Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 18:13   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: America's Cup....Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I think Chicago is already out of it. Down to San Diego and Bermuda now.

Correctamundo
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 20:43   #17

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ya...in slow motion with those bay winds.
I have had a different experience in San Diego Bay during the last four years.

My boat, with a 61 foot mast, is docked on Harbor Island where we live aboard and have done so for the last four years. Most afternoons July - October we see 15 knots gusting into the 20's almost every afternoon.

I sail a 17 foot planning hull boat three or four days a week from Harbor Island in the middle of San Diego Bay. The boat is designed for two sailors and I single hand most of the time. About half the afternoons the boat is quite over powered and a real handful to deal with. The winds increase dramatically from the north end of Harbor Island out to Ballast Point.

An AC boat designed for 12 to 18 knots would be a great sail most of the summer months in the Bay between Ballast Point and the south end of Harbor Island.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 21:39   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The problems with San Diego is that the Bay itself is not really big enough for a full course without substantially interfering with vessel traffic. Especially military traffic who will be happy to say clear the course while we pull one of our carriers out.

If there were willing to sail in 8-12' water that would open up huge chunks of the bay where not even the military wants to go, but I think the boats draw to much to want to risk that.

Going outside the bay there is plenty of room but then the water lumpier.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 21:50   #19

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The problems with San Diego is that the Bay itself is not really big enough for a full course without substantially interfering with vessel traffic. Especially military traffic who will be happy to say clear the course while we pull one of our carriers out.

If there were willing to sail in 8-12' water that would open up huge chunks of the bay where not even the military wants to go, but I think the boats draw to much to want to risk that.

Busy? Yes, tell me about it.
Old 09-08-2014, 21:52   #20

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I could sail down for a visit if it were held in San Diego. I work the whole water front and would love to be able to watch.
Old 09-08-2014, 22:04   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

My boat, with a 61 foot mast, is docked on Harbor Island where we live aboard and have done so for the last four years. Most afternoons July - October we see 15 knots gusting into the 20's almost every afternoon.
Ya...guess I was there during the off days...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 22:06   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My theory is that Coots and Allison are doing this dog and pony show in hopes that SF asks for them back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 23:13   #23

Quote:

Again, that has not been my experience sailing in the bay many times a week.

Every summertime Wednesday afternoon and evening the beer can races have 100 to 150 boats starting from the center of Harbor Island on courses that go SW to Ballast Point and SE under the Coronado Bridge. They have no problems with the military traffic.

I am out there many afternoons a week and have only seen an aircraft carrier underway twice this year. I live where I can see the Bay most of the time and I am pretty sure I only see military traffic a couple of times a week.

I sail my 40' boat out there quite a bit and sail on other people's bigger boats even more frequently. It is a note worthy sight when we have an encounter with a Military ship.

There are Saturday and Sunday races on about 20 weekends a year and 50 to 100 boats compete. I can't remember every seeing a conflict with a military ship during those races, either as a competitor or a shoreside observer.

Dockmates here sail and race F-24s, F-28s and Reynolds 33s (all 20 knot boats) on the bay many times a week. I can't remember them having any close encounters with large warships.

The US Navy, Marine Corps, USCG, San Diego sailors and racers have been cooperating successfully for many decades. I can't image how a couple dozen, or a couple hundred AC races would cause a problem.

Remember - the AC44 fleet was here for two weeks in November 2012 (?) and raced dozens of times in the Bay with no problems.

Just my opinion base on a lot of sailing time in San Diego Bay.
Old 09-08-2014, 23:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Busy? Yes, tell me about it.
Not to belabor the point - BUT

HALF the boats in that picture are tied up on the mooring balls off the NE tip of Shelter Island.

About half the time I sail between 3 PM and 6 PM near Harbor Island I am the only boat on the water between Harbor Island and the Embarqadero.

The Bay is very busy on weekends, holidays, and race days but I am astounded at how few boats on on the bay in the middle of the afternoon in mid-week.
Old 09-08-2014, 23:27   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

While the AC45s did race here repeatedly they are much smaller boat than the AC72s

While yes there can be 100-150 boats racing at once, the AC is qualitatively different than any local race. Specifically they don't share the course with anyone nor the buffer zone around the course. From that point of view the Bay is too small. Outside there is plenty of room and no traffic.

Adelie
Old 10-08-2014, 09:37   #26

OK

Let's have an American boat defend the America's Cup in Bermuda where it is so much easier to watch than in San Diego.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:43   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

San Diego is out of consideration. Not enough wind to make for an exciting race either. The race has to appeal to the general public which will find boats going around a course at less than 10 knots to be boring. Sure, sailors who already understand sailing will find it interesting, but we are a small minority of the public and our viewership alone does not even pay to set up the television cameras. We don't see NASCAR races below 100 MPH do we?

Too bad San Francisco politicians are stupid, political and blew it.

Chicago definitely has wind in the Summer, like SF Bay does.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:53   #28

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:

What will happen when one of those boats hits some kelp at high speed?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
San Diego is out of consideration. Not enough wind to make for an exciting race either. The race has to appeal to the general public which will find boats going around a course at less than 10 knots to be boring. Sure, sailors who already understand sailing will find it interesting, but we are a small minority of the public and our viewership alone does not even pay to set up the television cameras. We don't see NASCAR races below 100 MPH do we?

Too bad San Francisco politicians are stupid, political and blew it.

Chicago definitely has wind in the Summer, like SF Bay does.
While SD may be out the running, it is not for reasons of wind. As TS says there is plenty of wind here afternoons when the seabreeze kicks in.

The AC72s don't run at 10kt, more like 20-25 which is a lot more exciting even for the general public.

From a spectator point of view SD would be great, lots of places to watch races in the bay from, especially Pt Loma.

I don't oppose the races coming here, I'm just pointing out they wouldn't work here with the current boats.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
What will happen when one of those boats hits some kelp at high speed?
I expect the same as in SF. I think SF has about the same amount of kelp as we do.

When I said it was lumpier outside the bay, I meant bigger waves and swell.