Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 02:05   #61

Re: Amel 64 , will it sail in light winds ?

Thanks , ...
Braavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:42   #62

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

For what it's worth, I have a lot of the same requirements... diving gear and compressor, toys, etc, goals of being quite independent and long ranging travels in distance and time, but I also have 2 partners (one of whom needs a writing studio) and 3 cats! We picked an Amel Super Maramu as the largest boat we could sail as shorthanded as we needed to, that still had all the room for what we needed. Even with all the electrics, 53 feet is as big as I'd feel comfortable if I ever needed to singlehand anywhere. I know, you'll always find some superman who singlehands an 80 footer somewhere, but coming from a place of no sailing experience, your learning curve will be bloody steep. That said, the guy I'm buying the SM from is only a couple, and they're trading up to an amel 54, so to each their own
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:10   #63

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The biggest mistake people with money but no experience make in buying a yacht is overestimating how much time they have to spend on board. If you're not going to be spending at least several months a year on board, then you are better off chartering ("If it flies, floats, or f****s, rent it"). The other biggest mistake is underestimating the costs. A yacht is nothing at all like an expensive car -- buy it, put it in the garage, drive it, take it in for service a couple of times a year. Even a small sailboat requires almost daily maintenance, and a 60'+ yacht needs more or less full time attention -- at least one full time person dedicated to keeping her clean, maintained, and repaired. A 60+ foot yacht is more complex than a small plane, and more expensive to run. It's not for nothing that we say that the definition of cruising is "boat repair in exotic places".
Yes, I fully agree, not to mention the costs with the crew, or the Captain salary that is normally an annual one.

An advantage with a bigger yacht for someone that has the money to it is that it can be moved by the crew and serve as an "house" in different cities and countries, even for doing local business. That is nice and not comparable to be on an hotel, but again the costs are much bigger.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:30   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes, I fully agree, not to mention the costs with the crew, or the Captain salary that is normally an annual one.

An advantage with a bigger yacht for someone that has the money to it is that it can be moved by the crew and serve as an "house" in different cities and countries, even for doing local business. That is nice and not comparable to be on an hotel, but again the costs are much bigger.
Indeed!

Living on a large comfortable yacht is absolutely wonderful for some people. Change scenery as you like, and you always have a waterfront view! Sailing is a bonus! It might not actually be all that expensive compared to living in an expensive house in a good neighborhood in a megapolis like London or Moscow. The price of an HR 64 is maybe three times less than the cost of a nice 3 bedroom flat or house in a good neighborhood in London, and the running costs are not all that much different. The salary of the pro captain being the main difference, but you don't have property taxes on a boat (if you register in the UK or another favorable jurisdiction).

A good friend of mine lives most of the time on a 200 foot motor vessel I helped him choose -- happy as a clam. He cruises the world and stays at anchor. Such vessel requires a large crew, but other than the captain, they are not that expensive. He told me that he was spending more living in London previously. The vessel has ice class and he simply goes wherever the hell he wants. He has fleet broadband and goes to work every day -- on his own boat. That's the life, if you can afford it! I can't!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 17:35   #65

Southerly 480 ..

After carefully discussion and revaluation . For my first boat I'm buying a smaller. Boat .

Contracted a two-man crew. and flying over to start start developing a new custom built, 480 , .
.... until then .....chartered a 47 which is a predecessor to the southerly 480.

Southerly was bought out by Discovery. and basically the same boat , other than the Keel design.

Whether, this forum likes a hull design or not .
I really don't care ...
happy sailing , to all of you.
Braavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 19:08   #66

Boat: Norseboat 17.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braavos View Post
Southerly 480 ..

After carefully discussion and revaluation . For my first boat I'm buying a smaller. Boat .

Contracted a two-man crew. and flying over to start start developing a new custom built, 480 , .
.... until then .....chartered a 47 which is a predecessor to the southerly 480.

Southerly was bought out by Discovery. and basically the same boat , other than the Keel design.

Whether, this forum likes a hull design or not .
I really don't care ...
happy sailing , to all of you.
Hey, that's great. Glad you've found a boat you like, and I respect that you've gone for a shallow-draft capable (stunningly capable!) boat, and that you've downsized your vessel to a much more manageable platform. Good for you, trying out a similar boat so you know that the choice is based on time on the water.

I'm setting up a charter now, and am struck by how limited many boats are for finding anchorages on the Fla west coast. Your boat would nestle into hundreds more spots than the 44 footer I'm renting.

I'm sure you've watched a few Distant Shores episodes, and wish you as much adventure as that couple has enjoyed aboard their Southerlies.
phillysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Amel wind performance, sail, wind