Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 07:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

I have noticed in the past few years many people who say they have Captains Licenses really do not.

In most cases they have taken a Captains Training Class and passed an approved USCG Exam.
But they did not finish the process and submit an application to the USCG.

If you go on a paid charter or pay someone to move your boat they must have a USCG License not just a certificate from a training school.

Any Captain for hire must have an official USCG issued Merchant Mariner Credentials with a serial number with him when he is working.
It looks like a passport and has your photo, date of birth, height, MMC Reference Number, date of issue and expiration date. (see image below)

Sorry for the rant but last month I was at a Yacht Club in Connecticut and one of the members who is a police officer in a marine unit told me he was a licences USCG Captain.
I showed him my MMC and he said he did not have an MMC but he did have a certificate from a training school saying he passed the test.
He was not happy because he was planning on retiring soon and wanted to start a charter fishing business.

FYI you need to do the following to get your official USCG License (MMC)
1. Complete a USCG approved exam.
2. Get a TWIC Card (Transportation Workers Identification card)
This is a background check.
3. Get a complete medical exam and drug test from a USCG approved Clinic.
4. 3 Character References
5. Notarized Copy of the Merchant Mariners Oath
6. Proof that you have taken an approved First Aide / CPR course
7. Copy of your drivers license
8. Proof that you have the correct number of days for the license you are trying to get.
This is the Sea Service form
9. A completed USCG application form and a check for $145

If everything is in order you will get your MMC in about 2 months.

Image of an MMC (not mine)

Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 08:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Add to that asking how do they comply with ongoing drug testing requirements. I a part of a drug testing consortium. As such I am “on call” for random testing.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 09:37   #3

For people looking to hire a (real!) Captain the USCG has a database you can look up the status of their license.

USCG Credential Verification

Of course if they can't give you a license number, you know the answer already...

For anyone wanting to get a license, I would add the following to the good advice above:

Go through a GOOD school. One who will help you with the application process after you pass the test. Any school that would let their students think there were licensed right after passing the test is coming very close to committing fraud. Check with the USCG and be SURE the school is up to date on their license and inspections.

Ask the school about their license rate. Any school can rig it so the test pass rate is very close to 100%, but a significant fraction of students will not complete the license application, so if they tell you 100% of their students are licensed, you KNOW they are lying.

Before they take your money they should be willing to sit down with you and review your sea time to be sure it will support the license that you want to get. This is a complex, and changing, set of rules. If they will not or can not do this, go elsewhere.

The application forms are complex and in many cases the answers needed are not at all clear. If your paper work is in good shape it takes only about 2 weeks for the final review. If there is ANYTHING wrong, it gets sent back to you for correction. Having help in a preliminary review of the paperwork by the school staff who have seen a lot of them is VERY helpful.

It also REALLY helps if the Doctor who is completing the medical form has done it before. Any issue with that and it gets sent back to you.

You CAN go through the process on your own, taking the test at a USCG test center and completing the applications trying to follow the instructions. But it will be much harder than you think. The school is worth it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:01   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I believe most other countries' requirements are even more stringent, and may be required just to skipper your own boat, never mind chartering.

But then plenty of more convenient flags are available if you're international.

For myself I prefer the stringency.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

I yam wot I yam..
And it sez so on my site..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post

If you go on a paid charter or pay someone to move your boat they must have a USCG License not just a certificate from a training school.
Not true. As long as you are not taking passengers for hire, there is no legal requirement to have a Captain's License to deliver a boat.

Of course, without a license, you would be unlikely to get hired, and perhaps the boat owner's insurance company would refuse to provide coverage, but as far as the USCG is concerned there is no violation of the law.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDorado View Post
Not true. As long as you are not taking passengers for hire, there is no legal requirement to have a Captain's License to deliver a boat.

Of course, without a license, you would be unlikely to get hired, and perhaps the boat owner's insurance company would refuse to provide coverage, but as far as the USCG is concerned there is no violation of the law.
In the Land of the Free.. that may be..
Out here amongst the Oppressed things are more relaxed..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-12-2018, 13:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In the Land of the Free.. that may be..
Out here amongst the Oppressed things are more relaxed..
I have been following your career and adventures for years. I'd hire you any day, any sea, any boat, credentials be damned.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 14:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheers mate..

Old 29-12-2018, 20:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I yam wot I yam..
And it sez so on my site..
Intended no disrespect sir. I would mate for you any day.

As you noted, this is an issue with some of the “colonists”.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 20:30   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Intended no disrespect sir. I would mate for you any day.
Careful with the wording, I would not mate with that guy.
Old 29-12-2018, 20:48   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDorado View Post

Not quite accurate, that. Very few ships carry pasengers, but Capt, mates, and engineers must have licenses. And Radio Officer, if carried. Oilfield supply boats do not normally carry passengers, but Capt, mate, and engineer must have licenses. Fishing vessels over 200 tons do not carry passengers but licenses are required. Towing vessels over I think 26 feet are operated only by somebody with a license. Yacht deliveries? Probably the CG could care less, but I bet the insurance companies care, at least a little. I won't step out on a limb and say it is a legal or technical requirement, but simple lack of paying passengers does not make it okay to operate the vessel for pay, without the appropriate licenses held by the appropriate people or person.
Old 29-12-2018, 20:56   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

I have learn't that those that call themselves captain are in fact extremely skilled and knowledgeable, the font of all knowledge.
Just ask them!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 00:53   #14
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Not quite accurate, that. Very few ships carry pasengers, but Capt, mates, and engineers must have licenses. And Radio Officer, if carried. Oilfield supply boats do not normally carry passengers, but Capt, mate, and engineer must have licenses. Fishing vessels over 200 tons do not carry passengers but licenses are required. Towing vessels over I think 26 feet are operated only by somebody with a license. Yacht deliveries? Probably the CG could care less, but I bet the insurance companies care, at least a little. I won't step out on a limb and say it is a legal or technical requirement, but simple lack of paying passengers does not make it okay to operate the vessel for pay, without the appropriate licenses held by the appropriate people or person.
He didn't say ship, he said deliver a boat. And he's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Careful with the wording, I would not mate with that guy.
Eeeek! I'd hire the guy, but that's as far as it goes! And I certainly wouldn't leave any rum laying around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I have learn't that those that call themselves captain are in fact extremely skilled and knowledgeable, the font of all knowledge.
Just ask them!
Indeed
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 03:25   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

None taken Snore..
Should be an inquiry coming your way.. You may not thank me..
As to the rum issue.. Watch your Tanquerry as well.
Happy New Year guys.

Tags
captain, license