Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'
Am I expecting too much

As preparing my boat for launch has been taking so much longer than anticipated, every few months I am renting a boat to spend a day at sea. Get my fix as it were. We found a place for $150.00 we get a 22' Catalina until 8:30 the next morning. Their website says it has port a potty, AM FM CD player, solar power for the batteries and all required safety items.

The first time we rented from them we sailed around the bay for the afternoon. We had a marvelous time and were so proud we were actually able to make her go where we wanted to. "Next time" we vowed "we go out into the ocean. Several months pass and precious is still on the hard. I can stand it no longer I need to sail.

We arrive at the dock Saturday morning we tell dockhand our plans are to watch the sunset before returning. Winds are favorable for sailing out of the channel so an hour or so later we leaving the channel entering the Pacific Ocean. We go nowhere really we just sail around watching dolphins and pretending we are really sailors. Laughing at our own lack of skills. We decide we should watch the sunset astern as we sail back in the channel. A very poor decision as we completely lost the view to Point Loma. As its starting to get dark, I send my son Josh below to turn on our lights. He reports lots don't work. We drop sail and motor in arriving at the dock just before full dark.

Months go by. Still Precious is on the hard. I'm not working on her as much as I was at first. I need to remind myself why I am working so hard. It's time to sail again. This time my son and his wife split the cost with me. When I call to make my reservation I share with the woman the problem we had last time with lights. I ask if there is anything I can do to ensure the boat I get has working lights. She kind of got an attitude with me. "We always intend for everything to work on our boats".

We arrive at the dock Saturday morning. As we prepare to shove off we check to see if lights work. They didnt. We ask the dock hand to find us a boat with working lights. 20 minutes later we shove off. We motor out to the channel and stand out to sea. As we leave the channel entering the ocean, all wind dies. We watch everyone else motor away. We don't need to drop the outboard. Sitting still is as much a part of sailing as flying along at four kts.

It's a marvelous time. We sit just outside the channel. We were visited several times by dolphins and I think I saw a whale. We watch a beautiful sunset, turn on our lights and start up the outboard to return to the marina. Ten minutes later all power dies. Tensions are high as we motor back in complete darkness. Knowing we could easily wind up with a ticket for being on the water or equally possibly, get hit.

Several vessels pass by, most yelling at us! We almost made it in when we see a power boat coming at us far too fast. We yell and sound our horn. At the last moment he sees us and veers away missing us by mere feet. I don't know how to express the relief I felt when we finally tied off at the dock. The next day I fire off an email sharing my experience. I get a call from someone who is properly apologetic and offers me a credit.

Months go by. Precious is still on the hard. By now I have learned what I truly have in front of me. I chastise myself for not working harder, as I call to reserve our boat. I called the manager asking if he could insure I had a boat my family would be safe on. Having learned enough by this point to understand its my responsibility to keep us safe, I purchase portable lighting. What the heck, it can be back up on my boat in case I have electrical issues someday. I NEVER want to be out at night without lights again

We arrive at the dock Saturday morning. I check in and the nice young lady informs me they have a boat set aside for us. I'm thrilled as we pack up our dock carts with all the crap I think I need for a few hours afloat. I find the dockhand and ask where the boat is. "All the way at the end" he tells me. The first thing my son does is check power. Of course there is none but that's no tragedy since I do have lighting. Nevertheless, if we can get a working boat that would be preferable. I return to the deckhand. I tell him that's got no power and he tells me to go find one that does.

"Mac said there would be a boat here and ready for me. The girl in the office just called you. Do I really have to hunt for it"? I ask. The dockhand tells me that she called him and he gave it out thinking they were me. Now we didn't see anyone enter the office. Nor did we see anyone sailing away, but who am I to question a mans honesty. I just want a boat. The gentleman spends about ten minutes finding us a boat with full power and shoves us off.

The winds are not favorable. The are coming from straight up the channel. We raise sail rather than using the outboard. We need to learn to beat upwind anyway. A couple hours later we are finally approaching open ocean. My son comes up from below to inform me the port a potty leaks. There is a big puddle down below. We reverse course and sail back to get a new boat. There is still enough time to go sail around the bay.

As we return we discuss how a business could maintain there equipment so poorly. My daughter in law, who is kind of a hothead, wants perks. She works my son up a bit where he's informing me how we should get an upgrade. At this point I point out "we give them $150.00 once every few months. You go in there with a bad attitude and they can decide were just not worth it. When we return you find us a boat and I will go see if <name> is there.

As I'm walking up the dock my son catches up to me and informs me he was sent to insure I was sufficiently stern. I again point out that I don't care about electricity any more I do have lights. Although leaking waste is a problem. We enter the building and I ask for the man who has been helping me. He's off today I'm told. "can I help you?" The gentleman asked.

I gave him the readers digest version of my experience. He goes and confers with another man who comes out to inform me that he doesn't think they can satisfy my needs. "We rent these things every day, usually for half days. Nobody stays out after dark. How about we just give you a refund!"

So here are my questions. First am I expecting to much? I don't need a working cd or anything. Hell i would be afraid to use the battery. I was shocked that they decided i was more trouble than i was worth when all it takes is charge a battery the night before i arrive. My inclination is the competitions boats are probably in about the same condition. Is this true?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Am I expecting too much

I don't know about their competitors, but they indeed sound like what begins with an 'a' and ends with a 'hole'.
I'd copy your review here and put it on internet where reviews apply. Buyer beware, but let others be forewarned.

And try one of the competition. They can't all be equally bad. Well, hopefully not, anyway.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:25   #4

Seriously. Is there NO place else that rents boats in your area? Why would you keep going back to this place and keep giving them your business?

Maybe I'm spoiled by having a half dozen places within a couple of hours drive that rents/charters boats. A place like this, though, even if they were the only game in town? I don't think I would keep giving them my money.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:57   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

There was a hint given to you...these boats are good for sailing during daylight hours ONLY; no sunset sailing should be attempted! You're lucky that the outboard motor worked every time, never-mind the leaky head! Get going with your boat's restoration! You deserve some quality sailing time with your family. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:06   #6

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'
I'm glad to here ip my expectations weren't too high. I didn't think I was expecting too much. As far as why I keep returning, I totally expected a satisfactory boat. There are other rental/charter places. I myself am an hour from the nearest point of shoreline so a couple hours up or down the coast there must be several. I know of one other in S.D. their 17footer cost me 120 and she needs to be back before 5pm. The first time we rented was from that other company. Their boat wasn't really in better condition. The starboard cam cleat wouldn't hold the sheet. And we spent the day holding it by hand. Heh maybe this is just what sailing is about, something always needing repairs?

I need to quit giving people money to use their boat and get mine done. I didn't want a project. I walked away from several boats because they weren't sail ready. I'm not quite certain what happened here. /chuckle. My biggest fear was she would never get in the water. I have made enough progress I feel confident she will sail. But by the gods! She better sail well!
Old 03-06-2013, 14:23   #7

Boat: Beneteau 323
I'm pretty sure I've rented a dozen times from the same place as you. It's cheap and they allow people with minimal experience to rent. They have always been laid back and friendly to me.

The Catalina 22s they rent are intended for day sailing. They have a couple of bigger boats for intended for overnighters at their Coronado location, but you will pay a premium.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" applies in this case.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 14:46   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

How much do you have left to do on your boat to get it in the water. Maybe paying some general labour to help you get yours in "Good enough" condition for a day sail instead of giving it to the charter people might be more beneficial. Also look around and I bet you can find a few solo sailors that would be more than happy to have someone go out for a sail with them for the day.

Cheers,
Mike
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Pity the CG or whoever is responsible doesn't read CF. Any sort of inspection would have them sorted in two shakes of a ducks whatever.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 16:23   #10

Boat: American Tug
In these sorts of posts i wish we would name the business, unless I missed it, so some might choose to avoid giving them money. So much of the world does not care about accountability, but sailors need if for no other reason than safety
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 16:38   #11

I worked as a charter captain in San Diego in addition to have our own boat there for a few years. Are you just getting stuff from seaforth? Those guys are okay but it's fairly high volume / low care factor. But that's also the charter fleet in general for you.

My friend Lance in San Diego is a great captain and can probably point you in the right direction. We had a smaller hunter in the fleet that he works in as a charter captain which you might want to take out. Lance's info: https://plus.google.com/111574088161835252433/posts

JWorld also had great boats but you'll pay for it.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it but it might be time to toss a decent flashlight in your backpack that you're taking with you? Even for just a dinghy trip, but definitely on someone else's boat even just for a harbor cruise I'll bring some basic safety gear. Handheld vhf, flashlight, jacket, whistle, my own harness/inflatable pfd, etc.

There's obviously a problem with the boat but if you're putting the whole outing together than you're the captain, and it's sort of your deal to make sure you have what you need or a viable alternative if you're short on some system.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 17:12   #12

We have done a lot of chartering all over (week plus usually) but, my girlfriend demands we have a Captain & cook/crew. I do not object because I am there to enjoy the cruise for the time we have and do not want spending it learning an unfamiliar boats systems. I prefer to be kicking back with boat drink and not checking engine fluids or fixing stuff that breaks in the limited time we have on board. I don't really mind fixing things on my boat though. It goes with the ownership. I think you really need to get your boat in the water and stop wasting your time and money with this outfit. Nobody is going to take care of a boat like the owner. Certainly not a dockhand working for minimum wage. This outfit obviously just wants to deal with people who want to spend an hour or two on the water. Not someone like you who likes to have a full day and take it all in. Take that $150 dollars you spend on the rental and maybe hire someone to help you get your boat in the water sooner. You can still work on a lot of things while the boat is in the water too! Then you will be able to make sure everything you need to sail works and stop wasting your precious money and time trying to find a boat that is functional from this outfit. Plus you can stay out however long you please and go wherever you want to go.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:51   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Why not save the money...double your efforts on your own boat and get her in the water?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01   #14

Well, I think you KNOW what to expect.

You're paying $150 a day, and you can expect a boat that can sail during the day. The night thing is more than you can expect for that amount of cash.

If you want something else, look elsewhere, and see if you can get what you want.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over with the expectation of different results.

Now you know why people pay the ridiculous amount of money it costs to own a boat. It's not a cheap hobby.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Grandpa View Post
My inclination is the competitions boats are probably in about the same condition. Is this true?

This is how the free market works. The way to find out is to try it. Or get your boat in sailing condition.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote