Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 07:41   #46

Re: Attaching a 5KW generator to the main 45 HP boat engine

Thanks Raymond
I think the biggest problem in running a generator/alternator larger than about 1 KW would be the lateral force on the crankshaft bearing, which could result in major repairs every few years.
If there is a way to run the alternator in line with the flywheel or with the front crankshaft pulley then there will be no lateral force on the bearing.
What you are describing-- a generator between the fly wheel and the transmission, makes a lot of sense to me, even though I do not thing it is a possible retrofit!
Is there any way you can get the manufacturer's name or the engine model number?

thanks again andy
andypapad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 14:23   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

It's a fair while ago and I have lost contact with the friend, he is not answering his phone and may be dead now. The Cat was a Fastback 40 but I don't recall whether the system was owner or manufacturer fitted.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:00   #48

Hi Raymond
Again thanks for mentioning the in line generator. I did a quick google search and found some products that fit the bill and are retrofittable! They can also be used as "engines" in a mode similar to hybrid cars.

A: The Cummins CorePlus motor-generator provides hybrid-like benefits and could be retrofitted on trucks and equipment - See more at:

B: Vehicle in-line generator, US Patent 6133659 A, Issued Oct 2000
An in-line generator fits between the engine and transmission of a conventional motor vehicle. The in-line generator comprises an externally cooled housing having a first end that is mounted to the engine in place of the transmission. The transmission is secured to the housing second end in the same manner as the transmission would normally be secured to the engine. One end of a rotor is fastened to the engine crankshaft. A coupling is attached to the rotor second end and to the transmission input shaft. When the engine is operated, the rotor rotates to cooperate with a stator in the housing to produce electric power. The rotor also transmits torque to the transmission to propel the motor vehicle. The coupling includes a flex plate that accommodates thermal expansion of the rotor and other generator parts. The in-line generator can be removed from the vehicle and the transmission resecured to the engine as in a normal vehicle should the in-line generator require repair. Alternately, a dummy generator can be installed in place of the in-line generator.
andypapad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:32   #49

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypapad View Post
- See more at:
where?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 15:42   #50

I like these, but make sure you are looking at marine equipment like below...

http://electricyachtsocal.com

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 18:19   #51

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Andy, interesting stuff going on these days with the transition to electric vehicles.

In the very early days of motor vehicles there were engines fitted with flywheel generators which were implemented by attaching V shaped magnets to the flywheel with bolts. I only ever saw the flywheel parts on an old engine so don't know how they commutated them.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, generator