Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 15:41   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Annapolis Boat Show

The Teach and I are planning on attending the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show in October of this year.

For those of you who have attended previous, are there any special things that we should include while there? This will be our first boat show, and we're open to suggestions. Looks like we'll be pretty busy.....

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:37   #2

Re: Annapolis Boat Show

While I can not pin point any one thing in particular to see or do while there I can tell you it is a great boat show. So go planning on spending the day and climbing aboard many types of boats/ships.
It is where we learned about Tri-marans MANY years ago.
Also take a camera. Enjoy!
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:58   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Annopolis Boat Show

Make sure you have a Jalepino Hot dog and a nutty buddy ice cream cone...both outside the fence down near the traffic circle....The roast beef sandwich at the Fleet Reserve is great..

Wear comfortable shoes, and check the weather..It can do just about anything..heat, cool, rain..I've seen it all.

Since I'm not in the market for a boat, I tend to hit all the tents..have a shopping list of things I'm interested in...and then visit the boats..the earlier you get there the easier it is to get on the more popular models.
Old 31-07-2011, 03:15   #4

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I'm FINALLY making it to the Annapolis show this year (it's a long way from L.A.). YAY! I've heard there's a real neat schooner ride around the harbor that I intend to do. I'm combining it with 4-5 days visiting DC (I've never been). I just read the other day that Trawlerfest is being held in Baltimore that same weekend. I'm wondering if it might be fun to attend that for a day, it's not that far really.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 04:50   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If you get Boat Show fatigue, John Paul Jones crypt is under the chapel at USNA. Their museum is worth a peek as well. Not nautical, but if you like historical homes the Wm. Paca house is within walking distance as well.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 05:58   #6

For Mike in LA....
Baltimore and DC are about 30minutes apart. I live 10minutes from downtown DC ant the Capital building. There is SO much to do in DC. If you want feel free to send me a message and when you are here. Happy to help you figure out what to do while in DC. It really is a great city. The zoo is a huge attraction as well as the many museums we have (The Smithsonian, art galleries etc).

As for the Annapolis Boat Show...There is a lot to do there as well. Great places to eat all around and yes, the tents are very cool.

WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:39   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I've heard there's a real neat schooner ride around the harbor that I intend to do.
That's Woodwind see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ZFc85g&cad=rja
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:48   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Some of the really expensive boats require reservations. If there are any you want to see then get your reservations in early. As an aside, I think this practice should be banned from the show. Everyone should be able to see all of the boats...this is why it is called a Boat Show and not an Exclusive Boat Show.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 07:59   #9

Be there when the gates open in the morning. Getting on boats and generally moving around the docks is much easier The people working the displays are also much fresher unless they partied too much the night before.

At noon I leave the show and go find a sit down lunch in Annapolis to get off my feet. Then return and do the equipment tents which are never too crowded and get you out of the sun if it's hot.

After that, it's time to buy a pain killer (or two) and wander around the docks chatting with the incredibly knowledgeable people who can be found at this show. It's as simple as standing by a boat and asking anyone standing next to you (who is not carrying a plastic bag of brochures) what they think of the boat.

If you really are thinking of buying and can get the money to do so, make it clear to the salesguy. A friend who's worked the show for decades says that only about 1 in 250 at Annapolis will buy a boat from anyone in the next year. He loves to talk to his old customers and even the guy who's been "looking" for 15 years but to stay in business he has to find that one guy out of 250. There are only a handful each day.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:21   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

Thursday, VIP Day, generally less crowded. Bring a camera, something to tote all the literature you'll accumulate, slip on/off boat shoes. Some of those really expensive boats are privately owned and would rather not have hordes of people trampling up their brightwork, so I don't blame 'em for being selective. I religiously head over to the Davis Pub in Eastport when I've had enough of the show (and after a couple Painkillers), about a 20 minute walk or so. Great burgers and beer. Also a good day to go see all the For Sale used boats over at Jabin's and Port Annapolis.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 19:44   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 41

All great advice so far.

The show is so big that it is easy to be overwhelmed with all the boats, bits, bikes, biminis and bunches of people. It is best to prioritize before you get to the show so that you can make the show produce real value for you.

Looking for your first boat or a serious upgrade from your current one? You will probably spend most of your time looking at boats, climbing all over and poking into the lockers, etc. This is the great reason to have a camera. Take a minimum of 2 - 5 standard pictures of each boat. I always liked to take one from the helm looking forward, one from the front of the cockpit looking back toward the helm, one down below looking forward (include the galley) and then from the bow looking backward. A final picture of the tallest person in the owner's berth completes it. The pictures give you a good way to start sorting out your impressions.

If you are a monohuller, break the mold a bit and take a look at some of the multihulls. If you are a multihuller, stop and see some of the innovation going on with monos.

Especially if you are a first-time boat buyer, beware of the boats that seem sooo comfy at the dock. They might not perform that well at sea.

If you already have a boat, then you will probably spend most of your time in the tents looking at all the various gadgets. Again, a little prep is helpful. What are the top ten(?) items you want to see? The competing vendors might be scattered all over the show, so planning in advance can make the best use of your time.

Don't forget the Cruising World seminars. They are always a great intro into the aspects of boating that are important to you, plus, you might get a chance to speak directly to some wonderful folks who have been "out there".

I always preferred to sit down at the Fleet Reserve Club with a cold beer and a pit beef sandwich. A lot of vendors take their breaks there, and it can be a cool place to strike up a conversation that leads to unexpected benefits.

As an aside for Sun Goddezz. I would love to meet you, because anyone who can make it from DC to Baltimore in 30 minutes could ONLY be a Goddess!

- or you would have to be part of a caravan made up of black, bullet-proof limos/Suburbans

BOTTOM LINE: A great show that will call you back again and again!

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show