Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 10:10   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Any Folks I Still Know On Here?

Eric, I'm glad you've returned and that all is well with your family. 'looking forward to hearing about what you'll find as a new boat.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25   #32

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Believe it or not the rescue guys took the wheel, it's sitting in their hangar up near San Francisco.
Welcome back You and your family had been in the same marina in SD where I had my boat for a little while. Heard about your adventures from Kathy shortly after you left so it was really sad to hear about the loss of your boat.

As to the wheel, a couple of friends are rescue swimmers in CG SF. Let me know if you'd like me to ask them about it....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25   #33

Boat: Looking

Hello RH,
Happy to see you boat shopping again. Although I haven't met you yet, my sister Lisa and her husband Buck were slipped next to you in SD before you left and had nothing but good things to say about your family.

I have been wanting to sell our house and everything else to buy a boat and take-off to ???? My 2 daughters are ready and I think my wife is almost on board.

I'll let Lisa know you are on CF, best wishes

Mike
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:30   #34

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You're glad I am not your Tennant? What's a Tennant?

Commercial Cleaning Company - Indoor & Outdoor | Tennant
David Tennant | The Original Fansite

Or did you mean to say tenant? If so, are you saying you're glad I am not your tenant because I made an observation that boats by their very nature are transient and have a way of appearing and disappearing without notice?

Well, okay. Good on ya!

Glad you're not my landlord.
I think the poster was referring to RB's daughter drawing on the walls. As to spelling, if that were a threshold criteria for posting, there'd be a whole lotta fewer messages
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Welcome back Eric, how are the little halyard climbers doing, bet they are growing like weeds.

On twin screws, at the academy my freshman year it was a single screw vessel, learned to use spring lines and your crew. 2nd year twin screw, what a walk in the park and the prop separation isn't as near the distance of a cat. My senior year's thesis was on minimum wetted surface vessels and at that time the ferries in the UK were just starting to use them and I had a lot of info from those UK companies for my paper. Not only was the average speed of passage was higher, fuel burn lower, but ship's stores realized that there was a large drop in the need for seasickness bags. Ask atoll, I think by now his ferry service in the UK has probably all switched to cats.

Now for cruising I'm torn between a cat and tri. For passages would prefer the tri, for time on the hook I'd want the room of the cat. Either of course is very sensitive to weight and its placement.

Which boats are you currently leaning towards? I used the word "leaning" because as a cat or tri owner you won't have many usages for that word any more.

Again, glad to see you back, you Charlotte and the girls have a lot of friends here and we all want to see you enjoy the cruising lifestyle. The girls benefit so much from both the experience and the serious time spent with you. Keep us posted as to your plans.
Bob!

Hey good to hear/read from you again!

The maxim/voyage 38, privilege, and lagoons seem to be showing up over and over again. I've seen some other ones that have the price/size/layout I'm looking for, but I haven't really scouted out the "bluewaterness" of them.

I honestly haven't considered a tri; the few I've been on are fast but just so damn small. I think a tri for our space requirements would be *huge*. The "small" ~40' cats seem like a hell of a lot of boat that still seems manageable.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Welcome back You and your family had been in the same marina in SD where I had my boat for a little while. Heard about your adventures from Kathy shortly after you left so it was really sad to hear about the loss of your boat.

As to the wheel, a couple of friends are rescue swimmers in CG SF. Let me know if you'd like me to ask them about it....
Oh I love Kathy! The whole crew over there at Sun Harbor is terrific; we're on the waiting list for a ball in America's Cup Harbor there, so hopefully we'll be back as quasi-sun-harbor-tenants fast enough.

I'd hate to take something back, but maybe when we get the new boat I may ask those guys if I can get the wheel back and mount it in the bulkhead. I'll have to get them a kegerator or something in return I imagine.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Hello RH,
Happy to see you boat shopping again. Although I haven't met you yet, my sister Lisa and her husband Buck were slipped next to you in SD before you left and had nothing but good things to say about your family.

I have been wanting to sell our house and everything else to buy a boat and take-off to ???? My 2 daughters are ready and I think my wife is almost on board.

I'll let Lisa know you are on CF, best wishes

Mike
I remember them! Has your wife checked out Women Who Sail on facebook? I think nearly every sailing female is a member at this point, and it's got a whole different vibe than most of the typically male-dominated sailing community. There's a lot of great people on there, if your wife is interested.

Maybe we'll meet you out there; it's a small sailing community, and a *really* small sailing-with-kids community.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Welcome back Eric .

Despite the sea being a harsh mistress, the addiction to hard to shake, isn't it . Hope you are back on the water soon.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:19   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Welcome back...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57   #40

Boat: csy 37

Welcome back. I was one of your avid followers. Was sad to read the unfortunate end of your voyage. But stuff happens. Our neighbors spent two years prepping their boat for their retirement cruise. Less than a month out they were dismasted and had to motor back.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:58   #41

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Bob!

Hey good to hear/read from you again!

The maxim/voyage 38, privilege, and lagoons seem to be showing up over and over again. I've seen some other ones that have the price/size/layout I'm looking for, but I haven't really scouted out the "bluewaterness" of them.

I honestly haven't considered a tri; the few I've been on are fast but just so damn small. I think a tri for our space requirements would be *huge*. The "small" ~40' cats seem like a hell of a lot of boat that still seems manageable.
I agree, a tri for just me works, but a family of 4, not such a good fit.

Of the production cats I like Catana and Outreamer. For custom builds Shuttleworth, Chris White, Grainger, Schionning, Roger Hill, Crowther to name a few. I know what your probably thinking, they all have the common denominator of being fast, which is true but I like them for cruising for the simple reason that when not going fast, rig loading is a fraction of that of a lower performance boat at the same boat speed. To double your speed you need 8 times the power from your sails with the accompanying stresses. So a heavy condo cat is at max stress at 12 kts whereas a proper performance cat at the same speed is seeing 1/8 of the loads. These performance cats do not carry much fuel because they are capable of sailing at or above wind speed up to 10 kt. So finicky little 5 kts of wind might give your old HC enough speed to maintain steerage, in a performance lightweight cat your ghosting along at 6 kt, not bad, huh?

It of course depends on your mission statement. For pure sailing on passages with minimum to zero fuel burn, a lightweight performance cat fills the bill. If motorsailing with 300 gallon fuel tanks is the choice, there are a lot of really plush production condo cats to choose from. A lot from the charter trades fit in the latter, but sometimes only have 60~90 gallons of fuel. With the lack of performance combined with < 90 gallons of fuel, long passages might produce a bit of range anxiety if the winds don't cooperate.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 13:04   #42

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Eric,
Last I saw you was on my journey with Martin in La Paz. I followed this forum and the news articles and was so happy that you and your family survived and are now ready to start shopping for your next adventure.
Sometimes dealing with Navy and the Coasties is a pain in the b--- but when you need them they are wonderful to have around.
Old 12-10-2015, 13:17   #43

Welcome back, good to see you back. Yes we are here and onry as ever! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:08   #44

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

I knew you were thinking about dipping the toes again, because of a post you made on your blog a few days ago. Congrats on the new decision!

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2015, 14:42   #45

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Welcome back Eric.
Good to see you in the market for a new boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebel heart banner.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	110849  
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote