Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00   #136

Re: Best country to flag

langkawi registration for this u.s.a. citizen. I'v had enough. stand up in a boat on a lake in the u.s and it was a $50 dollar fine,and years ago. Probably more now. they treat you like your scum for standing on the earth. No respect for a good person . Were all bad and up to no good. not going to fly that flag around, and get killed for that goverment, either.
captianupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:16   #137
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captianupright View Post
langkawi registration for this u.s.a. citizen. I'v had enough. stand up in a boat on a lake in the u.s and it was a $50 dollar fine,and years ago. Probably more now. they treat you like your scum for standing on the earth. No respect for a good person . Were all bad and up to no good. not going to fly that flag around, and get killed for that goverment, either.
Captianupright,

Please read and understand the OP written by Builderdood1:
Best country to flag
I currently am flagged/registered in Panama.
Looking for a better country to register in which has little or no import cost, doesn't require you or your boat to be present and has a reasonable fee.
Panama's fees are getting out of hand.

Thank you for input..

Can't even spell the word 'Captain', how to understand the OP lol....

Ha..ha...ha.....
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 13:27   #138

I am considering to buy a Spanish boat (small, 33' mono). AFAIK the Spanish flag comes with a range of obligations (=$$$, how much, I don't know exactly).

If I flag a non-EU state and I am not EU-resident, can I do the boat-upgrades VAT-free (until I sail to the flag state)?
Old 11-01-2018, 19:53   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
What is your reason for using a flag of convenience versus your home country?
Besides the reasons he stated?
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 20:19   #140

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5

Perhaps someone can actually answer this one... I'm a US citizen living in SE Asia. Everyone tells me Lankawi is the best in terms of reg without any specific reasons vs USCG documented (setting aside political statements or subjective reasons).
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 23:53   #141

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Poof of Ownership??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No personal knowledge, but does this perhaps reflect the easy acquisition of the British registration? Seems that I've read here on CF how easy it is to come by...

When you don't have to provide the chain of ownership data, which is a PITA in many cases, the rego obviously can't provide any proof of ownership.

There ain't no free lunch in bureaucracy, unless you are a bureaucrat.

Jim
The SSR is supposedly only open to UK residents. I wonder how so many get around that.

Just like the V5 document for motor vehicles, it as you say, not proof of ownership.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 23:54   #142

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrunner View Post
Perhaps someone can actually answer this one... I'm a US citizen living in SE Asia. Everyone tells me Lankawi is the best in terms of reg without any specific reasons vs USCG documented (setting aside political statements or subjective reasons).

Langkawi it is... why would you register in the US if you live in Asia?

When returning to the US with the boat you can always change the registration to USCG
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I am considering to buy a Spanish boat (small, 33' mono). AFAIK the Spanish flag comes with a range of obligations (=$$$, how much, I don't know exactly).

If I flag a non-EU state and I am not EU-resident, can I do the boat-upgrades VAT-free (until I sail to the flag state)?

My understanding is that the answer to that question is complicated.

After you've reflagged the boat you'll need to temporarily import it to the EU - I'm sure that you can find out how to do that.

There is a procedure for getting repairs, maintenance and upgrades done VAT free but this is can only usually be done in shipyards that have the appropriate permit to do VAT-free work. So, you can't just get Joe Bloggs to turn up and do a bit of work on your boat and get him to do it without the VAT.

However, there are some marinas that also have this permit. I note the boat is in Spain and here is one marina in Barcelona where you will be able to get VAT-free work done:-

OneOcean Port Vell obtains the TPA tax free benefit scheme to yacht owners | OneOcean Port Vell Barcelona

However, unless you're having really major upgrades (I don't know what, but maybe new carbon spars and North 3DI sails) then I don't know if the VAT savings will outweigh the cost of staying in the marina.
TonyBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:55   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Langkawi it is... why would you register in the US if you live in Asia?

When returning to the US with the boat you can always change the registration to USCG

Not sure I follow your logic, people foreign flag their vessel for a variety of reasons... back to my question though; what specific benefit is there Langkawi vs USCG for those abroad?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:15   #145

Quote:
Not sure I follow your logic, people foreign flag their vessel for a variety of reasons... back to my question though; what specific benefit is there Langkawi vs USCG for those abroad?
The logic is: Langkawi registration is easy, cheap and hassle free.... you stated that you are based in SE Asia ... what logic would there be to flag the boat in the US?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:27   #146

Quote:
The logic is: Langkawi registration is easy, cheap and hassle free.... you stated that you are based in SE Asia ... what logic would there be to flag the boat in the US?
Not to split hairs, but I'm looking for something identifiable and objective.

Easy? Never known USCG to be hard unless one has trouble filling out a form. Rather than easy, feel free to tell me how it's easier.

Cheap - USCG is 133 and 26 to renew (USD). What are the total costs for registering it in Langkawi, seems a lot higher than hthat unless I'm mistaken.

Hassle Free... no idea what they refers to (how is the USCG documentation a hassle vs langkawi)?

That it? I'm genuinely asking the question as I see/hear over and over how great registering Langkawi is... with no substance as to why.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:46   #147

Quote:
Not to split hairs, but I'm looking for something identifiable and objective.

Easy? Never known USCG to be hard unless one has trouble filling out a form. Rather than easy, feel free to tell me how it's easier.

Cheap - USCG is 133 and 26 to renew (USD). What are the total costs for registering it in Langkawi, seems a lot higher than hthat unless I'm mistaken.

Hassle Free... no idea what they refers to (how is the USCG documentation a hassle vs langkawi)?

That it? I'm genuinely asking the question as I see/hear over and over how great registering Langkawi is... with no substance as to why.

Up to you ... YBC Yacht Brokerage And Charters: Langkawi International Yacht Registry: (LIYR) read, compare, decide.

An other "benefit" Langkawi vs US flag might be that in my opinion flying a Malaysian flag might be better in some SE countries ... no hard facts on that but having lived in Asia for years and having travelled extensively, I personally would prefer to fly the Malaysian flag over a US flag ...
Old 12-01-2018, 03:53   #148

Quote:
Up to you ... YBC Yacht Brokerage And Charters: Langkawi International Yacht Registry: (LIYR) read, compare, decide.

An other "benefit" Langkawi vs US flag might be that in my opinion flying a Malaysian flag might be better in some SE countries ... no hard facts on that but having lived in Asia for years and having travelled extensively, I personally would prefer to fly the Malaysian flag over a US flag ...

that site looks about 15 years dated (and poorly done then) and not much content as to "why".... I've yet to see anything that answers my question; perhaps someone here recommending Langkawi can answer it in specific instead of general terms. Ya, I get the fact that someone may not want to fly the RW&B (or they may) as reason ...
Old 14-01-2018, 07:01   #149
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

Hi! GTom,

Yes, you surely can.....
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 09:15   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBe View Post
However, unless you're having really major upgrades (I don't know what, but maybe new carbon spars and North 3DI sails) then I don't know if the VAT savings will outweigh the cost of staying in the marina.
A new engine and maybe a new set of sails are on the possible list. True, an additional 3-4k€ in marina bills and other complications would completely invalidate the idea. Offshore regs (e.g. Jersey) are also more expensive and the boat has to leave the EU VAT area every 18 months. OTOH, the non-EU VAT status won't disappear after 3 years of absence e.g. in the Caribbean.