Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 10:41   #16

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Best Memory - Temperate or Tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I like my girls unwrapped,anything more than a t- shirt and they are overdressed!
that is definitely not happening other than a few days a year in northern waters,unless they are from Lappland .............
And that is very rare event indeed, not a few times a year, closer to once a decade if you don't give them a good reason to do that Been living in Lappland for 30 years..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:15   #17

Boat: Cambria 44/46

My question is 'where are you now'? Most of the time I long for where I'm not. In the summer, here in St. Petersburg I melt and yearn for winter, which isn't all that cold here. But then in winter I wish I could be setting on the dock in shorts and t-shirt instead of bundled up. I will admit I bundle up below 65 degrees.

The grass is always greener...

As far as best memories, it's always when I was with a girl, not where I was. Ah, the memories.
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:39   #18

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

The sound of thousands of pelicans dive bombing the fish at sunset in the Sea of Cortez back in 1968. And a thousand other memories.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:55   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

This is an interesting thread because I'm also a PNW cruiser, had dreams of sailing down the Pacific, and recently realized that's probably not what I want.

I think some of it comes down to how you do with hot temperatures vs cold. I've always been a cold temp person. I know people say you adapt once you've been in the tropics a month or so, but I also really really like the seasons.

My best memories center around anchorages; so for me it's all about the anchorages.

I don't know for sure but get the impression temperate areas have more / better anchorages in general than tropical areas. I'm talking 100 to 500 anchorages within a 600 nm range, with a safe anchorage every 5 to 20 nm. Protected from winds and waves, with scenic and varied surroundings. And maybe even mountains.

My best memory so far is sitting at anchor in Matilda Inlet in Clayoquot Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island BC. We were the only boat there, a light Pacific Northwest fog was setting in with a cool mist of rain, evergreens surrounded the very well protected small bay, and a family of eagles soared overhead. Hiking trails and a bathing pool were only a short dinghy ride away, and the best part was the complete and utter silence - this place defined tranquility.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:26   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

At least where I am, Channel Islands, I have the best of both worlds, not too hot and not too cold. BUT I'd love to poke around in those coves in the PNW. I will say that one of my best local memories from many years ago was anchoring off a deserted stretch of beach on Santa Rosa island, swimming ashore with my girlfriend and watching a herd of wild horses come galloping down to the beach led by a stallion. Felt like we were in some kind of exotic perfume commercial.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:48   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I don't do 'hot' or 'humid'...... down on the campo it can run 40*C for days at a time in summer... I like cool.

I can understand how someone from Alberta or wherever may feel different.

I don't like crowds either... hot attracts crowds.
Old 15-10-2015, 15:01   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
And that is very rare event indeed, not a few times a year, closer to once a decade if you don't give them a good reason to do that Been living in Lappland for 30 years..
So, what are the Lap Dances like in Lappland?
Sorry couldn't resist
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 15:36   #23
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post

.....My best memories center around anchorages; so for me it's all about the anchorages.

I don't know for sure but get the impression temperate areas have more / better anchorages in general than tropical areas. I'm talking 100 to 500 anchorages within a 600 nm range, with a safe anchorage every 5 to 20 nm. Protected from winds and waves, with scenic and varied surroundings. And maybe even mountains.

My best memory so far is sitting at anchor in Matilda Inlet in Clayoquot Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island BC. We were the only boat there, a light Pacific Northwest fog was setting in with a cool mist of rain, evergreens surrounded the very well protected small bay, and a family of eagles soared overhead. Hiking trails and a bathing pool were only a short dinghy ride away, and the best part was the complete and utter silence - this place defined tranquility.
Nice post......You have explained my own feelings exactly....

Having done a number of circumnavigations, the evolution of a passage, the storms, the beautiful sights at sea and the different cultures and climates, all have a place in my memory.

But I think my final favorite memories will be reserved for the desolate PNW anchorages we would explore for weeks, hidden away from the world.

I think part of my psychology of satisfaction .......is that the cold waters, low temperatures and vast unpopulated rain forests, made me appreciate far more my small floating home in an area hard to survive in. (Especially bear country)

I knew if I chose, I could homestead there and survive.

I do enjoy living in the benign Tropics but they are crowded with many people who can live a more slothful life because it is so easy to pick coconuts and crabs from the ground.

If the best cruising memories derive from solving challenges, are cold climates more of a challenge and a satisfaction.... on a boat?
Old 15-10-2015, 15:54   #24

I know I've posted some of these pics before, but for those who haven't seen them they may bring some entertainment.

I love the challenge of chilly waters, it makes one feel very- alive. It provides a playing field for one of the greatest games man has ever played.

Man against nature.

I love a lazy sail around Antigua as much as the next guy, but the sense of accomplishment feels just a little bit lacking compared to surfing into a blizzard with nothing but remote rocky mountain shore line for refuge.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444948978302.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	111051   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444948995382.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	111052  

Name:	1444949012652.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	111053   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444949032323.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	111054  

Name:	1444949049046.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	111055   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444949213604.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	111056  

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 16:00   #25
CF Adviser

Wow!...... I think your taking my temperate climate thoughts to the extreme.

No doubt a challenge
Old 15-10-2015, 17:13   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

There are cold days in the tropics too but the high 70's are very pleasant.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 20:29   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I love the fishing and critters of PNW. Listening to the whales singing in Glacier Bay can keep me transfixed for an entire afternoon.

But there is nothing I enjoy more than swimming, diving, and enjoying warm water. But I do not enjoy no-see um situations, high humidity, and high temps. That is just miserable.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
But there is nothing I enjoy more than swimming, diving, and enjoying warm water. But I do not enjoy no-see um situations, high humidity, and high temps. That is just miserable.
Sounds good to me.

I want to cruise where the air temps are 72-76 °F daytime, 65 °F at night, low humidity and no mosquitos or no-see-ums.

The water should be crystal clear, 80-85 °F.

Also need beautiful beaches, mountains in the background, and coral reefs for diving.

There should be quiet, uncrowded harbors to anchor out but a city nearby with great restaurants, museums and public transportation access to the harbor. I guess a good dinghy dock would be nice as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 05:12   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sounds good to me.

I want to cruise where the air temps are 72-76 °F daytime, 65 °F at night, low humidity and no mosquitos or no-see-ums.

The water should be crystal clear, 80-85 °F.

Also need beautiful beaches, mountains in the background, and coral reefs for diving.

There should be quiet, uncrowded harbors to anchor out but a city nearby with great restaurants, museums and public transportation access to the harbor. I guess a good dinghy dock would be nice as well.

You forgot the "populated entirely by beautiful naked uninhibited women who all think you are attractive" bit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:15   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

You forgot the "populated entirely by beautiful naked uninhibited women who all think you are attractive" bit.
I think that bit will be vetoed rather quickly by the wife. Besides I think the idea of me being found all that attractive by beautiful, naked, uninhibited women falls into the realm of fairy tales and is about as likely as finding the previously described cruising location.

Now if my bank account had a few more zeros behind the figures instead of preceding them I might suddenly become much more handsome.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal