Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 20:47   #1

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Almost time

As the weather up in the Northeast is getting nice. Its getting alot closer till I can start to put everything to test and get her moving in the water.

Dropped the rudder off of my fist sailboat to a local shop few days back. It had a slight bend in the shaft just above the rudder. The boat is a Aquarius 23' with the drop in style rudder in the cockpit. I am guessing it was left in one day as someone was pulling it out of the ramp.

Stopped by today and he said it was done. I did not expect it to be straight and finished so soon. He unbent it very nicely like it never was bent. I am so excited to get it in the water.

There is only really one major project needed till I can leave her at the docks. The hatch seal was wooden and has rotted. Not bad for being a 73' and original. After thinking about it all winter long. I feel maybe a good weekend and it can be redone. I do not know if I want to use lumber or just some metal to make a lip the hatch can seal to. I really do not want to buy a hatch if I can avoid it. I have also been having troubles to locate a hatch that size hence to rebuild a lip for the hatch to seal to. If i remember right its about 14" by 16". Tomorrow I am going to measure it again.

I just like to say thanks to all for being active on here as I have learned a lot just by reading and others ideas. Soon enough I can put some of the lessons learned out on the water. Then I may have questions after putting everything I tried to absorb this past winter to the test. Hoping maybe 3 weeks to drop her in.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote