Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2018, 10:00   #16

Boat: Oday 25
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Please note that no matter the CG license, the authorities never actually see the applicant handle a vessel. Everything is done on paper, so it is possible that the holder of a CG license is perfectly knowlegable about everything, but a complete klutz in boat handling.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 10:07   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
Please note that no matter the CG license, the authorities never actually see the applicant handle a vessel. Everything is done on paper, so it is possible that the holder of a CG license is perfectly knowlegable about everything, but a complete klutz in boat handling.
True, no practical test, only paper exam. That being said, 720 days of Sea Time is required for a USCG Captains License, (4 hours per day) and if somebody can not handle a boat after almost 3000 hours of operating a boat, they should find a different hobby, or occupation.
That being said, here in Fort Lauderdale there is a school for Yacht Master tickets and those guys have to take a test on 50’ Twin engine diesel boat.
Some guys fail the first time. No idea how many hours or days are required for that ticket.
Old 30-12-2018, 10:17   #18

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In the Land of the Free.. that may be..
Out here amongst the Oppressed things are more relaxed..
That was the funniest thing I have read on the Forum . I have been following the “hit by a small boat “ post . Watching the un oppressed people tie then selves in knots is also fun .
Happy New year to you
Old 30-12-2018, 10:26   #19

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
That was the case with the guy we bought our boat from 10 years ago. He had his 100 ton master's license and much time in the Navy, but when it came to handling a 38' sailboat and docking it, he was a basket case. When we did the sea trial, he was really stressing out about getting the boat into the slip for the TravelLift, so I had to do it for him.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 10:30   #20

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Interesting....that pocket sized merchant marine credential....and some of the tales of impersonating a U.S.C.G Licensed Capt.

I had gone thru a U.S.C.G Capt. Lic prepartory school many , many decades ago.
After completing the course, which I loved and was soaking up every word, We did take a practice test to make sure we were up to speed on all of the different required sections. ( that is all that test at the prep school was for )

Then , I went thru all of the above mentioned and outlined requirements, and turned all that info into the U.S.C.G office in Los Angeles Harbor.

I took and passed the USCG xam, that was a day and half. I did all of the several different sections on one day, and returned on the next day to take the Navigation section.

I passed , and received my certificate on the spot in the U.S.C.G exam Office..

Since then, I had to renew the certification and license every five years. Last was the 5th issue.

It was actually was on my 5th issue, when my 100 ton was bumped up to 500 tons near coastal. It was an addendum on the reverse side of the 100 ton certificate. I did not request that added tonnage, the USCG just advanced it .

And, yes there is a cert. number on the front of the certificate, But, I never received any wallet sized merchant marine officer picture I.D. That Probably did not exist at that time. I wish it would have since it would make life easier to ward of the bogus liars and warf rats. Everyone of our skippers and instructors had their USCG 100 ton licenses , a copy, on file in our office. Period.

My 5th issue expired in Feb of 2008. And , I had retired from professionally sailing, and flying as well. Actually moved to Kauai Island, and retired from sailing for hire, but still was bare boating in Australia, Tahiti, The BVI, and Ireland. No problems with my qualifications.

When we sail with a bare boat company, i send them my total Lic. history, and copies of my licenses over the years Total back ground as an instructor, charter capt,, and delivery skipper.

As to the prep school that told the examamnee that he had passed their test and was certified as a U.S.C.G captain. Pure falsehood and fraud.

He should ntact the U.S.C.G and advise them of the bogus nonsense put out there by that prep school .

I had a fellow, come up to me at the Newport Sailing Club dock , to apply for our Charter Department and to work as an instructor . His scam was , that he did take the USCG prep class, and then went to the USCG and took and passed the exam.

But, says he, they did not give him his certificate, they were too busy and going to mail it to him.

Lies. After you pass all of the sections, the commander in charge signs it, and it is presented ( handed ) to you in person at that time.

Later issues, may have been different, as the requirements were changing between 5 yr issues .

I know there is ASA and the RYA , but ASA does not qualify a skipper to work as a U.S.C.G lic capt , or for compensation or hire .

Yes, The USCG lic, does take a long time to acquire those 720 days of documented time, and to attend the prep course, and submit all of the other requirements, and the testing, but, if the applicant has followed the procedures, they should have the experience, knowledge and seamanship to sit for that exam, and be a professional.
And keep on learning, we never will know it all .

The person who said that he did not have the wallet size credential, just the certificate, that wallet license may have come into effect after he took the exam and received a certificate. In 30 years of having a USCG license, I never saw one of those wallets, and actually did not know the wallet credential even existed until I read this post.

Time goes on and things change. Actually, for the better in this case.

I know it must have been well after I had received my fifth issue. Again, I really like that new program .

Just some FYI, for those going to the USCG to sit for the exam. Heads up !

My scheduled day for the exam had come, I was about 20 minutes early. Actually, to this day, I am 15 minutes early for what ever I do. Must come from relieving the previous watch 15 minutes early from my Naval Air service.

I show up, dressed nice, long pants, nice shirt and sweater , polished shoes, shaved,and groomed, with all of my prepared and proper paper work.

I was standing in line, next to go, when a fellow comes barging in, walks in front of me up to the USCG Lt. This applicant, was unshaven, not showered , hair not combed, sporting dirty pants and wrinkled shirt.

Listen folks, the USCG is a military operation, and they like military bearing.

The Lt. takes this guys papers, and looks the over , and says YOU ARE LATE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT. Here is your paper work, call the office and resked you exam for another day and another time. This fellow leaves.

The Lt. motions me up, looks at me and my super pile of paperwork, looks me over,
quick inspection, and says....YOU WANT TO GO FOR YOUR 100 TON ?.

" Yes, sir, I would "

And the rest is history.

So, when those aspiring to sit for the USCG exam, are heading up there, might want to factor in MILITARY BEARING, AND BE ON TIME OR EARLY.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 11:56   #21

Quote:
. It was actually was on my 5th issue, when my 100 ton was bumped up to 500 tons near coastal. It was an addendum on the reverse side of the 100 ton certificate. I did not request that added tonnage, the USCG just advanced it .
Hmm, interesting..
I am on the 4th issue, near Coastal, sail and towning endorsement.
Never heard of anybody getting a “free upgrade like that..?
Would be a nice bonus for my next renewal.

Quote:
So, when those aspiring to sit for the USCG exam, are heading up there, might want to factor in MILITARY BEARING, AND BE ON TIME OR EARLY.
Concur: I am ex-military and know how to do a tie and say Yes Sir and No Sir..
Old 30-12-2018, 12:18   #22

How about someone that had a license but doesn't anymore? I had a master 1600gt oceans that the USCG took away after I had heart surgery and a minor stroke. I've seen a lot of folks that have a license that in truth had no business running a boat and many without that are great. A license just means you can pass a multiple choice exam not actually operate a boat safely.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 12:47   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Thank you all for adding some very good advice to this thread.

Some points.
The people who I have talked too who say they have a Captains License but do not are mostly just misinformed and not doing something evil.

In the case of being a delivery boat Captain, you do not need to have a USCG License.
The only issue would be if they say they have the License but do not.

Most Training Companies do the official USCG Test on the last day.
So you do not need to go to the USCG for the test.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 13:23   #24

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

There are good points that the cert doesnt make a person a good captain but it is the base requirement for running a boat for renumeration here in the states.
I believe that people that claim to have a license and actually do not are confusing state compentency certs for USCG Mercant Marine cert.

Fyi, the TWIX renewal is optional now....unless your operating in ports you can let that go....it was a PIA to renew.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 13:51   #25

Boat: Oday 25

For a good boat handler, try the guy who only needs a limited masters, your local launch operator. I did this for about 7 years part time, and you get fairly good at docking when you do it 15 or 20 times a day or night. Even when its blowing 20 against an incoming tide and you have to pick 4 older people (they move slowly) off a 27 footer dancing around in the waves and wind and you already have 16 other passengers on baord.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 15:06   #26
Marine Service Provider

Thanks to Capt. Graham for setting the record straight. Today there is no such thing as a "captain's license" issued by any US agency, I know of. If you see one it's phony. Back in the day the USCG issued a document called a US Merchant Marine Officer License. Even that did not say "Captain" anywhere on it. On the front and back it listed all of the holders rates and qualifications, like "Master" "Sail" "Power" "AB" whatever but not "Captain".

The MMC (Merchant Marine Credential) does indeed look like a passport and I call mine my Red Chinese Passport because it is almost the exact color as one.

Don't call your MMC a "license", government agencies freak out if you don't use the exact nomenclature that their regulations dictate. The FAA may threaten to bust you on a check-ride if your call your pilot "certificate" a pilot's license.

Capt. Graham could have added that you don't need the TWIC any more (so save the money) if you don't work at a secure port facility or on ships where their trade requires one. Also, if you are properly licensed, excuse me, "credentialed', and operate vessels for hire in US waters that are equipped with a VHF-FM radio you must have on your person, a Marine Radio Operator Permit issued by the FCC ($135 for me years age but good for life). This is not the same as a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 15:07   #27

Some incorrect info on this discussion- actually quite a bit of misunderstanding.
Deck Licenses issued by the USCG are based on tonnage and specific requirements.
Engineer licenses are issued by horsepower and other specific requirements.

The discussion of licenses on commercial vessels- that is dependant on inspected, uninspected, carrying passengers, and tonnage.

On non- commercial vessels (i.e. recreational) the issue is mute until flags get involved.
The need for a license is not required unless carrying passengers for hire in the united States- although the insurance company may have other requirements. Do not confuse license with boaters safety required by states.
As far as carrying passengers for hire on non-commercial vessels- then the issue becomes entangled between vessel and passenger numbers- aka - the six pack license permits six passengers or less for hire.
Warning on illegal charters- the USCG is clamping down on the illegal charter business to the minimum fines starting at $40K and moving up. Safety gear, fire fighting, licenses, all come into play
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 16:36   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Thanks to Capt. Graham for setting the record straight. Today there is no such thing as a "captain's license" issued by any US agency, I know of. If you see one it's phony. Back in the day the USCG issued a document called a US Merchant Marine Officer License. Even that did not say "Captain" anywhere on it. On the front and back it listed all of the holders rates and qualifications, like "Master" "Sail" "Power" "AB" whatever but not "Captain".

The MMC (Merchant Marine Credential) does indeed look like a passport and I call mine my Red Chinese Passport because it is almost the exact color as one.

Don't call your MMC a "license", government agencies freak out if you don't use the exact nomenclature that their regulations dictate. The FAA may threaten to bust you on a check-ride if your call your pilot "certificate" a pilot's license.

Capt. Graham could have added that you don't need the TWIC any more (so save the money) if you don't work at a secure port facility or on ships where their trade requires one. Also, if you are properly licensed, excuse me, "credentialed', and operate vessels for hire in US waters that are equipped with a VHF-FM radio you must have on your person, a Marine Radio Operator Permit issued by the FCC ($135 for me years age but good for life). This is not the same as a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.
Some very good points, thanks.
You most likely already know this but I just want to add it for others.

When you get your MMC for the first time you must get a TWIC card.
When you renewed it every 5 years you do not, unless you will be working at a secure port facility.

I normally recommend people get the TWIC card because it is a background check and if you want to help someone who you do not know move their boat it makes the customer feel good.
The cost for the TWIC is only $125.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 16:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
How about someone that had a license but doesn't anymore? I had a master 1600gt oceans that the USCG took away after I had heart surgery and a minor stroke. I've seen a lot of folks that have a license that in truth had no business running a boat and many without that are great. A license just means you can pass a multiple choice exam not actually operate a boat safely.
Wow, you should tell that to the USCG, they will get right on it.
Thanks for your insight.
Old 30-12-2018, 16:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
There are good points that the cert doesnt make a person a good captain but it is the base requirement for running a boat for renumeration here in the states.
I believe that people that claim to have a license and actually do not are confusing state compentency certs for USCG Mercant Marine cert.

Fyi, the TWIX renewal is optional now....unless your operating in ports you can let that go....it was a PIA to renew.
Renewed my TWIC 3 weeks ago.
Not a PIA: went to some civilain contract office, filled out a 5 minute form, fingerprints and photo as well as $125.
All in 20 minutes. Easy.

Tags
captain, license