Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 16:46   #1

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Anyone Else Have A Woodstove Onboard

So, I just picked up an old marine stove. They were quite common on fishing vessels years ago around here. I found a Lunenburg Foundry stove called "The Gift". I spent yesterday sandblasting and polishing, looks great now.You will have to take my word for it until i find the cord for my camera to load the pics. I think i will do an install next weekend. Anyone else got one, tips , do's or dont's?
(i will post pics as soon as i can)
Old 27-02-2012, 18:23   #2

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190
Re: Anyone Else Have A Woodstove Onboard

about your missing in action camera download cord; Walmart has these little devices like a flashdrive that are cheap. You take the sim card like thingy out of your camera that's next to the battery and plug it into your USB port and download your pictures, then put it back into your camera--if you can't find the cord. Is the stove oil-fired like the old shipmate stoves? Drip fed? Electric blower? But smaller than on a tugboat or caboose? How big is it?
Old 27-02-2012, 18:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Reiter View Post
about your missing in action camera download cord; Walmart has these little devices like a flashdrive that are cheap. You take the sim card like thingy out of your camera that's next to the battery and plug it into your USB port and download your pictures, then put it back into your camera--if you can't find the cord. Is the stove oil-fired like the old shipmate stoves? Drip fed? Electric blower? But smaller than on a tugboat or caboose? How big is it?
It's very small, maybe 18 inch oval and 12 inch high. No electric blower or oil feeds. It burns coal or wood. Almost the same as this one.
Old 27-02-2012, 18:44   #4

Boat: Pearson 281

Congrats Mark. Beautiful stove... I have the same version only square! Happy that Shipmate is back in business! Ought to be pretty handy where you are. People seem to forget that dry fuel stoves used to be pretty common on fishing boats and merchants. I love mine.
There is some information available regarding installation scattered around the web and I am sure that ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks. (looks like you found them already)in PA on the east coast will have info they can send for pretty cheap if not free as a good will gesture. These guys also have accessories worth looking at and this would also be true of Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. out in the Pacific Northwest.
Place the stove as low as practical...follow all clearance guidlines, keep the flu as straight as possible, I think the best deck iron comes from Shipmate... it dissapates heat much more efficiently than the moat style deck irons and adjusts easily to different cabin-top angels find a easy access dry spot for wood etc..
Untreated charcoal briquettes and plain hardwood charcoal don't last like good hard coal (I go through about a third of a bag per night) but workw well , if you are wanting to use coal it is necessary to spackle the interior of the stove with a cement-like protectant that stove sellers know. I use mine for cooking and Navigator sells these very handy alchohol burner drop-ins that work well. You can also get get pot rings that come in different sizes so that you can nestle pots into the open stove-top ports. I have a single burner propane for high temp cooking and as yet I use the wood stove for simmering and keeping things warm.
Shoot, sorry got carried away...I have more installation info. PM me if you have any questions along the way.
Enjoy! Love my stove (burning away cheerily right now with a cold wind howling ouside!) and I live in Los Angeles!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:45   #5

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Man!!! whata Beauty,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
It's very small, maybe 18 inch oval and 12 inch high. No electric blower or oil feeds. It burns coal or wood. Almost the same as this one.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:48   #6

I think to be Environmentally friendly i'd install a propane Burner in the base of it,,and then fill it with Heat retaining Rock,,,that way whatever heat you generate can be held for over nighting.

Old 27-02-2012, 18:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Congrats Mark. Ought to be pretty handy where you are. People seem to forget that dry fuel stoves used to be pretty common on fishing boats and merchants. I love mine.
There is some information available regarding installation scattered around the web and I am sure that ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks. in PA on the east coast will have info they can send for pretty ceap if not free as a good will gesture. These guys also have accessories worth looking at and this would also be true of Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. out in the Pacific Northwest.
Place the stove as low as practical...follow all clearance guidlines, keep the flu as straight as possible, I think the best deck iron comes from Shipmate... it dissapates heat much more efficiently than the moat style deck irons and really well and adjusts easily to cabin top angels find a easy access dry spot for wood etc..
Untreated charcoal briquettes and plain hardwood charcoal don't last like good hard coal (I go through about a third of a bag per night) but workw well , if you are wanting to use coal it is necessary to spackle the interior of the stove with a cement-like protectant that stove sellers know. I use mine for cooking and Navigator sells these very handy alchohol burner drop-ins that work well. You can also get get pot rings that come in different sizes so that you can nestle pots into the open stove-top ports. I have a single burner propane for high temp cooking and I use the wood stove for simmering and keeping things warm.
Shoot, sorry got carried away...I have more installation info. PM me if you have any questions along the way.
Enjoy! Love my stove (burning away cheerily right now!) and I live in Los Angeles!
Thanks for the info. Navigator stove works now have the rights to all the stoves once made here in Lunenburg foundry. The new models are sure are nice.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:07   #8

Oh, and consider making your own flu from copper sheeting... Harbor Freight sells cheap sheet metal tools that work just fine. I need a more low profile flu cap and am considering doing my own.
I'm with ya Nemo environmentaly but the best thing about hard fuel, and the thing that makes it worthwhile is the way it can dry out the boat on a damp night... I've heard propane isn't a very dry heat source but I dunno.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

we have had a morso squirrel wood burner for the last 5 years that runs 24/7 during the winter putting out about 4kw of heat fantastic and economical to run about 40 kg of coal briquettes and 10kg compressed wood logs a week.

though boy does it make a mess! tar on the decks and dust/lint inside not to mention the mess pouring coal and wood chips make in the cockpit!

have recently replaced it with a kabola drip fed diesel with a back boiler,since i,ve also replaced all the ceiling panels and didn't fancy every thing going yellow again!

if you can handle the discolouration ,dust and mess and chain smoke they are great!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:09   #10

I would still think about using heat retaining rock even with coal or wood,,it just makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Oh, and consider making your own flu from copper sheeting... Harbor Freight sells cheap sheet metal tools that work just fine. I need a more low profile flu cap and am considering doing my own.
I'm with ya Nemo environmentaly but the best thing about hard fuel, and the thing that makes it worthwhile is the way it can dry out the boat on a damp night... I've heard propane isn't a very dry heat source but I dunno.

Old 27-02-2012, 19:16   #11

Boat: 29'

I'm guessing you might have been enthusiastic after cleaning the stove...so Light the stove outdoors with small fire-some dry wood scraps- first to Burn the stove-polish off. Call it "Burning IN " if you like... A bit of cheap chimney pipe keeps the draft for this.

I hope that's not just paint on the stove that's pictured. No paint sticks. It all burns,stinks, and falls off...Please Don't mention so called engine enamel or barbecue paint....

Woodstoves are dirty.Coal is finefine ash and stinks bad(poisonous to modern folk) if damped down and you are in it's way to leeward... Coal can also get incredibly hot if that little stove is straight stacked up to a breeze. A RedHot stove is scary.
Choose wood.

Avoid putting it under a sail sailing. Downdrafts... especially to windward. having the Stack forward nearer mast seem worst for this...and so on.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:27   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive used wood stoves aboard for years! they have a lot of good points"dry heat helps a bunch in a humid boat invirement!" but a good working diesel heater works even better!! and keeps your boat a LOT Cleaner inside and out !! Plus keeps your need of a seperate heating source(wood coal ect) to just one thing diesel, which most of us have already!! I got used to diesel stoves in the PNW fishing boats, and have put diesel heaters on all the boats Ive owned in the past and will install one on our new boat when we find it ! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:55   #13

I have to agree with Boband Conniethat it is a less efficient way of heating a boat... I think the diesel stove is a great idea and as time goes on who knows, but still... I've been using a woodburner for 3 years of winters and springs on the regular and it doesn't have to be that dang messy... the flue/smokehead get cleaned twice a year, I clean the ash out after each use. This keeps things neat and clean. For some the effect of a good woodfire may not be worth it but for others...

Appreciate the warnings on personal use of coal, it certainly is a dirty fuel but again, used properly on a small scale need not be such a problem. My old man use to burn it when we went to our duck hunting cabin... it does need to be vented properly... just like any stove and it does burn hot that's why the stove has to be protected and why you may not want to use too much at a time. I would never want a red hot stove around either. Like anything else it's all in how something is used and from what I remember the upside was that it heated for a looong time and banked all night you could count on a fresh blaze in the morning.

The best argument against coal for me is the environmental impact of large scale coal excavation by blowing the tops off of mountains or strip mining and for large scale use in powering cities etc. defiantely a problem that might keep me from using it just out of principal but not much to do with it's effective small-scale personal use as a heating.fuel.
Old 27-02-2012, 20:42   #14

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I've got a Dickerson Alaskan oil stove on board and it works ok except that it gets carbon fouled every once in awhile.
I'd prefer a wood burner and I'm getting around to building one out of stainless.
You get 3 heats out of burning wood - 1 from gathering firewood - 2 from humping it to the boat - and 3 from burning it!
We gather driftwood and burn it at the house - doesn't cost much and I get a little exercise to boot!
I'm going to build my wood stove with the ability to burn propane as well - in case I get to lazy to gather wood. I've built oil stoves on my fishing boats using a Dickerson burner and they worked great!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 22:19   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The only real thing I have agains wood is the bugs that seem to find places to hide in the wood when it comes aboard ! I have a real thing about spiders !! got bit once by a recluse, never want to go through that again UGGGjust my 2 cents again LOl Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote