Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 15:29   #1

Boat: Endeavour, 1983 Sloop, 38 Ft.
Anyone In Cabo San Lucas?

Hi,
We are cruising South and are now in the IGY Marina in Cabo San Lucas. Would like to meet up with anyone cruising South, or just cruising anywhere.

Any local cruising hangouts? Or just drop by the boat?

Cheers!!
Hal
S/V Second Wind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SecondWind90814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Anyone In Cabo San Lucas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWind90814 View Post
Hi,
We are cruising South and are now in the IGY Marina in Cabo San Lucas. Would like to meet up with anyone cruising South, or just cruising anywhere.

Any local cruising hangouts? Or just drop by the boat?

Cheers!!
Hal
S/V Second Wind

Damn! Just spent 4 days in Cabo, could see the marina from the hotel, but like a dumbass, I didn't go down there. I was sailing a Falcon 900 though out of Dallas...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57   #3

Oh well sounds like you had a good time anyway. We are now in Mazatlan and really enjoying it. Anyone want to meet up with us just give me a shout.

Hal
S/V Second Wind
Marina El Cid

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04   #4

Boat: Catalina 38'/ Tiara 33'

Sounds like a great trip. How far south are you going?
MaxwellIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellIns View Post
Sounds like a great trip. How far south are you going?
We are meandering down the West Coast of Mexico then continuing to down to Panama. Will make a left turn there, through the Canal, another left up the other side. Spend some time in Belize, Stop in Havana (if the U.S. Gov't will let us) then over to our new home in Port Charlotte Florida.

Yes it is a great trip it gets better and better... each port a new adventure, new friends.

Hal
S/V Second Wind
K6RTD
Old 03-02-2016, 11:53   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Hi, we spent a couple of seasons along the coast there and we have friends down there now. And, we hope to go back on our new boat soon.

I am glad you are out of Cabo since it is probably the worst place to find someone to hook up with of any place on that side of Mexico. Not to say impossible but most sailboaters leave there as soon as they can for other more "desirable" places.

The farther south you go the more likely you are to find other boats going farther south. In any place though it will take some serendipity to run in to the "right" other boat. Mazatlan is probably good but farther down would be even better. Certainly Puerto Vallarta probably has the biggest collection of boaters that might be going farther south and Zihuatenejo would have an even higher percentage of people going farther south. They both have local radio nets so you could get on those every morning to check in and ask. I'm sure you already know about the Sonrisa net (and another I can't remember the name of) that are SSB radio nets. The PV one is VHF local, like most of the local hangouts. The radio would be your friend in this case. You might run into someone at a bar or store or party too but the radio lets you contact far more boats. The SSB nets are very good too.

Buddy boating has its pluses and minuses. We were/are very reluctant buddy boaters. Everyone wants to go on their own schedule, stay for X amount of time at various places, and that may not agree with yours. We got in to situations where we had to wait for friends for a variety of reasons and missed out on things we wanted to do. And arranging to meet up with people on a schedule can lead to many hard feelings.

Having said that we participated in the BahaHaHa going down. We also were (loosely) part of the Pacific Puddle Jump. The BHH has a pretty set schedule with scheduled stops and layovers so you keep up with people easily. The PPJ was completely different. We did have lots of weekly meetings to compare notes and when we left we took off sorta kinda at the same time as two other boats who we kept track of by SSB every day for security blanket reasons. We each got to the Marquesas at different times. And we sometimes went other places together and sometimes not after that between destinations. Loose was best for us and them.

You might find a small group of like minded souls who would like to set up a similar deal. Part of it is "chemistry" between you and the others. Some people may be going the same way but will not agree to buddy at all. Some will not even share plans with others. It's nothing personal, just a style thing. Some people cling to others out of fear of the unknown. That's okay for some and not okay for others.

I wish you the best on your adventures. You might consider spending the entire season in Mexico though like 90% (guess) of the boaters down there do. Some stay on their boats in the Sea of Cortez for the summer, some put their boats in marinas or on the hard and spend the hot season elsewhere. We easily did two seasons there and enjoyed all of it. And then we took off west. By then we learned a lot about everything and built much more confidence in ourselves and the boat. Lots of sailors who leave quick say they wished they had spent more time there. But not everyone. And it depends on your overall plans and life schedule. There are certainly no rules - which is a big part of the fun of it all!!!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:03   #7

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

We just arrived in San Jose Del Cabo.
Very nice sail from La Paz. We are heading to Puerto Vallarta.
Would love to hear from anyone going that direction. We are two ladies 32 and 52 years young.
Our crew position ends here in Cabo.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:14   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

second wind. am in isla marina. you still in el cid??
lets go for pizza n flippin at la mona marina weds , ok?? solitary bird on end tie in tiny lil marina on round island.

ps..i am not in the statistical buncha goes north folks. staying all summer because i CAN.

lorrie, that goes double for you. if ye wanna meet up i am here for repairs, in water

have mexifone if interested.pm
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:13   #9

Ok Will message you as soon as I figure out how,lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 17:19   #10

BTW, I am in San Jose Del Cabo now. Will be heading North around the 1st of June. Looking fir 1 or 2 crew members to ride up to Long Beach with me. 7-10 days.
Old 05-05-2016, 13:25   #11

I may be heading to CA in June and also have Mexi phone. Lets keep in contact. Never know schedule for sailing. We can chat when closer to that time.
Fair Winds
Old 05-05-2016, 16:14   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I may be heading to CA in June and also have Mexi phone. Lets keep in contact. Never know schedule for sailing. We can chat when closer to that time.
Fair Winds
bueno. fair winds and happy sails....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote