Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36   #1

Bareboat Qualifications

I don't know if this belongs here, or not. I've just joined the forum and it looks great! I have done a lot of sailing, both dinghy and keel, but don't own a boat. It's just too short a season here in Toronto (having lived and sailed in Australia and South Africa my tolerance level is low). So I want to start taking bareboat charter holidays, looking at the Mediterranean, possibly also Carribean. Does anyone know anything about the kind of qualifications and certificates companies will be looking for? I have a lot of experience but basically no certificates (except the licenses I need to sail on Lake Ontario and operate a radio). Thanks!
kleinzaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Bareboat qualifiactions

Essentially all you need is a credit card. Most companies ask for a sailing resume but in the final analysis, they're in the business of renting boats that belong to others.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:02   #3

make up a "Sailing Resume" showing your experience etc. That helps. Ditto what was said above though!
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:14   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Rick is right. I might add that the BVI bareboat charter companies we have used state in the fine print that the sailing resume (experience) submitted becomes part of the charter contract. Embellishing a sailing resume might become an issue in the event of boat damage requiring an insurance claim, etc., possibly allowing their insurance company to sucessfully deny the claim. Having said that, the companies want to know that you can read a chart, depth finder, navigate to the level required by the charter area, have some experience dealing with inboard engines, anchoring, etc. I never took a formal sailing class, just learning from friends, but did take boating safety and Advanced Coastal Navigation classes. Had no problem bareboat chartering. They will know when you step on the charter boat and answer a few questions if you know what you are doing or will require a hired captain. It helps if you have owned and maintained an inboard powered sailboat. You can apply online to Moorings with no obligation to see what size boats you qualify for.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:24   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ask the charterer, some will ask you to take a checkout ride with one of their captains, others won't care. (Guess which ones take better care of their boats?) Offer to provide the sailing resume, and a letter from your boat's owner attesting to your time on the water, if you have no log of your own.

If it becomes a problem...see which sailing courses or "bareboat prep" courses they want from you, and consider doing one of those in a warm place instead of a charter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:48   #6

Thanks everyone, this is immensely helpful.
kleinzaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat