Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 17:43   #61

Boat: Boat
Re: Anxiety from Offshore Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I haven't been offshore much yet but it does give me a little anxiety of realizing "wow, we're way out here and if this boat sank we'd be in deep trouble."

I would sincerely appreciate any feedback on this...
Thanks!
ETAP Yachting

"The only unsinkable Yachts in the world
Condensation free
Highly thermal and acoustic insulation
Double-skinned deck and hull give stable structure
Interior in sound structural polyester"
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 18:33   #62

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

you don't have to go far from land to be out of sight of it. As Ann said in an earlier post it depends on the land height but even the highest mountain can disappear through the haze when cutting across from point to point.

My wife said I wasn't allowed out of sight of land, that didn't last, now the rule is, so long as she knows it's there. I'd like to cross oceans, she's not to sure, but I think she will.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:09   #63

Find a captain or truly experienced person to take a few voyages until you develop some confidence. It’s like having your first solo when learning to fly. Take the ASA 103,104, and 106 courses as that will give you confidence. Use satellite communications with weather program and lean how to use your navigating equipment. If you can take please look at ASA 105 snd learn navigating with charts. Install s Navtex receiver as that also provides weather and marine safety information. I have crossed many oceans snd seas and as long as you watch the weather snd can understand how to navigate the rest is enjoyable. If you have to ask yourself if you should or should not set out because of weather ...don’t!
I suggest having a hand held marine GPS battery powered and s hand held VHF DSC radio in case you lose your electrical system. Use a PFD snd harness and tether when weather kicks up snd add Jake lines to your boat for the tether. Most important is keep an hourly log of your position snd progress so you can see if you need to make any course changes to your destination and to record your great adventure. It is a great feeling to leave the world behind but yes it is s but scary the first 20 tines 😜
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:20   #64

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

I'd suggest getting as much off shore sailing experience as you can - OPB - On Other People's Boats.
This is easy.
Go to SailOPO.com. This is a crew placement network that can help you get offshore time on a variety of boats, with experienced skippers who have made the voyages many times.
Watch the Videos and listen to Hank Schmitt.
I shot the videos.
You may have to pay for your first 2 week offshore delivery, but after that, these deliveries are free, all you pay is transportation to and from the boat.
This way, you get to learn what boats to consider, what gear to have onboard, who to have along as crew, where to go, what it's like to weather a gale at sea.
Cpt. David Lyman
Camden, Maine

https://vimeo.com/232713209
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:26   #65
Marine Service Provider

I am affraid when seeing stranger shore. In open sea You are rather safe, I think
Old 30-07-2018, 08:39   #66

Sailing for some 22 years now. Sailed up to the arctic, sailed in the north atlantic, the south pacific, the Indian ocean... And still get some anxiety every time I set sail. Once I am out there for a whle, a great calm sets in and I start enjoying myself. Which is why I still keep sailing.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 09:53   #67

Boat: Cal-40

It would be a lie for me to say I was not nervous the first time I headed over the horizon. I shall never forget that first night as the lights of shore faded away and when light came the next morning I was alone with nothing but the boat and water.
But I was excited too and there were many things the first few days at sea to keep me busy so my mind was occupied. It think it would have helped if I would have made that first passage (Deltaville Virginia nonstop to Martinique Island) in the company of another vessel. Perhaps this might be best for you. Find another boat and travel with them. As long as your in radio contact you feel no so alone.
Nights are the worst, I sail solo. What’s I found helps is if you go to Wal-Mart and buy half dozen of the 3 dollar solar garden/lawn lights. They come on at night automatically. I placed a few around the helm and these seemed to give me a feeling of security. At anchor I place one on the bow and another on the stern.
Sirius/XM radio works to Bermuda and all the way to Trinidad if you install a good antenna. Buy your antenna at a truck stop, the kind that Semi trucks use its much better then the cheap light ones for cars. Music and news programs is priceless out there when your alone.
That first voyage was almost 3 weeks and it was the first two weeks before I saw land again.
So, to answer if it gets better......’. For me it did. No longer do I worry about so many «*what if’s «*, no more is my imagination running filled with fears because I’m going against millions of years of evolution to leave the land. Today I feel more excited and anxious about getting underway, the challenge and adventure, the feeling of freedom, and my growing self confidence.
Have faith in yourself, push towards the edge beyond your known comfort zone because this will expand. Come out here with us, you will be just fine.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:21   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

It is perfectly normal to fear being out of sight of land for the first time. What you need to build up in your mind is faith in your boat, your navigational equipment and yourself.... especially if you plan to single hand. Being fearful is a sign you will be cautious, so welcome the feeling...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:36   #69

You phrase your question / post by asking about a sense of 'anxiety' in other people.

In your question / post, I noticed you discuss other people and their feelings.

While reading your question / post, I noticed you never addressed any feelings you might experience during your time afloat.

What does it mean to you by taking a few sentences to get around to asking your "...quick question..."?

I get the impression you are avoiding the 'elephant in the kitchen'. I might be way off base here, but I get a sense of distancing in your question / post. Avoidance. I could be wrong, I often am.

Fears, including 'anxiety', can be overwhelming. It happens to everybody... Navy SEALS, Law Enforcement Officials, public speakers.

The child frozen at the top of the slide on the playground.

I can only give you my experience. As I write this, I can hear the words of my grandma Mae and aunt Jane:
Two people can have different experiences of one event.

I was a commercial pilot. Part of my training included the INSANITY of intentionally JUMPING out of airplanes WHILE THEY WERE FLYING. [emphasis in original]

I noticed I hated the getting ready part.
I hated the pounding in my chest.
I hated the airplane moving around WITH SOMEBODY ELSE AT THE CONTROLS. [emphasis in original]

Crouching at the open door with a hurricane blasting me, well, I guess you probably know my feelings about that.

Then... freedom. A few moments of delicious freedom. Laughing with the joy of it all.

Somebody else might like the getting ready to skydive, but be terrified during free-fall.

I can't help you. I can only say:
"You never know until you do it."
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:57   #70

I have one other point about fears:

Caffeinated beverages.

The adrenaline dump from caffeine can overwhelm normal senses. Caffeine can cause normal folks in normal situations to activate their fight-flight-capitulate-negotiate responses.

If your body == I'm taking a leap of assumption here == is feeling fears, you might want to look at the stuff you put in it.

A diet of artificial flavors and colorings and pesticides probably causes a different reaction compared to fresh local seasonal organic.

I know it does for me.

Your experience may be different.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:58   #71

As another who is just getting into sailing, but has about 28 years of flying (professional and for pleasure) under his belt, I completely share you concerns. I look at all these elements of cruising, and it feels like day 1 all over again.

Every post here shares the same kind of sentiment you can feel before even the most routine flight (I've never been so in touch with the firing of spark plugs as I was the first time I flew solo, at night, in weather, in a single-engine aircraft).

At work we use a threat & error management model for flights (TEM)--a form of crew resource management. It's easily applied to any activity that requires a lot of prep, quickly changing environment, and a certain degree of consequence for mistakes---hey, just like sailing!

PPR: Prepare (for what you can)/ Repair (when you stray from what's desired) /Recover (from undesired states). The goal is to keep it all between Prepare and Repair. As an instructor I used to play the "what's next" game with students. Try to anticipate the next 'thing' that needed done. Eventually, you get used to having enough "next's" lined up that you're comfortable with the 'events' as they are handed your way.

I'd imagine cruising is just as unforgiving for carelessness or neglect as flying.
thirtywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:07   #72

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Just as in flying, where it is air, not water, it’s the edges that get you, not the middle. Mostly. [emoji15]

So true. Taking off is easy, cant really take off "down",only up. Then once "up" you want to put as much distance as you can between you and that "interface" ..... until you get low on fuel then you want back there and that is when the anxiety sets in. Oh, by the way I have fear of heights, but in an airplane it disappears because I know I have complete control.

But with boating, I fear the shore more than the open horizon. And as I tell my guests that express the fear of being out of sight o fland....."Here, off the Texas coast it is only 90 feet away, straight down !!"

But he lack of anxiety comes from knowing you are doing things right, charts on board, compass, lights, radio, Life preservers, Jacklines and harness, told someone where you were and when you would be back, EPIRB, lifeboat, and the list goes on.

Again similar to flying. You do a walk around and assure yourself the plane will fly and continue to do so until you want it back on the ground.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:22   #73

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Preperation preperation, preperation. Use your nervousness to make sure you have done everything possible to be ready for what may happen. Breakdowns, weather etc. Do you have decent saftey gear, and know how to use it. Are you prepared for a heavy weather situation should it arrive. This should include the ability to Heave To. Read, talk and listen to people like Skip Novak( Utube) Lin and Larry Pardy’s book on storm tactics. Once you learn these thing just keep an eye out and your situational awareness going. You will be just fine.....Good sailing to you
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 15:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Great point.

I think it also has to do with the size of the boat and just getting used to being offshore.

For example, I've crossed the Adriatic Sea (rough conditions too) in an overnight ferry, and have also been on many cruise ships... never once was I afraid of the fact that we were far from shore. On the other hand... I was recently on a jetski in the Bahamas quite a distance from shore (could easily still see it) but had an 'eerie' feeling when focusing on the deep, dark water below me... and was afraid to fall off into the water.

Thanks for all the great insights, everyone!!
it's not the size of the boat. You are safer in a small well built boat than a large weak one. If you are confident in your vessel you should feel less anxiety. I have a Prairie 32 which I have sailed for 25 years and I know she is capable of putting up with far worse weather than I am!
dcorbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 15:27   #75

If you want to get the first hand experience of one couple who started with a zero knowledge base to buying a boat learning to sail and taking it offshore leaving from Victoria BC traveling to Brisbane Australia. The trials and tribulations are set out in detail in a new book Dreamers and Doers Sailing the South Pacific" by Arlene Galisky which is available on amazon.com
daveball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore