpress.com blog and if you like it/use it, you can register a dotcom domain to it so that it appears to be a normal website.

Wordpress can do almost anything. CNN uses wordpress as their backend.
Old 27-05-2012, 14:02   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

My vote is a dot.com.

and for Google Sites (as the site builder and host) - free and no google ads! - can add own WWW.name, but I haven't yet.

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.com/seadog/

There are better Skins (basic layout / colour scheme) - just haven't got around to fiddling around with that. Overall pretty easy to use, price of that is not a squillion options - but the good thing about that (for an occassional user) is not a squillion things to forget!

BTW that website was written over 5 years, originally was on another free website hoster but I just fanicied giving Google sites a go - and no Google ads! For me the big benefit of a website over a blog is that it doesn't go out of date from laziness! (some years I make no changes!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 14:14   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Using a thing like blogspot blogger frees you from having to know things like html css ftp and other such likes - all tools are already built into many blogging platforms, you just add the content and that's it.

There are services that let you achieve similar things with templates on the website road, but this is not very good if yo plan to add new content on a pretty regular basis.

In any case, it takes 5 minutes to set up a blogging site and then you can play around and see if you like it. You can also set up a free website and see whether this way of managing you content is what you might prefer.

Go for a test-ride with both methods and see which fits your style and needs. Cost zero satisfaction 100%.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 14:42   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

a. I had a dot.com once but chose Blogger instead for my boat; it's easier.

b. If you know some HTML (or can learn) you can sell stuff and link and do some other fun stuff on Blogger. I do.
Old 27-05-2012, 15:09   #10

Boat: Tartan 30

It might not be obvious to some people, but you can have your own domain name (whatever.com) hosted on a blogsite like blogspot, wordpress, tumblr, posterous, etc... and still get the ease-of-use and maintenance free benefits of a the free website.

I say keep it simple, focus on the content. If you gotta worry about website junk all the time, the content can often take a back seat. It's pretty nice to just post a pic from your phone, or tweet, or text a message and have it show up on your website. Or publish a video to youtube and your blog, and a post, all at the same time, via email from your phone, on the boat, while sailing.... All the hosted websites already have that type of functionality built in.
Old 27-05-2012, 17:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I appreciate all of the advice. I have built websites before so they are not new to me. I have used WebStudio 4.0. Almost everything is drag and drop and you can import just about any format. They have an incredible forum with very dedicated members.
Anyway, I asked the question because I have no idea what blog spots really are. I rarely ever go to them unless recomended by a close family member or friend. And now is a good time to find out. Thanks, and keep those cards and letters coming.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 21:39   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Blogspot is awful. AWFUL. If you do sign up for hosted blog software get wordpress. They're open source and standardized. The most used. If you want to migrate off your hosted blog later they make it easy.

You can sign up for a free wordpress.com blog and if you like it/use it, you can register a dotcom domain to it so that it appears to be a normal website.

Wordpress can do almost anything. CNN uses wordpress as their backend.
I struggle with it too. I tend to be a low tech guy and need CLEAR instructions how to create these pages. After 20 minutes of so of frustration, I give up. I would love to have a website but just find the whole thing a time consuming hassle...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 22:53   #13

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tony, I suspect a lot of folks use a blog because it is free, supported by the advertising on the host. And you have little control over anything but that's part of free and simple.

Buy a domain name and hosting, and you can do what you please, sell advertising if you please, even host your own blog if you please. A blog is just one more web page.
I switched from domain name site to Blogspot in early 2009. There is no advertising.

S/V BeBe

Advantage is that I can update via SSB when on long passages; text only, of course.

All kinds of gadgets and widgets you can add to customize however you like. Free is also nice, but the convenience and ease of use is the main reason I prefer the blogspot.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 17:40   #14

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I used to have my own web site, ran it for about 4 years before I gave up on it. Currently I use Wordpress for my blog, its simple to use, and free. It doesn't have any fancy doodads on it but then I don't want them anyway. My blog is simply an on line journal so others can see how I am making out on my refit. If my blog helps others with a problem or helps them make up their minds as to whether they can do a job themselves then it is doing what I want it to do. I was looking at Target9000s' blog when I started my refit and saw what they were doing so followed in their footsteps.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:02   #15

I'm a techie , geeky guy, and my natural inclination would be to do the standard standalone website.

However, as mentioned above, a good blog is all about content, and so I decided to try out blogger, instead of all the techie stuff. In a very short amount of time I had a domain name registered, and pointing to my new blog.

With what used to be hard (and fun) all done with a few clicks, I now find myself only having to add content. Which, I've realized I kind of suck at...
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote