Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2019, 07:01   #166

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Re: Best country to flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
+1

My Canadian Certificate of Registry says ..... "A Certificate of Registry is not a title".

That is true, but nobody can put a mortgage on that boat unless it is registered with the ships registry, so its not like someone can just take it away.

Regardless it begs the question, if your boat is a Canadian registered vessel how do you prove title? Bill of Sale from last owner? Who said he had title.

Having had 3 registered vessels I can tell you that these people are pretty fussy when it comes to registering the vessel.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 07:07   #167

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Of course this is one of the reasons to register elsewhere if you ever intend on returning to Canada with the vessel. Then you get the same treatment re Customs as any other foreign boat.

No if only they would get rid of the archaic necessity to measure a vessel over 40'.

I think I will look into Malaysia. I don't see the Canadian Navy around these parts of the world too often although most of the Maritime Malaysia boats are tied to the dock 24/7.
You can't just bring a foreign registered vessel into Canada and leave it here forever and not pay tax on it.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 07:49   #168

Boat: Silverton,MY,1996 34 ft aft cabin

Just another question, I am a South African on business in the US and I am planning on buying a yacht in the US. I would like to cruise the Caribbean for 2 years then make my way around the world.

Because I am buying the yacht in the US does it remain registered in the US?(I am not a US citizen)
What about insurance? Can I get US insurance or must I get South African insurance for a US registered boat?
Bracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 10:51   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
You let me know how that works for you when the USCG pulls up beside you with a 50 caliber machine gun on the deck and demands to board.

The Law of the Sea briefing for this week - there will have short, multiple-choice test later. From my experience . . .

There are a number of international treaties against smuggling humans, drugs, firearms, currency, etc. Not all nations have signed every treaty but the vast majority have. It's not likely that a certain nation's flag will give you immunity from international law enforcement efforts.

USCG has 14USC89 authority in US waters and over US vessels on the high seas, short of a foreign territorial sea. US Customs has authority over any vessel in US "Customs waters", usually 12nm offshore and any inland waterway with access to the sea.

In US Customs waters or dealing with a US-flagged boat, three things are prima facia ("on the face") evidence of smuggling and can get your boat seized. They are failure to heave-to, running without lights at night, and hidden compartments. In these cases, the burden of proof will be upon the operator to prove that the boat was not involved in smuggling.

US Customs units can board and search any vessel in IS Customs waters anytime and conduct an extensive Customs search, just like at the US border. All USCG enforcement units have Customs authority.

If a foreign-flag vessel is encountered on the high seas and US law enforcement thinks a boarding is appropriate, they'll ask for a consensual boarding. If granted, the consent can be withdrawn by the operator at any time. If a consensual boarding is refused or withdrawn and the enforcement unit thinks there's a need to continue, they will get diplomatic channels involved. The unit will communicate their concerns to the USCG Commandant who will then contact the US State department who will then contact the boat's flag state. The flag state can then authorize nothing, a boarding, or boarding and seizure if appropriate.

Many nations have tired of the process, don't want the 0300 phone call, and have given blanket authorization to board/search/seize as the US unit sees fit. The unit still confirms with the Commandant before taking any action.

If the flag state doesn't cooperate at all, the suspect boat may eventually enter someone's territorial waters (12nm) and be subject to that jurisdiction. The USCG has enforced US law in foreign territorial waters with that country's permission. The handful of nations that don't cooperate at all are places you don't want to be associated with unless you're from there.

In the case of a boat that shows one flag and changes it, or shows one flag and its documents show another, the USCG Commandant can declare the vessel "stateless" and it will be treated like a US vessel.

The US Navy and the navies of Canada and several European nations assist, especially in the warm Caribbean. Each has a USCG enforcement team aboard while they're doing counter-smuggling operations and shifts operational control to the USCG when actually conducting a boarding.

It's a bit convoluted, but it's not likely a boat with an obscure flag can avoid the scrutiny of international law enforcement. All that AND a .50 caliber machine gun.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:00   #170

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracus View Post
Just another question, I am a South African on business in the US and I am planning on buying a yacht in the US. I would like to cruise the Caribbean for 2 years then make my way around the world.

Because I am buying the yacht in the US does it remain registered in the US?(I am not a US citizen)
What about insurance? Can I get US insurance or must I get South African insurance for a US registered boat?
Commonwealth citizens can use UK Part 1 registry now (Brexit rules).

If the transaction happens in US waters you will need to tell USCG that boat is now "foreign owned" and get a cruising permit/license from Customs. Lots of folks don't pay attention to this and get away with it, but the Feds can be nasty if they so wish.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 14:45   #171
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by helise View Post
Hello Steve,

For you info., they USN, USCG or any other countries naval vessels can't board Malaysian flagged vessel in International waters. That's against the Rule of the seas under UNCLOS and furthermore Malaysian did not signed or allowed any foreign navy to board it flagged vessel in International Waters.

We have a total of 11 yachts registered under LIYR Entity. So far so good and have no problem at all since 2006. Our Agent in Malaysia is a very professional, he's a Master Mariner and expert witness in maritime, very experience and very powerful in Malaysia. He will do what you want and very co-operative. He can even arrange for you to get a "Silver Hair Scheme" or "Malaysia is My 2nd Home" (stay in Malaysia for 10 years or more) or to meet the Minister or even the Prime Minister and/or the King.

I am a Briton and my hubby is an American. We met the Sultan of Brunei, Sultan of Johor, Malaysian King (Agong), few Ministers and even the current Prime Minister (Mohd.Najib) through him. As an Agent, knowledge, respect and quality is more important. Everyone in Malaysian Marine Department, Singapore MPA and LIYR know him.

You may contact him directly at mobile number +6018-7748020 or email Joabdullah@rocketmail.com if you need any assistant and please do mention my name.

Cheers......Helise Harper.

How expensive is this agent you use?
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 21:25   #172

12 pages and I still do not see a clear answer. Langkawi. the Marshals or Delaware?? or?? WHY? Looks to me like good ol USA is the cheapest (+) but state taxes are a potential problem. I am spending most of my time in SE Asia so Langkawi gives a hint of local boy cred (+) The Marshals keeps all the US affiliated ports easier to enter, (+)
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 22:42   #173

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWDave View Post
12 pages and I still do not see a clear answer. Langkawi. the Marshals or Delaware?? or?? WHY? Looks to me like good ol USA is the cheapest (+) but state taxes are a potential problem. I am spending most of my time in SE Asia so Langkawi gives a hint of local boy cred (+) The Marshals keeps all the US affiliated ports easier to enter, (+)

British Ship Register Part 1 via Jersey Ship’s Registry. Likely the least expensive option, depending on your tonnage survey requirements, and free ship radio licence via OFCOM. Qualification is easy, but depends on your citizenship (basically EU or Commonwealth). No good if you’re American though.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 23:07   #174

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Australia is the best country of all to flag a vessel,
It costs me $87-00 a year to register a 34 foot sailing Cat, Victoria,
Plus a boat licence, Epirb, VHF radio,
I am an Aussie resident,

I had to prove the boat was mine to get it registered,
I had all the paper work from Manufactured New in the USA,

It cost 10% GST to import it to Australia, No Duty was Payable,
Plus customs and immigration and Quarantine that went thru the boat with a fine tooth comb, They dont like imported Bugs of any kind,

Flare gun that came with the USA boat is totally prohibited in OZ,
Customs took it off me, Gave it back, They stated it was Illegal,
Then I contacted the water Police here,
They stated to hand it in at my local police station, After ringing them and telling them I was bringing it in, In a box, So I didnt get shot,

My boat was a USA registered Boat, USCG, In Fiji, The PO was an American citizen,
The PO had to leave Fiji every three years to another country and then go back for a further 3 years, Visa was for 3 years only, But renewable,
The second picture has a Fiji flag on it,

Australia ships register is approx $1200-00 as a one off payment to travel abroad,
It may have changed since I last seen it,

Australia is an Island that has approx 18,000 miles of coast, And the scenery is very diverse as you travel around it,
From Heavily populated area's to Long beaches, Mountain Rain Forest jungle, to arid desert with vertical rocky cliffs,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat flags 002.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	225913   Click image for larger version

Name:	90997862_10222308852215080_7336082640132374528_o.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	225914  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 01:36   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Australia is the best country of all to flag a vessel,
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your outlook, Australia would be near the bottom of the list of countries to choose from when it comes to registering a vessel under a FOC..............

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 01:36   #176

This is a very interesting thread. One thing occurs to me (forgive me if it was covered - I tried to read the whole thing); if you're Epirb goes off, doesn't the alarm ring in your flag country marine rescue authority? Pretty sure mmsi registrations are all linked to flag.

This would surely be something to consider, in terms of resources and training of the particular country's responsible authority, against convenience?

Our do I have this wrong?
LEASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 14:46   #177

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEASE View Post
This is a very interesting thread. One thing occurs to me (forgive me if it was covered - I tried to read the whole thing); if you're Epirb goes off, doesn't the alarm ring in your flag country marine rescue authority? Pretty sure mmsi registrations are all linked to flag.

This would surely be something to consider, in terms of resources and training of the particular country's responsible authority, against convenience?

Our do I have this wrong?

An EPIRB registration is linked to your boat’s MMSI and registration for identification of the boat during an emergency call, but it is a separate registration and generally follows the EPIRB’s country of purchase and use. So the emergency notification goes first to the EPIRB’s registration country’s marine rescue authority.

As a personal example, our boat registration is with GBR. Our primary EPIRB was purchased and registered in New Zealand. Our current location is Australia. So if we were to activate our EPIRB the signal would go to the NZ Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), which would transfer the call to the Australian MRCC. The rescue would be coordinated by Australia. The UK MRCC would not be notified as it is not in the rescue area.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 15:15   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

back when I was a working stiff....I was involved with a port expansion here in the good 'ole USA. Standing in the way of the port expansion were about two dozen homes...homes that had been there for years..
The US guv'mint knocked on their doors and said " we are taking your property thru' " right of eminent domain"....yep, that's right...what followed was a lengthy battle to determine an appropriate value for these homes....a loosing battle for the homeowners.
In the end off course....all the homes were taken...demolished and a new shipping terminal constructed....

seems like most countries do as they damn well please...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 15:24   #179
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Leaving the US in a sailboat is relatively easy....just untie and go....

Coming back, generally requires a phone call...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:00   #180

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Leaving the US in a sailboat is relatively easy....just untie and go....

Coming back, generally requires a phone call...
That is rather weird. When I flew through the US in January I had to have an EFTA and go through immigration. Back through security to get on a domestic to Miami and then at Miami just walked onto the Guayaquil plane.

So how do they know I left? Passenger lists? But they don't have a passenger list when a yacht just up and leaves.

Equally weird was back in 2006 when I arrived at LA from Lima and was leaving a few hours later for Sydney NSW. Pre EFTA I was issued a 90 day visa so I could get from one terminal to the other.
On it was writ ' if you don't leave within 90 days we won't let you back in'.
I was thinking that if I hadn't left within 90 days I probably had no plans on leaving - ever.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote