Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 19:34   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Be Aware of Your Wake . . . Show Some Courtesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
Yesterday at dusk some JERK came by with a large motor yacht pushing about a three foot wave.
Was it a Carver?

In my neighborhood, 83% of the folk who can't figure out their wakes are driving Carvers.

A strange phenomenon.
Old 26-09-2011, 19:39   #17

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

We have the same sort of problem when the power boats come into our sailboat only marina.

They usually come in hot and don't cut their engines until they are right at the no wake bouys. Of course their bow wave just doesn't die, it gives all the boats moored and in their slips a big lift.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 19:54   #18

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I can’t count the times that motor yachts came down off plane, to PUSH BIG WAKE, as they passed me.
I’m certain they (ignorantly) thought they were doing the “right” thing.
I know that it inconvenienced them, whilst it waked me out.
Ignorance is no excuse; just (sometimes) an explanation.
This guy wasn't even on plane, boat about a seventy footer or so just plowing along, never backed off a bit when he passed a seafood restaurant with a dock, the marina that I'm at or the fishing fleet and shrimp boats just below. I heard him coming and went up the ladder and stuck my head out the hatch as he went by and had to jump down to keep my dog from being burnt by hot oil splashing from the skillet on the range. Didn't see the name or I would have called someone. Others here and at the fish dock below were talking about it today, so I wasn't the only one who was affected.
Old 26-09-2011, 19:56   #19

Boat: Ericson E32-2 32 ft.

I used to canoe the flats on the ICW before I got a small (19 ft.) fishing boat. These guys would wake me out when I would fish the front side of some islands in the ICW. I used to carry a pen and pad with me and always had it handy to record the boat name. What they did not know was that I was a bridge tender in those days .

Totally agree with you and I also agree with reporting him. They are responsible for their wake.
MrMNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 20:17   #20

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Popular opinion here is that it was someone in a rush to get somewhere to tie up before it got real dark or a delivery skipper wanting to get it done and get his money.
Old 26-09-2011, 22:51   #21

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

If I was elected Queen of the world the first thing I would do is create a no wash zone in all protected waters.
Sydney Harbour would be first on the list!!!!

Those boats can make it a washing machine.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 02:55   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It's surprising how few power boaters know how to do a good pass. For sailboats you should stop the engine when the power boat is level with your transom. The power boat should come at cruising speed right up to the transom as close as possible and then cut the power and drift by. The sailboat should then go over a bit and stay in the middle of the power boat's wake. Some skippers know how to do this and it's beautiful to watch when a big sportfish powers right up to the transom and then drifts by when I stop my engine.

It's really bad that some power boats who don't know how to do this slow down way before they're up to your transom. Takes forever and then they usually create a big wake going by.

I think maybe a LOT of power boaters don't know that. I say that because I've taken two different boater safety courses and this was never mentioned. I turn into big boats and then sail behind it, but that's just common sense. I was taught to turn into a big wake, but not what to do afterwards. I just found calm water there.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:47   #23

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Sort of like parking in the breakdown lane of a freeway and complaining about the noise.
We run a large trawler at 7 knts and don't throw a wake, but a power boat with a planing hull will at almost any speed. Most homes on the ICW have lifts on their docks.
It's a good idea to find a creek off the ICW and get away from the traffic.
If all traffic slowed to 2knts for every boat along the shore even the sailboats would scream bloody murder.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 07:11   #24

I agree lorenzo. The ICW is a waterway, and it was built for moving vessels up and down the coast. It was not built for people to keep their boats anchored or moored, as an area protected from wakes. If you want a wake free experience, then you should find a creek or protected marina to anchor/tie up in.

Now, with boats underway, its a different situation. I do agree with the above post describing the proper passing procedures. It needs to be done and more people should practice it. Its unbelievable how many sailboaters are unaware of how easy it can be. They motor along at hull speed, forcing us to pass at 9-10 knots which throws a huge wake. If they would just bump it into neutral for 30 seconds we could pass by at 5-6 knots with no wake, then we are both on our way. The worst is when they don't have their radios on so you can't even call them and request a slow down, or when you can't read the boat name because of all the crap hanging off the stern, or maybe there is no name at all, or in such small lettering that its impossible to read with binoculars. They have no right to get upset with getting waked if they are ignorant of the proper procedures and identifying their boat properly. About 1/2 of the sailboats are guilty of this, and the other 1/2 know how to handle their boats and are appreciative of the slow pass we always try to give while boats are underway.

But, we don't slow down for boats anchored outside of the channel or boats on lifts outside of the channel unless it is an official no wake zone. The signs individual dock owners hang do not count. Again, the ICW was built and is intended as a waterway to move vessels, not an anchorage, fishing area, or no wake zone. If someone decides to anchor, moor, or fish along the ICW, then they should expect vessel traffic to throw some wakes.
jammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:19   #25

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

As a sailboater I find the power boaters to be generally veryt good about wakes. If you call them or answer tham on the VHF they will do as you ask. I much prefer that they do not slow down and stay on plane. Its a Sailboat for crying out loud! It is supposed to be able to tip over a bit. Just communicate.... That said....... there is no excause for anyone to throw a wake in a place like Holden Beach, More so at the bridge. A potato cannon load to the flybridge enclousure will get them the message. The paint ball has merit as it will show up a repeat ofender better.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:13   #26

I would highly recommend against the potato gun or paint ball route. You may quickly realize that you brought a potato gun to a gun fight.

Most real cruising boats that I know are prepared for all most anything, including fending off armed attacks, potato gun or other.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:25   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The only time I've seen the authorities take action regarding a "waking" incident was at Wrightsville Beach quite a few years ago. A singlehander in a Catalina 30 threatened to shoot a powerboater over having been waked. Everyone heard it on the vhf, he said it more than once. The result was the singlehander having to tie his boat up and walk backwards off his boat with his hands on his head. That's what the Sheriff's swat team made him do. He ended up in jail. He did have a rifle on the boat and sounded like he'd been having a refreshment or two while motoring down the waterway. Nothing happened to the powerboater who continued on his way.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:28   #28

Wow, ten months and this was the worst? You're lucky... you should try Florida on a weekend! It is amazing looking at the big powerboats on the waterway, some of them leave a flat little 6" ripple and the next one will leave a 2-3 ft wave... both at the same speed!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:53   #29

Good point Vasco. Threatening with a gun, real or otherwise, is a crime and will get you in trouble. Responsible gun owners know this.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:19   #30

I believe most of these power boat drivers do know about the wake they generate but don't care. In Mexico a lot of large gringo sport fishing boats are piloted by Mexican captions. They are pros at their jobs and figure there wake it just the way it is and has to be dealt with by everybody in their path. Seem's like it's a universal problem no mater where one is.
saben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
courtesy flags