Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2018, 16:51   #31
Registered User
 
Davidhoy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hollywood FL
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 895
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Frankly, I'm suspicious of anyone calling themself "Captain", unless they are in the Navy and hold that rank, or are literally the master in command of a merchant vessel underway. Anything else is just being grandiose - your actions and behavior should speak for themselves, without you having to waive your credentials in anybody's face...
__________________

__________________
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 16:57   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,743
Images: 120
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
. Don't call your MMC a "license", government agencies freak out if you don't use the exact nomenclature that their regulations dictate. The FAA may threaten to bust you on a check-ride if your call your pilot "certificate" a pilot's license.
Not sure about that:
Been flying commercialy for 37 years, never met an FAA guy who threaten to bust me because I called a ticket a license or a certificate.
Most FAA guys I met has been great and I have done numerous Check Rides, Line Checks, Ramp Checks, whatever and have tickets from 3 other nations as well, lost count of what licenses and certificates I have, but never was the nomenclature an issue.
__________________

__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 17:04   #33
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,743
Images: 120
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Frankly, I'm suspicious of anyone calling themself "Captain", unless they are in the Navy and hold that rank, or are literally the master in command of a merchant vessel underway. Anything else is just being grandiose - your actions and behavior should speak for themselves, without you having to waive your credentials in anybody's face...
Agree, never introduced myself as “Captain”, “Master”, whatever.
(Renewing my boat insurance however I specify that I have a ticket, decent discount.)
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 18:56   #34
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 151
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Agree, never introduced myself as “Captain”, “Master”, whatever.
(Renewing my boat insurance however I specify that I have a ticket, decent discount.)
Most of the time people approach me because I am wearing my Captains shirt at either a Yacht Club or bar in a boating area.
They ask me if I am a real Captain and then tell me they are also.

About 90% of the time when I ask them if they have a MMC they say they do not.
Some admit that they allowed their licenses to expire but some are surprised they they are not really a Captain.
Some want to argue and tell me that I am wrong.
When I tell them I am a USCG-Qualified Instructor and I teach 2-4 Captains Classes per year, they accept reality.

I do this in a friendly way and do not insult or make them look bad in front of others.

PS I am a full time Project Engineer just doing the Captain thing part time until I retire in 5-8 years.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 18:59   #35
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,743
Images: 120
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
. Most of the time people approach me because I am wearing my Captains shirt at either a Yacht Club or bar in a boating area.
Ha-ha, good one, funny guy.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 19:04   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dana Point, Ca.
Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Posts: 330
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

CSY,

I was surprised and had no idea as to the upgrade. I had to submit my sailing time for the last few years, and I was working for the sailing club. And a couple of other sailing clubs and brokers. Hatteras Yacht Sales was one of them.

I listed all my duties as well, plus the international sailing, plus teaching motor vessel safety at sea coursed, marine weather, signal lights and day shapes, plus basic , intermediate and advanced sailing; systems classes, and emergencies.

Also fairly long trip deliveries, Cabo to L.A. Harbor, and first mates courses on board for the spouses of the members who had passed their basic, intermediate and advanced lessons, and their check outs, that included sailing the 30 plus footers out of the slip undersail and docking undersail.

Also, motor vessel charters, and sailing vessel charters. Plus working boat shows, and actually wrote a book on sailing , and how to avoid problems that could be dangerous. Added in Sailing adventures in the Whitsunday Islands, Au (2) two week sailing vacations ( bare boat ), Tahiti (4) , Tonga (1) , Abacos , Bahamas (1) ;
BVI ( 14 ) at that time, Windward and Grenadines (1) and the French West Idies (1).

More : Ireland (2) motor vessel up the River Shannon (2) two week trips, and one Greek Island two week trip, as watch captains, not skipper on that one.

Add in many 36 years of sailing the California Coast line, Catalina, and several of the Channel Islands. Add in many years instructing on in vessels from 27 on up to 55 ft. LOA.

Add in flotila leader of up to 12 sailing vessels, California and off shore islands, and also in the BVI, Windwards and Grenadines, Tahiti, and Tonga.

When I received my 5th issue :

On the front it said issue number 5 and the serial number. Then further down

MASTER OF STEAM OR MOTOR VESSELS OF NOT MORE THAN 100 GROSS TONS UPON NEAR COASTAL WATERS " SEE REVERSE "

I turned it over, and was totally surprised to read"

" For vessels under 200GRT ( Domestic tonnage , 500 GT ( ITC TONNAGE ON DOMESTIC VOYAGES ONLY. )

Actually issued in the Port of Long Beach,

Well, There is part of the nearly 36 years or more of sailing and motor vessels, world wide.

My sea time for the 720 days, was confirmed in the computers of the Newport Sailing Club, but it took me 5 years of working and sailing for fun to attain.

Retired now, No more sailing for compensation for hire, but we are still enjoying bare boat sailing and , as mentioned , next BVI trip in May 2019, will be # 17 .

Not sure how much longer that we will be sailing, I will be 79, this may, and we are talking , maybe land trips through out the west and south west of this beautiful USA.
We both are very fit, healthy, and enegetic and very positive.

We said the same thing two years ago before our BVI TRIP # 16.

Well, prior Irma, in May, we we moored at Marina Cay, sitting in the restaurant, looking out over the water and the islands, we felt heart felt tugs, and lifted our glasses and said "WE WILL BE BACK ".

Today, I am very excited about our upcoming BVI sailing vacation, We reserved the boat about a year ago with Conch. I have produced my own personal full color up to date Cruising Guide, but it is mostly in outline forum , so I do not have to read thru paragraph after paragraph to get the information that I need.

So, there is the long version of that upgrade to 500 tons. I have no idea why, and was not consulted . Wondering perhaps they thought that I might be skippering larger vessels and just saved them the time and hassel of increasing the tonnage.

S.W.A.G ( scientific wild ____ guess ) on my part.

Hope you get yours upgraded as well.

Denny
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 19:12   #37
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,743
Images: 120
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
CSY,

I was surprised and had no idea as to the upgrade. I had to submit my sailing time for the last few years, and I was working for the sailing club. And a couple of other sailing clubs and brokers. Hatteras Yacht Sales was one of them.

I listed all my duties as well, plus the international sailing, plus teaching motor vessel safety at sea coursed, marine weather, signal lights and day shapes, plus basic , intermediate and advanced sailing; systems classes, and emergencies.

Also fairly long trip deliveries, Cabo to L.A. Harbor, and first mates courses on board for the spouses of the members who had passed their basic, intermediate and advanced lessons, and their check outs, that included sailing the 30 plus footers out of the slip undersail and docking undersail.

Also, motor vessel charters, and sailing vessel charters. Plus working boat shows, and actually wrote a book on sailing , and how to avoid problems that could be dangerous. Added in Sailing adventures in the Whitsunday Islands, Au (2) two week sailing vacations ( bare boat ), Tahiti (4) , Tonga (1) , Abacos , Bahamas (1) ;
BVI ( 14 ) at that time, Windward and Grenadines (1) and the French West Idies (1).

More : Ireland (2) motor vessel up the River Shannon (2) two week trips, and one Greek Island two week trip, as watch captains, not skipper on that one.

Add in many 36 years of sailing the California Coast line, Catalina, and several of the Channel Islands. Add in many years instructing on in vessels from 27 on up to 55 ft. LOA.

Add in flotila leader of up to 12 sailing vessels, California and off shore islands, and also in the BVI, Windwards and Grenadines, Tahiti, and Tonga.

When I received my 5th issue :

On the front it said issue number 5 and the serial number. Then further down

MASTER OF STEAM OR MOTOR VESSELS OF NOT MORE THAN 100 GROSS TONS UPON NEAR COASTAL WATERS " SEE REVERSE "

I turned it over, and was totally surprised to read"

" For vessels under 200GRT ( Domestic tonnage , 500 GT ( ITC TONNAGE ON DOMESTIC VOYAGES ONLY. )

Actually issued in the Port of Long Beach,

Well, There is part of the nearly 36 years or more of sailing and motor vessels, world wide.

My sea time for the 720 days, was confirmed in the computers of the Newport Sailing Club, but it took me 5 years of working and sailing for fun to attain.

Retired now, No more sailing for compensation for hire, but we are still enjoying bare boat sailing and , as mentioned , next BVI trip in May 2019, will be # 17 .

Not sure how much longer that we will be sailing, I will be 79, this may, and we are talking , maybe land trips through out the west and south west of this beautiful USA.
We both are very fit, healthy, and enegetic and very positive.

We said the same thing two years ago before our BVI TRIP # 16.

Well, prior Irma, in May, we we moored at Marina Cay, sitting in the restaurant, looking out over the water and the islands, we felt heart felt tugs, and lifted our glasses and said "WE WILL BE BACK ".

Today, I am very excited about our upcoming BVI sailing vacation, We reserved the boat about a year ago with Conch. I have produced my own personal full color up to date Cruising Guide, but it is mostly in outline forum , so I do not have to read thru paragraph after paragraph to get the information that I need.

So, there is the long version of that upgrade to 500 tons. I have no idea why, and was not consulted . Wondering perhaps they thought that I might be skippering larger vessels and just saved them the time and hassel of increasing the tonnage.

S.W.A.G ( scientific wild ____ guess ) on my part.

Hope you get yours upgraded as well.

Denny
Thx, good info and a rich sailing resume for sure.
Conch Charters is a good one: I know those guys and would book another charter with them anytime.
I never did all that stuff you mentioned, write books, teach sailing etc, way too lazy. My idea of a good time is to sail to the islands, drop the anchor, drink beer, jump in the water. Rinse and repeat
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 19:41   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 898
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

The US Coast Guard did away with practical (at sea) tests years ago due to the perceived liability of the Federal Government. For the same reason the FAA did away with administering flight checks for pilot certificates and the various ratings. All flight checks, even for airline pilots, are done either by airline designee examiners on the airline's payroll or independent contractor designee examiners in the case of non-airline pilots. And, they don't use airplanes any more for training. It's all done in the simulator. The first time you fly the real airplane its full of people. Many state DMV agencies contract out on-the-road testing for drivers licenses.

It's the world we live in.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 21:26   #39
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,334
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Most of the time people approach me because I am wearing my Captains shirt at either a Yacht Club or bar in a boating area.
They ask me if I am a real Captain and then tell me they are also.

About 90% of the time when I ask them if they have a MMC they say they do not.
Some admit that they allowed their licenses to expire but some are surprised they they are not really a Captain.
Some want to argue and tell me that I am wrong.
When I tell them I am a USCG-Qualified Instructor and I teach 2-4 Captains Classes per year, they accept reality.

I do this in a friendly way and do not insult or make them look bad in front of others.

PS I am a full time Project Engineer just doing the Captain thing part time until I retire in 5-8 years.
Ahh, dress to impress!
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 21:29   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,802
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Not quite accurate, that. Very few ships carry pasengers, but Capt, mates, and engineers must have licenses. And Radio Officer, if carried. Oilfield supply boats do not normally carry passengers, but Capt, mate, and engineer must have licenses. Fishing vessels over 200 tons do not carry passengers but licenses are required. Towing vessels over I think 26 feet are operated only by somebody with a license. Yacht deliveries? Probably the CG could care less, but I bet the insurance companies care, at least a little. I won't step out on a limb and say it is a legal or technical requirement, but simple lack of paying passengers does not make it okay to operate the vessel for pay, without the appropriate licenses held by the appropriate people or person.
Not legally required for yacht deliveries.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 23:12   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 8,504
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

What's a "Captain's shirt"?



And where on any US Merchant Mariner Credential does in mention the word "Captain"?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 23:23   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney
Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish
Posts: 917
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

I think I'd be wary of anyone wearing a "Captain's shirt" to a bar.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 23:32   #43
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,334
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What's a "Captain's shirt"?


I think it's a shirt with four stripes of bird **** on each shoulder that is intended to say "look at me,look at me"
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 04:17   #44
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 151
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

The public recognizes the term Captain not Master.
So, if you are in the marine industry that caters to the general public it is better to use the term Captain not Master.
Many charter boat and delivery boat companies have their Masters wear company shirts with the company Logo and the phrase Captain First Name.
It's just a form of Marketing.

So, if you are in a boating area you will see people wearing their company work shirts in a bar after work.

I do the same thing, when I am working, I wear my work shirt with the phrase "Captain Graham" on it, and after work I go out for a beer or dinner I am still wearing my work shirt.

Since it is a form of marketing I guess I am saying look at me and talk to me.

The marketing does work, I have gotten a few good contacts from wearing my Captains shirt.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 05:17   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Beware people who say they have a Captains License but do not.

I have a Masters 100 ton and work for a small tour company in the summer. Yes, the general public does think we are all captains, and I am sure when something goes wrong so do the attorneys. I had a young deck hand get his masters this past summer, his head was bigger than the boat. He was constantly telling people about his "captains" license. Here is my thoughts on the whole thing. Firstly, I think it is kind of a farce. The schools make sure you pass the exam, no one actually verifies sea time, the physicals are not much more than giving you a once over. And I am willing to bet that most never look at the colregs again after the test. As I told the deck hand, I would never disrespect a naval officer or master of a true merchant marine vessel by calling myself a captain. 100 tons means we are tour guides that drive boats. Sorry for the rant
__________________

What Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain, license

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do you need a captains license to take people out for day sailing ( for a small fee)? BAS Our Community 22 10-05-2017 06:55
This was not on the Captains License Test Dulcesuenos Fishing, Recreation & Fun 12 08-07-2012 10:53
Is this what They Mean when They Say to Taper the Hole ? off-the-grid Construction, Maintenance & Refit 11 18-05-2010 15:29
Not a US Citizen, European, I want a Captains License!! bergenser1 Meets & Greets 7 19-03-2008 03:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.