Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Being more positive on CF

First, you can always just listen. Loads of good information, and you will learn how to filter the information (since it is not all good).

Second, search before you ask. You learned this in elementary school. Do your homework. The result will be a better question, far more likely to yield the information you were looking for. And is it even polite to ask a question before you have made a fair effort to find the answer? Read a basic book. Use Google. I've never known a researched question to draw broad scorn.

If you have a burning desire to be ridiculed, post information as factual that you have not researched. Hey, you brought it on yourself! Pull up your big boy shorts and deal with it. I've made that mistake and learned from it (sometimes your research is wrong or incomplete--you'll get "learned").
Old 01-07-2019, 10:36   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

I can remember the days here when if you asked a STUPID question that you had not researched you could expect to be told the ANSWER
Old 01-07-2019, 10:54   #18

Boat: Islander 36

I joined this forum in about 2002 (even though somewhere back some hit the “reset” and it shows some later join date).

I use to spend a lot more time here, and i’ve seen some major contributors come and go.

One human trait that seems very pronounced here is the tendency to state opinion as though it were fact. I am no less guilty than anyone else. Having said that, I will also say that I don’t contribute like I use to because it just got so aggravating.

I see see my daily alerts and I filter through them the post. But so many just seem far too .... newbie.

I was a serious newbie at one point. And I gained a lot here. But having mostly moved on feels much better these days.

When I want help now, I will Google it, and throw in the words Cruiser Forum. If I were to offer any advice now, it would be that newbies try that first, before they hit my “grumpy old man” button.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:07   #19

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I would add a few things too. As I am sure you are aware, a lot of times the newbies forget that when they ask a question, they have to be prepared for an answer they don't want. Too often, as you pointed out, they have a preconceived notion that may (often) is not realistic. Answers which don't support what's in their head are often perceived as negative instead of honest.
Well said. I agree that it is more important to be honest than to be encouraging at the expense of reality.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16   #20

Boat: Mitsubishi Montero (15.5ft)

This lurker newbie thinks y'all are doing a great job of being welcoming.

Sailing strikes me as a relatively slow, intentional thing. People who can't slow down, do their homework, and show strangers simple respect should probably be shopping for plane tickets instead of sailboats, imo.

Including my ASA101, I've only been on the water five times in the last eight months. I've paid at least $100 a pop. It's worth it. And while I live in the desert (Phoenix), I'm currently researching two local yacht/sailing clubs to see which is a better fit for me so I can get involved, lend and hand, and learn the ropes, er, lines, I mean sheets.

So thank you.
dr1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
A long time ago I worked at a gas station across the street from the beach in Florida. While I was pumping gas for this "old" man I was admiring a couple of young ladies in bikinis crossing the street. The "old" man said "I really feel sorry for you". I responded "why"? He said "I noticed you admiring those young ladies." I said "OK". He asked how old are you, 18 or 19'. I said 19. He said "You can admire women from about age 15 to maybe 24 or 25, while I can admire them from 15 to 80, that's why I feel sorry for you." That conversation was a pearl of wisdom I have carried into my "old" age.

Good one, Bill.

And it was Woody Allen who said (way back in the 70s):

It's good to be bisexual, you double the number of possible dates.

Quote:
And we wonder why the younger generation think we are nuts...

And what we felt about our parents' generation. Same old, same old.

Oh, we are nuts!

We must be 'cuz my wife says we all look alike!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

And it was Woody Allen who said (way back in the 70s):

It's good to be bisexual, you double the number of possible dates.

Statistically true, but, no, just no.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40   #23

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

I was just bragging about this forum to the admiral. What I like is the cross section of people you get, a lot of wisdom, without wading through the entire internet to get it. It’s like the ads for business services and expensive foreign airlines that they run only on the Sunday morning news shows and during golf tournaments, but in reverse. Instead of targeted advertising, it’s pre-culled wisdom. Priceless.

Also, it’s hard not to be harsh on noobs when you read their threads and watch in slow motion as they go from excited to overconfident to ‘naufrago’ in short order. I have benefited immensely over four years, and saved big bucks and kept myself sailing, thanks in part to the forum. So thanks. If a bunch of naysayers are enough to put someone ashore, so be it. I’ve posted dumb advice, been rebuffed, sulked, and gotten over it.

Check this thread out- should be required reading!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-204961.html
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Rather amusing thread. The equivalent of navel gazing I suppose (and who doesn’t love to do that ?).

I don’t perceive the general attitude here to be overly negative. There are few less savoury folks around, but only a few.

I tend to participate in threads that I have some knowledge about; either through direct experience or indirect or researched information. Plus, I do like some of the more, shall we say, theoretical discussions, although these sometimes go off the political rails.

Mostly stay away from the obvious newbie threads. If the topic or question is painfully un-researched, then I don’t feel there’s much point responding. I also tend to avoid the dreamer threads; the ones about never having sailed “but I want to go around the world and see all the beautiful sites.” I don’t have anything useful to say to these people. Reality will smack them hard without any contribution from me.

I’m often amused by the grumpy old man response to some posts. No one forces anyone to read a message or a thread, let alone type a response. If you don’t like the topic, and have nothing useful to contribute, just move on.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Having a chuckle at posts in this thread but also being reminded that even though I'm definitely not as old as some here, I might be becoming the 'grumpy old man' anyway when it comes to certain threads or topics...
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

There are all types on this board, just like in life. Know-it-alls, know-nothings, nice folks, helpful folks, a$$holes, etc. I just try and tune out attitude, trying to figure out who knows what they are talking about, and go from there. All in all I consider it a pretty civil community and very accepting of newcomers.

I know I've been salty sometimes, and have weighed in on a topic with what turned out to be bad information. We all make mistakes.

If anyone really wants to put the relative civility of this board in perspective all they need to do is head over to Sailing Anarchy. It will be educational.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:32   #27

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If anyone really wants to put the relative civility of this board in perspective all they need to do is head over to Sailing Anarchy. It will be educational.
True facts! Also, anyone who I find overly minatory or who bothers me for some reason I just block. Only have done that a couple times but it’s really improved my experience.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:37   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
True facts! Also, anyone who I find overly minatory or who bothers me for some reason I just block. Only have done that a couple times but it’s really improved my experience.
I just blocked you to see how well it will work to improve my experience.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:37   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
And I just learned my mandatory new word for the day....

Let’s try to be not minatory and more welcoming.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 13:15   #30

There's nothing wrong with this site. I'd hate to see what it would become if there was an effort to never offend anyone. Some people just live to be offended.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote