Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 16:32   #1

Boat: *future* 36-50' trimaran
An Earnest Beginners Search For Advice?

Dear Sailors that are more experienced than I,
(anyone reading this post!)

Right now I am in South Florida.

I am on a quest to buy a 36-50' Trimaran, my budget is between $15-80,xxx. Ive had a lot of haters on that figure, but Ive just crossed the country from Oregon, looking at as many boats as I can, and you might be surprised what I've found! Nothing fancy, and only one that wasn't just glass over plywood, but Ive been saving money, I feel like I have a lot, but none the less its all I have to spend.. And the less the better!! But this is a lifestyle adjustment plan for me, not just a hobby, and I feel like if I am able to preform all the maintenance myself, (which I am more than interesting in mastering those skills) that I could take an old plywood boat around the world..
Call me crazy?

Ok, sorry for the lengthy rant, but the advice I'm reeaaally looking for, (which I guess is also the crazy part) Is that I don't reeaallyy have any real experience sailing...Been on the water plenty, but under power.. Now, I have a crew that is going to come along once I buy a boat, and that includes a very experienced captain, who is certified to train as well. However, even though I have been studying like crazy, and have played with the hobbycats and stuff, I really want to find a solid but modestly priced sailing school to get sharp before I come close to finalizing a purchase.
Like I said Im in S. FL, but I can travel a bit.. Id like to find something that would take me from basics to advanced (Full Time, and Im a quick learner) in 4-6 weeks? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, even advice on alternative ways to prep!

Thank you all!

Jeffrfsparrow at gmail dot com
Jeffrfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 18:12   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: An Earnest Beginners Search For Advice?

Aloha Jeff,
Try ASA or USSailing on a search. They are the ones who offer those types of courses. They should be in your area.
kind regards,
Old 20-02-2014, 02:03   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Formal training a good way to get knowledge quickly, albeit not a substitute for experience. But that can come later in own time / at own pace.

I suggest also getting time under sail on other people's boats, variety of boats and skippers! Will teach a lot from the variety of approaches.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:55   #5

No, you're not crazy for chasing a dream.

The harsh reality is you currently have neither skill or experience. I suggest before you drop even one cent of your money that you instead sign on as crew on other boats. Work the deck, stand the watch, work the galley, show desire to learn about all systems. At least for now, traveling the world on OPM is better than on your own dollar.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hi Jeff
I have a few weeks available where I could squeeze you on a course at a reduced rate either ASA or IYT, you can fly down to the BVI on Spirit for around $90 each way at the moment.
Courses usually start on a Monday, I have some free reading material that I could send you by PDF to get you started if you like, PM me.Steve
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 16:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There are sailing schools in Florida- but Steve sounds like a pretty good deal. The absolute cheapest way would be showing up on the docks and washing decks for sailing time.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 20:35   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrfritz View Post
Dear Sailors that are more experienced than I,
(anyone reading this post!)

Right now I am in South Florida.

I am on a quest to buy a 36-50' Trimaran, my budget is between $15-80,xxx. Ive had a lot of haters on that figure, but Ive just crossed the country from Oregon, looking at as many boats as I can, and you might be surprised what I've found! Nothing fancy, and only one that wasn't just glass over plywood, but Ive been saving money, I feel like I have a lot, but none the less its all I have to spend.. And the less the better!! But this is a lifestyle adjustment plan for me, not just a hobby, and I feel like if I am able to preform all the maintenance myself, (which I am more than interesting in mastering those skills) that I could take an old plywood boat around the world.
There are some nice Marples type Trimarans in La Paz in the anchorage. They look in great shape other than being covered in guano. You might be able to get on of those cheap.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 22:15   #9
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

I heard the tri from Water World is for sale.
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 00:43   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I heard the tri from Water World is for sale.
Discussed in a previous thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-117412.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:23   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There are some nice Marples type Trimarans in La Paz in the anchorage. They look in great shape other than being covered in guano. You might be able to get on of those cheap.
And, the bus ticket from Tijuana to La Paz is pretty inexpensive. Only takes 24 hours to get there.

Tags
arc