Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 23:57   #1

Anyone meet their significant other while cruising?

I read so much about couples deciding to chase the adventure by getting into a cruising lifestyle together, but curious about those that started cruising when single (or maybe a previous relationship?) and then met their significant other through their cruising adventures.

boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:01   #2

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Re: Anyone meet their significant other while cruising?

I met a number of "others" while cruising; the moment they became "significant", they wanted me to be "sensible", give up cruising and take up gardening and/or golf; they were then relegated as "ex others"

Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I met a number of "others" while cruising; the moment they became "significant", they wanted me to be "sensible", give up cruising and take up gardening and/or golf; they were then relegated as "ex others"
Haha, well said, Bruce.

I guess meeting someone you hit it off with that ALSO wants to continue a cruising lifestyle is pretty rare.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 01:44   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

I would say it is far more common to meet people who have lost their significant others whilst cruising.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

my SO signed on as crew 25 years ago,then never left.........
with careful attention to feed and water properly, produced a further 2 crew....
Old 25-07-2018, 09:49   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Almost, but not quite.

My "other" asked me out on a date to which I replied I would only go if he taught me how to sail. That was 24 years ago. 4 boats later we live aboard full time and are cruising (at last) in the PNW.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:01   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Back in ‘83 I singlehanded from UK to Antigua,I met this cute ‘Jersey Girl’ who was the cook on a 90ft Fife, I got a crew job for a season,then ,Jan 85,the owner let us use the boat for our wedding in Falmouth,Antigua. Still married ,setting of on our retirement cruise in about 5 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C38333B3-F2D1-4FA3-99F8-71AAD2F0D396.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	174327  
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:15   #8

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

There are several web sites to meet other sailors. You can make contact with possible dates who already know they like sailing or at least think they would like it - worked for us.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 10:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
my SO signed on as crew 25 years ago,then never left.........
with careful attention to feed and water properly, produced a further 2 crew....
And I thought it was all about "Rumpling The Ribena"

STILL think that was bluidy hilarious!
Old 25-07-2018, 11:05   #10
C38

Boat: 1981 Catalina 38 S&S design

Which are these sites to meet sailors for dates? Pretty hard to meet women who really want to sail and not just say they do. Or just want to entertain their friends on my boat...
C38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 11:34   #11

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

https://www.lovesail.com/

https://www.findacrew.net/

https://www.singlesonsailboats.org/

get curious - use your computer - they are out there
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:09   #12

Much easier to develop a relationship where she learns to trust you and then you talk her into leaving her shore side life behind to go cruising.

As opposed to having her walk away from her life to live on a boat and then learn to trust you.

Yes, it happens but it's the oddity not the norm. And as others have said, even those who get the relationship fist don't always successfully make the transition but odds are better.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:10   #13

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Yep, finding a significant other that shares your passions in life is very special.

One thing is that if they join you for a cruise you will definitely find out just how compatible and manageable your relationship will become and possibly endure.

Around 35 years ago, was instructing, skippering charters, and leading training flotilas to catalina island . This was pretty much full time as I worked on getting my sea time of 720 days to sit for my U.S.C.G captains license. Took 5 years . And enjoying it all to the max.

One of our members, Erica, absolutely loved sailing. She owned a Crealock 37, made by Pacific Sea Craft and had that vessel on lease back with the sailing club. She had gone thru her 42 hrs of on board basic , intermediate, and advanced lessons on several of our club boats ( 30 ft on up ). She passed all of her tests, and check rides. This was with the Newport Sailing Club in Newport Beach Callfornia. She was out sailing every weekend.

This was just the beginning. She also elected to take Celestial Navigatiion, and the North U racing and sail trim seminar, and my Coastal Piloting and Navigation class. Plus many other seminars and thru the years, sailed many of the vessels in our fleet and was qualified on vessels up to 46 ft. Obviously she loved sailing.

It was after the final Navigation class that the whole crew met for drinks and dancing at one of the dockside bars in Newport Bay. Our relationship began.

Now cruising comes into the picture. The Sailing Club put together a 12 vessel BVI sailing vacation. Erica was skipper of a Gulfsteam 42 and I had another boat. But, much of the cruise was sort of a loose flotila and we would meet up at various anchorages.

It is now 35 or so years later, and we have shared an amazing lifestyle of adventure and great times. That includes sailing Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, The Calif coast and channel islands, the Bahamas, BVI's, French West Indies, Windward and Grenadines, Ireland and Greece.

And, we are also FAA certified pilots; Padi certified divers, and , share diving, snorkeling , kayaking, hiking, biking, working out, and good fun times and special friends.

I was very fortunate to find a mate that has the same interests that I do. Well, I did not take up sky diving,like Erica did, but at least I wore a parachute when I was an Air Combat Flight Instructor . Never had to bail out in 17 years, and to me, that was a good thing.

Point of all of this, if it had not been for Erica's joining the sailing club, and her passion for sailing and seamanship , our wakes would never have crossed.

It has been an amazing life that we both share so much of, and both of us absolutely enjoy all of these fantastic adventures together, and still are.

And , yes , before Erica there were very special people in my life, But, to have a real live soul mate that is comfortable with reefing down in a storm, flying areobatics, diving the great barrier reef and coral sea, hiking in the wilderness, kayaking rivers, etc,, etc, and who is an avid NFL fan.... NO, SORRY, YOU HAVE TO FIND YOUR OWN.

I would not trade Erica for millions or billions, the big house on the water, or anything on this planet.

All of these many years, come back to a quest to be part of the sailing life.

Point being, it may take opening up your sailing horizons, and being able to meet a significant other that already loves sailing and other adventures or is willing to at least try and learn to share it with you.

Aye, lad, casting a larger net might be a good idea.

Where we have run across single ladies while sailing, is with sailing clubs or associations, and on international sailing vacations, crews on charter boats, and those working at charter companies, and single ladies with families and friends who are on one or two week bare boat or chartered cruises ( at the beach and marina bars ).

Just a few ideas, in addition to those expats who are living and working on island, as well as some local island gals.

Bring your aloha, a bottle of rum, your dynamic personality and a boat, YA NEVER KNOW HOW FANTASTIC LIFE COULD BECOME.

Fair winds, following seas, and good hunting !

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 12:13   #14

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

First of all the odds are seriously and I mean seriously against it. Ihave been a member of lovesail for as long as I have been cruising...10 years. Serious waste of time. Find a Crew is where I have had the best luck. In fact my present sailing partner came from there. I have had a couple good crew that lasted a while. There are many many women over 50 who want a cheap adventure vacation for maybe as much as 6 months. There is a bunch who have a romantic vision of the life tho its far from the reality of this cruising life of which I like to say is...”Its a lovely life just not real refined”.
Best thing you can do is go where there are lots of women sailors. New Zealand and Australia are my top choices for long term sailing partners. My great little sailing partner came from the South Island of New Zealand. You will still have to sort through the frogs before you find your sailing Princess/ partner tho. At least there, they will have sailing experience and not have just been dreaming about it.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 18:35   #15

Cool Re: Anyone meet their significant other while cruising?

Cathy my wife of 44 yrs went to Fiji in the peace Corp. When she left, I told her to look me up when she got back and I would take her sailing. She did, our first date was going sailing.

Bill Conlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising